• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHYYYYYYY DID I SELL THAT BOOK?
6 6

85 posts in this topic

At the time I had got the ASM for $488 and the ss for $400, the sideshow statue was priced at $775

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I traded ASM 129 8n cgc 4.5 

And

Silver surfer #4 in 8.0 cream to offwhite for this statue

IMG_20210316_141125218.jpg

I was happy at the time, but figured I'd regret it, even if I'd only traded one and some cash I'd feel better but still have been :(

Lol

I've sold dozens of keys I'll likely never replace in order to buy other keys.  I don't generally regret any of them. Yes,  I wish I had some back and some have gotten so expensive I'll never replace them, but the $$ always went towards bigger books. 

I had a nice mid grade copy of FF52 that I traded to upgrade my DD1 to a 5.0. I think that one chaps me so much because I got an amazing deal on the FF52 after it had been on my radar for years. Then I traded it within days of finally getting it because I had a great opportunity with the DD1. 

Lol I was for sure going to trade the ASM 129, cause originally it was a pgx 5.5, that I had pressed for cgc.

So i was tired of looking at that book

And then i couldnt decide if i wanted to trade the silver surfer or green lantern 76 in 6.5.

None of this makes the story any better lol

Just how far down the rabbit hole I was for this statue :tonofbricks:

And it was Christmas present to myself and so on and on haha

I think reading these posts the sell to buy other books tales seem fine ( I think we all do it) its the ones where you know you will never be able to get that KEY book back into your collections that are tuff to swallow, I mean if you traded/sold your GSX #1 or Hulk 181 in the last 15 months thinking "no big deal I will grab one again" those are the killers. There are a few books at this point I just will not be able to own unless I hit a score & one walks into the store. I just bought a MOKF # 15 from a fellow board member in 9.0 ( paid full retail+ ,for this week anyway lol) & just a few months ago I was going to buy a 9.6 but that ship left the harbor. I am finding myself keeping more modern keys ( sadly that I don't read, Miles who? Spiderman is a kid named Peter) as I am hoping I can trade/sell them down the line for books I want. 

Edited by I am not Glenda

2 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

I think reading these posts the sell to buy other books tales seem fine ( I think we all do it) its the ones where you know you will never be able to get that KEY book back into your collections that are tuff to swallow, I mean if you traded/sold your GSX #1 or Hulk 181 in the last 15 months thinking "no big deal I will grab one again" those are the killers. There are just a few books at this point I just will not be able to own unless I hit a score & one walks into the store. I just bought a MOTK 15 off here from a fellow board member in 9.0 ( paid full retail,for this week lol) & just a few months ago I was going to buy a 9.6 but that ship left the harbor. 

Yes I agree with that

I already had another ASM 129 and I replaced the ss#4 with a 4.0

So not all is lost :tink:

There have been different budgeted things were I agree the ship has sailed, even sad to say with some moderns as well!

Someone mentioned on the last page that 'people have to keep selling in order to keep the machine going' and that's a good point. 

The dealers are smart enough to navigate the waters. They'll always be selling. The difference now with being a dealer compared to 25 years ago is they have to have their antennas up for every movie related rumor...Disney+ news...Netflix and so on. Look how quickly MOKF, Mandarin books have jumped in the last week! So to say that it's tougher on dealers today compared to back in the day is quite the understatement!

Lots of PCH, some I sold here, like Manhunt 14 and Chilling Tales 16,  just before they popped.

SA Spidey's like a beautiful raw #9. But held on to a lot of good stuff too.

Edited by comicnoir

In my years of collecting comics there have been very few that I have sold or traded, but of course they are the ones I wish I had back.. Avengers #4 9.6 Avenges #57 9.4 Vampirella #3 7.0 Traded FF #48 8.0 to a friend 15 yeas ago for

some Conan books- I think he got the better deal 

Thought this might be an appropriate place to ask this question. I am getting out of collecting and have several books I now just look at as an extended part of my investing portfolio that I planned to hold until a movie was announced and a price spike occurred. Well, the spike has occurred without the announcement lol . So my predicament is do I cash out now or continue holding? It is hard to imagine these books going much higher even with a movie announcement...

