• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foxing on Moderns?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So...I have a pair of Captain America 241s that appear to be 9.4s except for some specific flaws:

Copy A: damage around one staple, light distributor spray (only visible from the top); light foxing on right side

Copy B: light foxing on right side.

Guesses as to grades?

Specifically, what's the grade hit for foxing of any kind on a Copper book? Automatic 6.5?

Ditto - is distributor spray (only visible from the top looking down) an automatic 5.0?

22 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

So...I have a pair of Captain America 241s that appear to be 9.4s except for some specific flaws:

Copy A: damage around one staple, light distributor spray (only visible from the top); light foxing on right side

Copy B: light foxing on right side.

Guesses as to grades?

Specifically, what's the grade hit for foxing of any kind on a Copper book? Automatic 6.5?

Ditto - is distributor spray (only visible from the top looking down) an automatic 5.0?

Take scans and post the images in the Spare a Grade Thread

Possibly - I don't have a scanner, but can see about a cell phone photo later.

But it should be a simple question - what's the grade hit for foxing as a discreet defect?

My recollection is: not as much as you'd think. As I've owned a few Golden Age Crippen books - a pedigree notorious for foxing -- that were downright fugly. I thought they should be 5.0s but CGC graded them as 6.5s since structurally they were pretty - just with this glaring defect.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Possibly - I don't have a scanner, but can see about a cell phone photo later.

But it should be a simple question - what's the grade hit for foxing as a discreet defect?

My recollection is: not as much as you'd think. As I've owned a few Golden Age Crippen books - a pedigree notorious for foxing -- that were downright fugly. I thought they should be 5.0s but CGC graded them as 6.5s since structurally they were pretty - just with this glaring defect.

CGC can be more "lenient" when it comes to GA books, and will not knock down a defect in a GA as much as if it were in a later age book..