• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHYYYYYYY DID I SELL THAT BOOK?
6 6

85 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

As far as Bronze Age, I sold my X-Men #101 CGC 9.4 (White pages) immediately after watching the abominable Dark Phoenix. The movie was so bad I figured the comic had to drop in value. I guess the people bidding up the comic now never saw the film...   :tonofbricks:

Reminds me to sell mine... what a crappy movie

2 hours ago, piper said:

I bought a G/VG ASM 1 off you back in the day for $1100!

Yes it was a decent low grade book. When I bought it, it was a one book deal and  I remember buying it in an airport parking lot and I had to leave it in the car for a week as I was leaving on a flight. 

Sold my personal run in ultra high grade of Marvel Spotlight #5-11 and Ghost Rider #1-81 for $2,500 in 2015 :cry:

Sold my personal run in ultra high grade of Marvel Spotlight #2-4 and Werewolf by Night #1-43 for $5,250 in 2018... the #32 alone was submitted by the buyer and came back as CGC 9.6 :pullhair:

Sold my personal run in ultra high grade of Master of Kung-Fu #15-125 for $1,550 in 2018, this is the one I have the bigger seller's remorse :boo:

11 minutes ago, ft88 said:

Yes it was a decent low grade book. When I bought it, it was a one book deal and  I remember buying it in an airport parking lot and I had to leave it in the car for a week as I was leaving on a flight. 

I got Stan Lee to sign it a number of years ago.  It came back an unrestored CGC 3.5. from CGC.

It's a keeper.

FF49 CGC 5.0

IH 181S CGC 5.0, 6.5 ,8.5

FF 52 CGC SS STAN LEE 7.5

ASM 101 CGC 8.5

CAP 117 CGC 8.5

ASM 129 6.5 SS STAN LEE, JOHN ROMITA, GERRY CONWAY 

JIM 83 2.0 SS STAN LER, JACK KIRBY

DD1 CGC 3.0, 9.0

ASM 300 CGC 9.6

CAP 27 CGC 5.0

BATS 227 RAW 6.0

ST 158 6.0 RAW

JIM ANNUAL 1 RAW 5.0

ST 110 CGC SS STAN LEE 3.5

IH 180 CGC 8.5 SS JOHN ROMITA

WOLVERINE 1 CGC 9.8

Some interesting stories here.  The reality is if we did not regret selling/trading/losing books, there would be no hobby.  The value in any collectible is based on nostalgia.  If everyone had kept every favorite book or never regretted parted parting ways with them, there would be a lot more supply and much slower increases in value, driven only by new collectors joining the hobby.

Anyway, in my case, I acquired a CGC 9.4 Marvel Spotlight #5 from my dad, who had purchased it off the newsstand.  I sold it for $900 because I needed the money for college.  It's one book I've always wanted to reacquire.  Been waiting to find and win one at auction in same or higher condition and it always just kept creeping up beyond my available funds at the time.  Now, I'd probably need to sacrifice another book or two to fund getting one, but never say never.  :) 

Reading some of these stories fellows it does makes me feel a tad better I guess 

giant size 1 (9.2) 36 months ago

Asm 300 (9.8) 24 months ago 

hulk 181 (9.0) 12 months 

asm 238 (9.8) 6 months ago

and the next book .......... will be asm 129 (9.4w) in the next few months 

All books were sold to either pay off debt and or buy other books I wanted - is what it is I suppose, but sure feels good no their is plenty of others with the same type stories 

SG

1 hour ago, Bballguy74 said:

Reading some of these stories fellows it does makes me feel a tad better I guess 

giant size 1 (9.2) 36 months ago

Asm 300 (9.8) 24 months ago 

hulk 181 (9.0) 12 months 

asm 238 (9.8) 6 months ago

and the next book .......... will be asm 129 (9.4w) in the next few months 

All books were sold to either pay off debt and or buy other books I wanted - is what it is I suppose, but sure feels good no their is plenty of others with the same type stories 

SG

If you used it to pay off debt,  then you won.  Credit card interest will kill you

23 hours ago, mcduckz said:

Some interesting stories here.  The reality is if we did not regret selling/trading/losing books, there would be no hobby.  The value in any collectible is based on nostalgia.  If everyone had kept every favorite book or never regretted parted parting ways with them, there would be a lot more supply and much slower increases in value, driven only by new collectors joining the hobby.

Anyway, in my case, I acquired a CGC 9.4 Marvel Spotlight #5 from my dad, who had purchased it off the newsstand.  I sold it for $900 because I needed the money for college.  It's one book I've always wanted to reacquire.  Been waiting to find and win one at auction in same or higher condition and it always just kept creeping up beyond my available funds at the time.  Now, I'd probably need to sacrifice another book or two to fund getting one, but never say never.  :) 

That was a worthy sacrifice.  College is worth it

I sold two ASM 300 CGC 9.6 for $200.00 each, X Men 129 CGC 9.6 for $150.00 and WBN 32 CGC 9.4 for $750.00 more than 14 years ago.

I sold my undercopies but kept the higher graded copy ASM 300 CGC 9.8 and X Men 129 CGC 9.8 but I miss the WBN 32.

I sold my Giant-Size X-Men #1 CGC 8.0 for $2,300, which was just below the last GPA sale and slightly higher than the average at the time...and then three weeks later it exploded and was going for $7,000. 

It's left me with sellers PTSD and it is making me question every sale I make to the point I'm triple checking my research before pricing anything or even considering letting something go right now :D  

I usually reinvest at least a portion of anything I sell be it comics, stocks, art, other collectibles, etc..

Rarely have I sold something for pure profit on a personal item without doing that.

So the question becomes what did I do with the money from things sold.

I sold a number of shares of Amazon stock at $1600.00 a share to payoff some auction wins several years ago. Amazon stock has since more than doubled that figure. Bad decision? Yes and no. I could have sold off other stocks that haven’t increased as much as Amazon (sorry, didn’t see the 2020 pandemic happening and skyrocketing Amazon stock) so there’s some regret there but what I bought at auction for those shares is around 8X times what I paid and I’m still holding Amazon stock in general so my regret is pretty limited. If you put a little thought in what you do with your money in general you can limit your regrets or at least not be distracted by them. You can’t hit EVERY opportunity that comes along in life but with a little effort you can shake things off  like “missed opportunities” and replace them with “but I did OK so I’m happy”. 

I think people have short memories and that at  times that the reverse can be true. It could be another thread on stuff you bought on a high point that either dropped, stopped going up and became hard to sell due to demand cooling off. Comics like everything else has had its ups and downs but short term memory seems to happen during the feeding frenzy periods…

My dilemma is on the other side of this. I am thinking about selling my All Star Comics #7 CGC 7.0 to fund other books I want. When I think about opening a sales thread here, I am afraid to pull the trigger. The book is a key but is still relatively affordable. I mean, it isn't a Transformers #1 in 9.8 but what is?