• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian National Expo Draws a record 36,753 fans! Thank you!

89 posts in this topic

Why do you care so much? If you're about the comics and not the money, does it matter? You saw him hand-sign it, it has a background, centimental value. Why should a company have to prove that value. Be happy with what you got. thumbsup2.gif

Actually, Kris was in Texas at the time. He didn't see anyone hand sign anything, someone got it signed for him. So nothing was authenticated, he can only trust the word of the person that got it signed for him. Normally that would be a CGC witness and it would be submitted directly to CGC.

djsupes:

don't know if I totally agree with that. the certification is a valuable thing to have, even if it is to show other people and have as part of your collection. Plus, it is important because value has to factor to some degree into any collectible. Perhaps it should not be the overriding factor but certainly a factor.

Well, actually CGC Signature Series verification is useful if you ever need to prove or disprove the authenticity of an autographed comic book for resale purposes. If, say you wanted to resell your autographed comics (which you may never want to do but things happen), a ungraded signed comic will be a tougher sell than one with the Signature Series yellow label where the buyer has more than just your word behind it and they also know the condition of the book itself. It should help with a faster sale with a higher price, especially if you are selling it on eBay.

Yeah, I know about that I was just reffering to personal collection. I sold a raw Batman (2nd print) for $100 on eBay in the summer, and a SS one went for $200 something. CGC always raises the price, especially SS.

This is why I was thinking of buying an ASM 300 (venom one) and getting CGC SS after, hopefully, getting it signed by Stan Lee. Then flip it on eBay. But I'm still rethinking it as the ASM 300 is quite expensive..

Anyways, I saw a 9.6..or 9.8? ASM 300 signed by Todd McFarlene go for $500 BIN on eBay.

The problem sounds like you need some sort of mediator in order to resolve the issues between the two parties.

However, the solution that has been implemented in order to solve the problem is NOT a good one. Putting a con directly up against the Toronto Comiccon simply for spite is really not a good thing. For one, I'm sure most people in Canada have either heard of the dispute or ask themselves the question, why on the same weekend?

Now, here in the states, the Big Apple and Baltimore were a week apart, and it did not seem to hurt either show really, although the September Big Apple seemed dead as a door nail, probably because it is the less high profile of the two shows. But to me, the better result isn't to have one or both shows suffer, but rather to have two successful shows.

Working out your differences does not mean you have to try run each other into the ground.

You guys might be the third largest con, but I hear no buzz about your show. Nobody in the States here talks about it that much or really anticipates it. Now, while you probably got a nice attendence, and I'm sure it's great, it's never spoken about as one of the "best shows" to attend by even our Canadian Board Members. I've never heard one of them bring it up. Compound that with the fact that none of the creators I've spoken to have ever stated on their websites or anywhere else that one of their favorite shows is your Toronto show.

I've got to be honest: I've met and hung out with Peter Dixon and like Kevin Boyd a lot -- these guys seem like really good guys and straight shooters and have consistently been great at shows. That bias aside, I think bringing this dispute into an arena where the only people that could possible be hurt by the two shows so close together are the fans.

Your explanation still doesn't really explain away the fact that there's only so many dollars to go around, and you are inevitably making the fans choose between the shows often times. Purely from a fan standpoint, having Stan Lee come to a show is a huge deal, and that's why for me to make a trip all the way to Canada, I have to have a great reason: Stan the Man is it. Also, the Paradise show has had a ton of great guests in the past, and from those people who I know who've attended both shows, they seem to prefer the Paradise show, hence why I am going to be attending that one in April.

I will not be in Boston, but will definitely go to the National in NY.

Kevin,

Good to hear from you... That wasnt the only other reason why CGC did not appear at the Canadian National Comic Book Expo. You know the other reason, which I will not disclose publicly, as we dont publicily bash other events...

We may not need CGC there, but it would be good to have them at the Expo...

Kevin, you know I tried very hard to resolve things with you, and I think WE were doing a good job to the point that we almost had a deal, until your partner came in the way squashed any chance of resolution...

Kevin, you know my point of view very well, as I have been upfront and honest with you in our numerous meetings... In ANY deal, both sides need to give, until that happens, no type of deal can be made.

During our last meeting, we discussed the potential dates of the Fan Appreciation Event, though nothing has been confirmed yet.

In respect to competition, you know EXACTLY where I stand with that, and to the best of my knowledge, you understand our point of view... Though we our a multi media event, the comic end of things is still #1 in our event! We are still North America's 3rd largest, and Canada's largest.

"And no, at least for some of us it isn't about money." Kevin you may believe in this, but your partner is in this to try and make money as it is his company...

We dont care for your partner very much, for reasons you know very well. Bottom line is that we are a business trying to make a living, and trying to provide for the Canadian hobby. We will continue to put the best events on and give the fans what they want.

We are very concerned about how the exhibitors do at our event, and as long as they continue to do well at our events, we are satisfied... This goes for the professionals and fans too...

I understand that you will continue to do your show, and I wish you the best of luck with it. We will continue on providing quality events for this hobby. We are here for the professionals, dealers, and ultimately the fans.

To anyone else reading this post, I wish I could elaborate more and give you the facts that you are unaware of, but I think it is best that this be kept between the people that are involved...

Any questions? feel free to post, and I WILL respond to the best of my abilities...

regards

hsm

You guys might be the third largest con, but I hear no buzz about your show.

I think he meant 3rd largest in Canada behind Dixon's and Boyd's Paradise Con and Greggy's Short Shorts Extravaganza in back of his palacial Vancouver compound...

AS for cons in the states that would "outrank" this show:

Any Wizard sponsored Con? If not, San Diego, WonderCon, Chicago, Megacon, Baltimore, Motor City, Heroes Con? confused-smiley-013.gif Are we talking strictly ranked by attendance? Which may not be fair since the Canadian National Expo is not a comic show per se...more like getting dvd bootleggers, gamers, weapons dealers, and strippers together in a room all together and praying that all hell doesn't break loose tongue.gif

I think (Bad) Aman and Kev just need 10 rounds in the Octagon and throw in a sack of 50 large to make it interesting?

Since we've spent so much time talking about this stuff over the summer I've grown to like Aman considerably, he's a very personable guy and I hope that in the future we can work together on some projects to help promote comics. As I've said to him many times, my only problem with him is this counter-programming strategy they tried last year and may try again next year.

But I do agree that maybe this would be better served by a 10 round bout between Aman and Peter Dixon.

I see darth diesel likes to be a *#*&@ disturber... Buddy, I dont think you know what you are talking about... We are the 3rd largest event by space, and attendance in North American, behind San Deigo and Chicago... We are considered by many as the San Deigo Comicon of Canada...

dvd bootleggers? weapons dealers? strippers? Which show are you refering to?

hsm