• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Borock says CGC cases need to be changed every 8-10 years
3 3

221 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, this is for the newbies here who obviously were not around when Steve was in charge of CGC.  :gossip:

Although this is probably the first time I remember him pointing this out about the CGC slabs since he's gone to the new company, he actually brought up this same point on a regular ongoing basis when he was with CGC.  Especially in terms of the need to change out the microchamber paper every 7 years or thereabouts.  (thumbsu

Edgar Church didnt change microchamber paper every 7 years and his books were just fine.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Edgar Church didnt change microchamber paper every 7 years and his books were just fine.

Yes, but he also didn't have them locked and sealed away inside a slab where potential problems could arise with the storage of the books over an extended period of time.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but he also didn't have them locked and sealed away inside a slab where potential problems could arise with the storage of the books over an extended period of time.  :gossip:

The less air and UV that hits a comic, the better off they are.  Old slabs dont cause magical damage.

I mean technically Church books were stored in stacks of newsprint-and just look at em-

9 hours ago, Qalyar said:

I don't consider Borock's opinion here to be reliable, because he has a vested financial interest in his current company.

9 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

Borock isn't the smartest cookie when making public statements in relation to his company

Unlike this one time since working for the new company, since Borock used to say this about the CGC holder and microchamber paper on a regular and ongoing basis when he was in charge of CGC, he must have been a lot more unreliable and an even dumber cookie when he was working at CGC as compared to now.  :devil:

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Unlike this one time since working for the new company, since Borock used to say this about the CGC holder and microchamber paper on a regular and ongoing basis when he was in charge of CGC, he must have been a lot more unreliable and an even dumber cookie when he was working at CGC as compared to now.  :devil:

Dumb cookies :cloud9:
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe by Tasty

9 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

check out the latest pedigree story here, Chinatown pedigree, the books were not even wrapped at all, they were found in the kitchen cupboards in the basement

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8508/

and here are some samples of the GA books, they are near pristine

Well, the books from this latest GA pedigree (i.e. The Promise Collection pedigree) also looks pretty pristine from their dripping wet colors and I can't wait to hear how this collection of some 5,000 GA beauties were stored, as it looks like the majority of them are going to be graded into the high 9's:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

flashx.thumb.jpg.d2fd2c7b3bfb60c52c7133beb8309e2d.jpg

685312938_1619578382464blob(2).thumb.jpg.1409457d5840de3f50b78f51761d5d3d.jpg

25 minutes ago, kav said:

I mean technically Church books were stored in stacks of newsprint-and just look at em-

It should be pointed out that the Church books, the Chinatown books, and I bet that the books from this newly designated Promise Collection were all stored raw in large piles with comic book against comic book with no air coming in between them.  Unlike now with the slabbed books, where they are stored NOT through stacking on top of other comic books, but by themselves individually within these fabricated manufactured slabs.  hm  :p

Edited by lou_fine

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It'd help if you knew at what context I'm referring to as well

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, the books from this latest GA pedigree (i.e. The Promise Collection pedigree) also looks pretty pristine from their dripping wet colors and I can't wait to hear how this collection of some 5,000 GA beauties were stored, as it looks like the majority of them are going to be graded in the high 9's:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

flashx.thumb.jpg.d2fd2c7b3bfb60c52c7133beb8309e2d.jpg

685312938_1619578382464blob(2).thumb.jpg.1409457d5840de3f50b78f51761d5d3d.jpg

It should be pointed out that the Church books, the Chinatown books, and I bet that the books from this newly desiganted Promise Collection were all stored raw in large piles with comic book against comic book with no air coming in between them.  Unlike now with the slabbed books, where they are stored through stacking on top of other comic books, but within these fabricated manufactured slabs.  hm  :p

Yes, inside of heat sealed plastic! It is a very big difference.

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

It's amazing how dumb and dishonest he got after leaving everyone's favorite company.

Since you've been around here even much longer than me, I love the scarasm in your post above.  :wink:

Most boardies around here used to think that Steve was God's gift to grading when he was working for the "good guys" here, and then when he switched over to the so-called "bad guys", he wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1.8 graded book from a 9.8 graded book even if his life depended upon it.  :devil:  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I thought oxygen was one of the catalysts needed to begin the degrading process. Like with everything else. But I supposed a hermetically sealed book wouldn't make it either.

I have changed jobs before when a company stopped meeting MY expectations or took a hard right and sacrificed quality and integrity to allow for unheard of cash flow. Maybe that's what Borock did. Sometimes, employees care more about the product or message than money. Especially when they aren't getting raises and/or recognition.

With all due respect, I don't think that was the reason he left CGC. But I can appreciate the sentiment...  :)

One of the earliest graded books( sample slab) still in its original holder. Book still looks like when it was slabbed. 20210403_020506.jpg.b9bf1e052e4675d8ec219374511821c7.jpg

But don't just take my word for it. @valiantman

13 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

I think Borock is correct in that Cgc slabs should be changed out every 8 years. Have seen 1950s comics with fragile spines and creamy paper have the spine almost disintegrate while in the slab. One would only notice if one cracked the comic out (to choke * read) though.

WTF:  Now you tell us after all these years.  :censored:

How about those old slimy yellowing poly bags that I am using to store all of my BA books that I cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS some 45+ plus years ago, or do you think I still have a few more good years of life left in them before I need to switch them out?  :devil:  :wishluck:

23 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

One of the earliest graded books( sample slab) still in its original holder. Book still looks like when it was slabbed. 

Until you open up the slab and the book disintegrates into a cloud of toxic and pungent dust upon contact with the air.  :fear::sick:  

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Until you open up the slab and the book disintegrates into a cloud of toxic and pungent dust upon contact with the air.  :fear::sick:  

(shrug) sell the dust. 20210428_001424.jpg.92e6370eab0e28f39f06a603461d3cc0.jpg