• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please invest in database management
1 1

49 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Are you telling me that CGC could have accurately predicted the increase amount? That would be absolute nonsense.

CGC has announced a price increase. CGC then announces the date that this new pricing will go into effect. Are you honestly saying that CGC, a company who is already dealing with issues of receiving and grading in a timely manner, could not figure out there would be a huge crush of people trying to beat the deadline? Anyone with an ounce of common sense would foresee that. On top of that, PSA has basically closed off submissions for a period of time. Do you really believe that CGC could not realize that they would see in increase in submissions?

Cyber Monday was not always a thing. But I am sure that Amazon could foresee that Cyber Monday would lead to an increase in purchases, and they adjusted their servers, databases, and whatever else was needed to be prepared. 

I am saying that this crush in submissions was foreseeable. I did not expect CGC to accurately predict the exact number of submissions, or even a percent increase. I expect CGC to understand that, by issuing a cut-off date, there would be an increase in submissions from people trying to get "under the wire." Remember, we're talking about a company that can't shoulder their current load. 

Edited by Math Teacher

2 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Are you honestly saying that CGC, a company who is already dealing with issues of receiving and grading in a timely manner, could not figure out there would be a huge crush of people trying to beat the deadline. Do you really believe that CGC could not realize that they would see in increase in submissions?

I said neither of these things.

You can never predict exactly how much demand there will be, but you DO prepare for an increase. I bet nothing was done (beyond whatever they already have for normal scaling) to prepare the site for spikes based on the price increase. It was definitely painful over the past week to get books submitted.

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Let's pretend that you're expecting to be shot. You buy Level IV plates. Despite your readiness, you were not prepared to be shot by a missile.

Most major companies know how much load their servers can take. I have no idea if CGC has an internal team or if they outsource (I assume the latter). If they have a vendor or team they pay to handle the server load, that answer is not a good one. I would be looking for another vendor.

In this case, I simply think they knew there would be issues, but it would just be a road bump. I doubt any changes were made, but Im speculating. 

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Let's pretend that you're expecting to be shot. You buy Level IV plates. Despite your readiness, you were not prepared to be shot by a missile.

Have you actually subbed cards through CGC? It sucks a** even when traffic isn't that high. 😂

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Your post could've been edited down to just this. (thumbsu

Im not speculating about your "bullet" analogy. That analogy would not fly with any reputable company. 

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:
2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

How would you know that? I certainly don't. It's not unusual for websites to get overloaded by unexpected volume. It doesn't automatically mean they've dropped the ball on this. They could have but I have no way of knowing that and neither do you.

Really? Are you telling me that CGC couldn't have foreseen a substantial increase in the number of submissions prior to the price raising deadline? If that is what you are saying, it only makes them look more incompetent.

I'm not telling you anything. If you re-read what I said they could have dropped the ball on this and maybe they have but not having internal access to their operation I'm not going to automatically accuse them of incompetence. I have my feelings about it though. They certainly can be better in many ways. Slab QA for one.

A lot of people around here talk like they have all the answers when in fact all they are doing is talking out of their hindquarters. 

Edited by Jeffro.

24 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I said neither of these things.

Maybe you didn't say them exactly, but you suggested that CGC could not have known that there would be an increase in the number of submissions by people that are trying to beat the deadline. Yes, they couldn't have predicted the exact number of the increase, and perhaps they couldn't have predicted the percent increase.

What I am saying is this: Any company that is aware of the current market situation and the effect of deadlines would have to know there would be an increase in submissions. If you're saying that CGC couldn't have foreseen this is not exactly a compliment for them.

Just now, Math Teacher said:

Maybe you didn't say them exactly, but you suggested that CGC could not have known that there would be an increase in the number of submissions by people that are trying to beat the deadline. Yes, they couldn't have predicted the exact number of the increase, and perhaps they couldn't have predicted the percent increase.

What I am saying is this: Any company that is aware of the current market situation and the effect of deadlines would have to know there would be an increase in submissions. If you're saying that CGC couldn't have foreseen this is not exactly a compliment for them.

This was not implied by me.

Speculating that they "did nothing" ignores the possibility that they did something and that 'something' simply wasn't enough.

16 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm not telling you anything. If you re-read what I said they could have dropped the ball on this and maybe they have but not having internal access to their operation I'm not going to automatically accuse them of incompetence. I have my feelings about it though. They certainly can be better in many ways. Slab QA for one.

A lot of people around here talk like they have all the answers when in fact all they are doing is talking out of their hindquarters. 

I have never once said that I have all the answers. I just feel that CGC turned a blind eye to the foreseeable increase in submissions.