• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's CAPTAIN AMERICA 4 NEW WORLD ORDER starring Anthony Mackie (TBD)
1 1

108 posts in this topic

After taking on the mantle in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, it looks like Anthony Mackie will headline his own film with Captain America 4 officially in the works from Marvel Studios. The series showrunner Malcom Spellman is returning to pen the ---script which will continue the adventures of Sam Wilson as he embraces his role as the new Star-Spangled Avenger in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Given how the finale of Falcon and the Winter Soldier shaped up on Disney+, this is not surprising. And after all of the teases the show's creators made about a second season, this is the logical next step.

The new report from the Hollywood Reporter says that casting and directing prospects are currently unknown, though it seems unlikely that the project would continue without Mackie or Winter Soldier actor Sebastian Stan.

Executive producer Nate Moore previously teased plans for a followup during an interview with IndieWire earlier this week.

"We’ve definitely kicked around ideas because we always like to keep thinking about where things can go, but we also, frankly, in the crush of the pandemic, we’re just trying to finish the show and make sure it got out in a timely matter," said Moore. "Hopefully at the end of this season, you will see the potential for what we could tell in a subsequent season."

Edited by Bosco685

While not confirmed, sources say the project Spellman is writing could be one focused on Anthony Mackie’s Sam Wilson character while the possible Chris Evans Captain America project would be separate. Deadline first told you that Evans is in talks to reprise Steve Rogers.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier as a series has focused on the events post Avengers: Endgame in which Evans’ Captain America is assumedly dead (everyone talks about him in the past) with Wilson deliberating whether to take up the shield. For a spoiler recap of Falcon and the Winter Soldier’s season finale, click here. Spellman, a former co-EP of Fox’s Empire, has tackled many of the current day Trump era issues including anti-immigration, domestic and international terrorism, #BLM in his story of Sam Wilson’s Falcon and Bucky Barnes’ Winter Soldier.

No director or casting attachments as of yet. Marvel wasn’t available for comment.

The final episode of the Disney+ series teased an MCU future for multiple characters ranging from John Walker (Wyatt Russell) to Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp), but many are also hoping to see Eli Bradley (Elijah Richardson) again. The character was introduced as Isaiah Bradley's (Carl Lumbly) grandson and was featured a couple of times throughout the series. Of course, Eli is Patriot in the comics, so there is a chance he will be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's inevitable Young Avengers. Yesterday, Richardson took to Instagram and teased a future for Eli in the MCU.

Eli_Bradley.thumb.JPG.77559aa974b393a0e11e44f75064668d.JPG

In the comics, Patriot is one of the core members of the Young Avengers, a team Marvel is clearly building up to in Phase 4. Along with Eli, we now also have Hawkeye's Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld), WandaVisioni's Billy and Tommy Maximoff, Ms. Marvel (Iman Vellani), Ant-Man 3's Cassie Lang (Kathryn Newton), and possibly America Chavez in Doctor Strange 2.

I'm excited about this direction, as I think it is very important Marvel starts getting people used to the idea of the actors/characters changing over time. This will lead to more flexibility down the road for them (compared to the comics where every bit of effort is spent to bend backwards to make the ages and identities stay the same over decades of new material. It barely works there, so a medium where actors age out is extra important to establish legacies and recasting early on)

Having finished the finale of FATWS I'm glad they're going to give him a go as Cap for a new film, the suit looked great with the Shield. Mackie is also one my favourites in the MCU and with a good -script he should be able to carry the film well.

In a new interview on ComicBook.com's Phase Zero podcast, Moore touches briefly on the future of Sam Wilson as a character and what to expect from Captain America 4. While the film is still in the very early stages of development, Moore confirms that Captain America 4 will be different than the first three films and feature a new take on Cap that audiences haven't seen before. Moore confirms that, because he lacks any superpowers, Wilson will be an underdog in most fights and will have to earn his new role as Captain America. Check out Moore's full comment below:

"I think, he's not Steve Rogers and I think that's a good thing. Because to me, this new Cap is Rocky. He's going to be the underdog in any situation. He's not a super soldier. He's not a hundred years old. He doesn't have the Avengers. What happens with this guy who announces publicly kind of, without the support, 'I'm new Captain America.' What happens next? I think is fascinating because he's a guy. He's a guy with wings and a shield, but he is a guy. So, we're going to put him through the wringer and make him earn it, and see what happens when he is outweighed, outclassed, out-everything. What makes somebody Captain America? I'm going to argue it's not being a super soldier. And I think we're going to prove that with Mackie and Sam Wilson."