• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temporary Grading Facilities ?

18 posts in this topic

Why doesn’t CGC work on opening up temporary grading places in other states to help with the demand? Or is it something they are working on? ... im sure its not as easy as im making it sound but surely its doable. And would only lead to them making more because most people would be more inclined to send in more submissions if turnaround times weren’t as long I would think. I know they are working on hiring more employees  but you can only do so much in one place. ... Just a thought

On 4/28/2021 at 8:16 AM, Kilsh0t said:

Why doesn’t CGC work on opening up temporary grading places in other states to help with the demand? Or is it something they are working on? most people would be more inclined to send in more submissions if turnaround times weren’t as long I would think. I know they are working on hiring more employees  but you can only do so much in one place. ...

Most sports card grading companies are expanding now:

On 4/28/2021 at 9:16 AM, Kilsh0t said:

Why doesn’t CGC work on opening up temporary grading places in other states to help with the demand? Or is it something they are working on? ... im sure its not as easy as im making it sound but surely its doable. And would only lead to them making more because most people would be more inclined to send in more submissions if turnaround times weren’t as long I would think. I know they are working on hiring more employees  but you can only do so much in one place. ... Just a thought

Why doesn't CGC just open a location in every single city in America???  It can't be tht hard to do right guys???????  It only would require real estate purchases, building development, hiring of thousands of employees, billions of dollars of capital, training programs, additional consulting costs, marketing, lawyers, insurance, etc.

The most practical solution would be to have people working different shifts and weekend shifts...I don't know if they actually do this or are strictly 9-5 M-F ..but then again there might be some cog in the wheel that prevents them from processing too fast. I did see a video in which a grading takes a minute for very high grades and up to ten minutes for very low grades (if it has a lot of problems). They do thousands of grades per day..so, I would imagine that the limiting factor is the ability to physically seal them in mylar and slab them. If you significantly increase production, you would have to do so along every point of the process..that would take time to hire and train the personnel as well as update any non human infrastructure even within the same space...and even longer at another space (like Nathan mentioned)

Edited by Ed Hanes

5 minutes ago, Ed Hanes said:

The most practical solution would be to have people working different shifts and weekend shifts...I don't know if they actually do this or are strictly 9-5 M-F ..but then again there might be some cog in the wheel that prevents them from processing too fast. I did see a video in which a grading takes a minute for very high grades and up to ten minutes for very low grades (if it has a lot of problems). They do thousands of grades per day..so, I would imagine that the limiting factor is the ability to physically seal them in mylar and slab them. If you significantly increase production, you would have to do so along every point of the process..that would take time to hire and train the personnel as well as update any non human infrastructure even within the same space...and even longer at another space (like Nathan mentioned)

They have reported that recently they have been allowing employees to work on the weekend to catch up even more.

3 minutes ago, Holku said:

They have reported that recently they have been allowing employees to work on the weekend to catch up even more.

Yes, I suspect there's unlimited overtime for graders.

As to the OP's post.  Opening different locations might work but I'd think it would be just as easy to continue expanding their current facilities in Florida.

I sent an email letting them know that simply increasing their grading and encapsulation speed by 500% would eliminate their backlog problem.

But they don't want to listen to me.

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Much like temp field hospitals for covid maybe CGC can apply for some of that sweet gubmint bling to open temp field grading centers. 

Hell, send me everything I need and I'll turn my basement and garage in a grading sweat shop. 

Can't they divert the money from the global hunger problem and use it to solve the card grading backlog?

I mean....if you feed someone today, they're just going to be hungry again tomorrow.......but a PokeYerMom card lasts forever.

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

I mean....if you feed someone today, they're just going to be hungry again tomorrow

Maybe they can eat the cards. Roughage man, roughage! Bellies will be full and colons will be healthy. That'll clean you out tout suite