• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider Girl 1 (1998) Pink logo error?

20 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't think it's faded.  It looks like it was printed without blue ink as @Neurosis138 described. 

That's a manufacturing error (usually gets a CGC green label).  Still cool, though.

Yep, definitely not faded.  There is no Blue on this cover.  I may send it in just for fun.

2 minutes ago, Neurosis138 said:

Yep, definitely not faded.  There is no Blue on this cover.  I may send it in just for fun.

It will be interesting whether that is a one-time error or if there are actually several of them.

Fantastic Four #110 is "somewhat famous" for having a similar problem often enough to be recognized as a variant (cyan and magenta got switched).

Fantastic Four #110 Color Error Variant

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

It will be interesting whether that is a one-time error or if there are actually several of them.

Fantastic Four #110 is "somewhat famous" for having a similar problem often enough to be recognized as a variant (cyan and magenta got switched).

Fantastic Four #110 Color Error Variant

Yep. that's one of my favorite errors.  Ive had several over the years but now only have 1 copy.  I wish I'd kept them all :)

The "pink" error is neat because it (somewhat stereotypically) is Spider-GIRL, with girls traditionally associated with pink (or at least they were in 1998), and it's not a Pink Peter Parker (although alliteration always amuses and attracts attention).

7 minutes ago, Neurosis138 said:

Here's another:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/424042-printing-error-books/?do=findComment&comment=10974382

DSCN6082.JPG.fa5a9269ab52862907c56913ef8cadfb.jpg.a9f3c8687ca1f0cb394c51d3932a4a18.jpg

Just now, valiantman said:

Ooooh, nice.  If there are several it could (eventually) be recognized as a repeated manufacturing "happy accident".

Serendipity doo dah...

Just now, Neurosis138 said:

We can't know for sure, but I wonder if that's why these copies got the qualified label:

image.thumb.png.0ef8c0d5da7e8a351772b2c70d4aef02.png

I was just looking at posting the very same thing. Can't find a picture of any online though. 

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I would guess that since this is a 1998 book, most (all?) qualified labels are related to unwitnessed signatures... since CGC didn't exist, but autographed comics were already a thing.

That makes sense. The error doesn't exactly jump out like some do, so both CGC and the owner / submitters might have missed it.

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I would guess that since this is a 1998 book, most (all?) qualified labels are related to unwitnessed signatures... since CGC didn't exist, but autographed comics were already a thing.

That makes sense. The error doesn't exactly jump out like some do, so both CGC and the owner / submitters might have missed it.

I've spent a lot of time with CGC census data and watched the market a long time, and it's almost a guarantee that books from the 1980s and 1990s with green qualified CGC labels are unwitnessed signatures from the 1990s (pre-CGC). 

Unless the book also had a coupon or something, there just aren't many green labels assigned to 1980-2000 books that aren't related to signatures (signed before CGC was a thing).

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I've spent a lot of time with CGC census data and watched the market a long time, and it's almost a guarantee that books from the 1980s and 1990s with green qualified CGC labels are unwitnessed signatures from the 1990s (pre-CGC). 

Unless the book also had a coupon or something, there just aren't many green labels assigned to 1980-2000 books that aren't related to signatures (signed before CGC was a thing).

That said, the pink copy in the other thread linked above was from a poster who only ever made those 2 comments, but who said they were going to submit the book. So I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those 9.6Q or 9.8Q books is that one, green-labeled from the printing error.

And honestly, there's no telling how many of these there might be. It's not a valuable book by default, and the pink version doesn't look wrong the way the FF 110 swapped color plates does. I can't say with any certainty that I've never seen a copy like this. I don't think I would have recognized it as wrong in isolation. The best scenario, for owners of the books anyway, is that this is rare but not near-unique, because that gives the best odds that CGC and the community would eventually recognize it as specifically collectible (Venom: Lethal Protector black, I'm looking at you here). If it's just an oddity with one or two out there, it might be worth a premium, but it won't be nearly as hot a commodity.

I think it's one of those that could heat up, but only if Spider-Girl becomes really, really hot as a property. For example, there's a white error cover to Cable # 1, same defect as Venom #1, but it's not even listed anywhere to have a value ascribed to it.