• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Borock says CGC cases need to be changed every 8-10 years
3 3

221 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I don't want to imply that you aren't capable of accurately grading your own books. On the other hand, just about everyone can claim to be accurate graders of books; not everyone, well, is.

So you ARE implying it while not. Schroedingers Implication. LOL!

I remember the good old days when selling a book wasn't like a meeting at Yalta. It has changed in that people are seeing  - say - 9.8 and the buyer is looking through a plastic window and seeing that the book is indeed NOT a 9.8 and perhaps a 9.4. So, the seller is in the position of saying "Well, this IS a 9.8 because CGC/CBCS/PGX whoever SAYS it is." When clearly it is not. Conversely, a seller with a 7.0 which is clearly a 9.0 or 9.2 is stuck with selling a book for perhaps 100's or even thousands less than its true grade. Then the buyer is in the position to say "See? It SAYS 7.0." knowing full well it's a mistake and a sweet book. I have many 7.0-7.5's that are clearly MUCH nicer than the assigned grade. As you say, people fumble.

Even worse is with ebay and other online stores, we are less likely to be able to actually SEE the book. Open it. Check the pages etc if it's a raw book.

I guess I use the same criteria I always have: Does it look good enough to be something I want to buy at a given price. Yes or no?

If I can fumble or YOU can fumble, humans at the grading companies can fumble as well. Obviously. Then add favoritism in and money and there may be less integrity in grading. Or the grader had a bad night or is sick or P.O'ed and doesn't care what he/she grades it.

I just don't recall comic book collecting as being so....tedious....years ago. It was fun for both buyer and seller to haggle and meet somewhere in the middle concerning a grade and value. IMO, grading companies have artificially inflated not the value of a given book but the selling price. A raw 9.0 v a graded 9.0 can sell for 100's or thousands of dollars in difference. Why will I buy a graded 9.6 Phantom Stranger #14 for $800 when a raw, unrestored counterpart is $150-$200? If I HAD a raw #14 in "nm/m", I would be seen as having a lot of nerve expecting $800 for it. Why? The difference between say $1 worth of plastic and perhaps an hours worth of time devoted to having it graded? Say $19? $18 for it to be graded and encapsulated and a dollars worth of material Even if it were $100 for all that, I'm supposed to overpay $700 for what? A snuggly feeling? I dump my coffee on a slab, it's getting to the book. Slower than it would a raw but it's going to mess it up regardless.

I keep my raws in mylar, with a board, away from pets, away from humidity and sunlight. Always did. I pulled a long box out of a closet the other day and the books were the same way I left them 30 years ago.

Edited by Randall Ries

2 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I am sorry to say that Borock is correct. I haven't checked my oldest slabs for awhile, (I have some that were slabbed 15 years ago), and when I went to look at them all I saw was a pile of dust at the bottom of the slab :(

dang

4 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I am sorry to say that Borock is correct. I haven't checked my oldest slabs for awhile, (I have some that were slabbed 15 years ago), and when I went to look at them all I saw was a pile of dust at the bottom of the slab :(

:whistle:

20201219_142832.jpg.cd793e50d685f959d163a571ea7d2edb.jpg

7 hours ago, Mikey C said:

that CGC cases have to be changed out every 8-10 years because they don't let the book "breathe"

Everything's just fine with the CGC case.

Ted seems to be surviving just fine in there!

ted_cgc_cover.jpg

Edited by DanCooper