• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought CGC slabbed comic and wondering if it is damaged :<
1 1

37 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

I understand that you were looking at these posts from a completely different perspective than I was. I was a teacher for 38 years, and it was part of my professional life to help people. If someone asks me a question, I just do the best I can to answer it, not unlike @KCOComics. Most of the time, the questions have already been answered before I get around to checking these boards.

:golfclap:

7 hours ago, Ray_Neyra said:

I get from the answers that it is too easy question to be asked in this newbie area. Lesson learned.

Naw, it's a newbie thread, ask away.  The CGC search functions are terrible so it's likely you never would have been able to find the answer to your question without diving through pages and pages of unrelated material.

Welcome to the boards.

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Say what you want about Stu, but I wouldn't use the word "gutless". lol

I would. Gutless, cowardly, bate, insane. 

As Danny Q.  once remarked- how sad it is to lose ones mind. 

19 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Can Google's Soul Be Saved? - Progressive.org

you're right, i should have amended it to say they never would have found the answer using the CGC search function.  I always just amend my google search with the specific site i want to search.  In this case, "rainbow cgc case" yields a post about Newton Rings in the first two results.

15 minutes ago, djzombi said:

So this is literally the newbie forum, and a newbie has a newbie question and gets mocked for not using a different resource than one specifically for newbie questions?  

Correctamundo.

"Newton Rings" are a pretty bizarre thing, and honestly if I was first dealing with them, one place I would go is the newbie forum to seek advice - and not ridicule - from seasoned vets.  

Because that is what the newbie forum is for.  You know, for asking a question a n00b might bring up.  

Your comments aren't friendly, welcoming, or helpful.  

Maybe if a question doesn't pass your "legitimacy" test, you can step aside and let members with some actual patience help a new person out.  

9 hours ago, Ray_Neyra said:

Oh. I did not expected that my question will spark such discusion. I will say that I could probably try searching for something like marks on CGC case, but as I checked it was not on exterior case but rather inside I did not think about it.

About "return on ebay". If you have such problem maybe write about it on auction description if you know given comic have it? lol.

You asked a perfectly reasonable question. I have been on these boards for a few months and have been asking questions as well. I will ask any question I feel is relevant to my situation and the majority of responses are positive but I have also been scolded by a few know-it-alls who seem to have nothing better to do. Just ignore those people and concentrate on the responses from those who are trying to give you relevant information. And do not apologize because your method of inquiry does not measure up to someone else’s standards.

2 hours ago, djzombi said:

So this is literally the newbie forum, and a newbie has a newbie question and gets mocked for not using a different resource than one specifically for newbie questions?  

I think it's really a case of doing the bare minimum of leg work before asking a question, which in most cases is a Google search.  "rainbow color on CGC case" immediately provides an answer as the top result.  Maybe OP did that and got something else, I don't know.  But increasingly the internet has created an atmosphere of "tell me now" instead of "show me how".  I'm not saying this current scenario fits the bill, but it is prevalent.  I don't think OP was out of line asking this question because it is a weird thing that I wouldn't expect anyone outside of the hobby (and by "hobby" i mean the sub-group that collects slabs) to know, but I get where a lot of the mockery is coming from because for every half valid question, there are 10 that are just as easily answered via Google.

Example, in the Marvel subreddit, I can't tell you how many times people ask for a reading order for a particular series when they could have just as easily Googled "Hickman Secret Wars Reading Order" and gotten the answer.  I always point to the argument about feeding/teaching a man to fish.

1 hour ago, Out On Parole said:

Especially when those 2 butthurt Noobs have asked and made similar posts lol

Says the guy who "joined 2 hours ago;" probably "quick draw's" dummy account.  

And we're seriously using "butthurt" and sarcastic laugh reacts on posts?  Grow up.  

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I think it's really a case of doing the bare minimum of leg work before asking a question, which in most cases is a Google search.  "rainbow color on CGC case" immediately provides an answer as the top result.  Maybe OP did that and got something else, I don't know.  But increasingly the internet has created an atmosphere of "tell me now" instead of "show me how".  I'm not saying this current scenario fits the bill, but it is prevalent.  I don't think OP was out of line asking this question because it is a weird thing that I wouldn't expect anyone outside of the hobby (and by "hobby" i mean the sub-group that collects slabs) to know, but I get where a lot of the mockery is coming from because for every half valid question, there are 10 that are just as easily answered via Google.

Example, in the Marvel subreddit, I can't tell you how many times people ask for a reading order for a particular series when they could have just as easily Googled "Hickman Secret Wars Reading Order" and gotten the answer.  I always point to the argument about feeding/teaching a man to fish.

Yes, I agree with all of this, honestly.  Including the parts where you say this current scenario may not fit the bill.  

We don't know what legwork was done beforehand, and to reach out for help for something rather esoteric as "Newton Rings" and get ridiculed for it is just too much and reeks of the online bullying and chest pounding that anonymous people on the internet love to do for amusement. 

To me, the original question wasn't like "Hey, what issues of Hulk did Byrne draw?" where you can literally type that exact thing into a Google search bar and get a correct answer.  

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Hit the nail on the head.  I wouldn't have responded at all if the OP didn't say he "freaked out" which seems like a bit of an overreaction to something he could have done 5 minutes of research to find out information on.

BTW, asked OP if this was his first slab purchase and if he had done any research before buying slabs and my comment was removed for some reason. :eyeroll:

9 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Hit the nail on the head.  I wouldn't have responded at all if the OP didn't say he "freaked out" which seems like a bit of an overreaction to something he could have done 5 minutes of research to find out information on.

BTW, asked OP if this was his first slab purchase and if he had done any research before buying slabs and my comment was removed for some reason. :eyeroll:

Really? I did not see such question. And I am sure that I cant delete posts.

I bought one slab long time ago.
And in last month I bought like ~10+ slabs.
My only research was like try to check prices in gocollect/sold auctions/look on cgc page if serial number is legit.
I did not assume that something so widespread and standardized like cgc slabs can have such problem.
Maybe "worried" or "confused" were better words to use then.