X-Men 1, X-Men 4, Hulk 181, GSX1, Daredevil 1, FF5

Would you continue to hold these at their current prices or is it time to take some profit? 

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I traded ASM 129 8n cgc 4.5 

And

Silver surfer #4 in 8.0 cream to offwhite for this statue

IMG_20210316_141125218.jpg

I've gone back and forth on getting this one but have held off due to lack of shelf space. Still want it though. 

But to answer the topic, nothing in the range of others but about 10 years ago, I got back into comic collecting and went down to my mom's house and picked up longboxes from my collecting days in the 80's and 90's. 

I thankfully kept many that are blowing up today but some that I do regret selling now are: Raphael 1 (kept Turtles 2 and 3 that have graded 8.5 and 9.0 so would expect at least the same and Thor 337 and GI Joe #1 which I basically put in mylar after buying off the shelf and can only speculate what they would have graded. C'est la vie.

3 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Thought this might be an appropriate place to ask this question. I am getting out of collecting and have several books I now just look at as an extended part of my investing portfolio that I planned to hold until a movie was announced and a price spike occurred. Well, the spike has occurred without the announcement lol . So my predicament is do I cash out now or continue holding? It is hard to imagine these books going much higher even with a movie announcement...

X-Men 1, X-Men 4, Hulk 181, GSX1, Daredevil 1, FF5

Would you continue to hold these at their current prices or is it time to take some profit? 

I would sell all of those especially X-Men 4. But maybe hold on FF5

My AF#15 a few years back.  But I regret infinitely more selling my original art page from Amazing Spider-Man 145 by Ross Andru and Frank Giacoia.  I remember my older brother and I picking up the issue off the stands back in early 1975.  I was incredibly fortunate to work a trade to get an art page from it with Spider-Man in every panel.

For what I sold it for, I probably could have come up with the money I needed a hundred different ways and I kick myself every day for being so stupid.

i sold my entire x-men run 1-66 back in 1995 for $500

guess what ...$500 was A LOT of  money back then and i needed the money and it made a big difference  and helped relieve the stress of debt

now granted, my #1 was about a 3.0 but chances are that if i would have held onto it all these years i still would have sold it a couple years ago instead of waiting until today

have to admit i am STUNNED that a 3.0 is worth 20K ... of course now a seller will get 1099'd from the IRS when he sells his #1 whereas back then there was no taxes on an under the counter sale 

the world has turned upside down ... not sure if  we can sustain the way we are going ,

i just read that the the USA alone has printed 64% of all the money printed in the world since the start of the covid

Here's an email from a sales thread on the old system.  Don't recall the grades, likely VG range.  I think the buyer passed, but they sold at some point for similar prices.  

Here's how I'd price these.

Sub 1 $35

Metal Men 1 $45

Strange Tales 135 $35

HOS 92 $120

Hulk 102 $25

TOS 59 $45

All in would be $290 shipped.

5 hours ago, ft88 said:

Here's an email from a sales thread on the old system.  Don't recall the grades, likely VG range.  I think the buyer passed, but they sold at some point for similar prices.  

Here's how I'd price these.

Sub 1 $35

Metal Men 1 $45

Strange Tales 135 $35

HOS 92 $120

Hulk 102 $25

TOS 59 $45

All in would be $290 shipped.

I bought a G/VG ASM 1 off you back in the day for $1100!

As far as Bronze Age, I sold my X-Men #101 CGC 9.4 (White pages) immediately after watching the abominable Dark Phoenix. The movie was so bad I figured the comic had to drop in value. I guess the people bidding up the comic now never saw the film...   :tonofbricks: