• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC's price raising and customer service
5 5

189 posts in this topic

This morning I submitted an order.  It started out with the old level of pricing.  Midway it switched to the new, but it kept putting in the items at a dollar and change more then the other books, when it shown gave been about $6 more.  I completed the order and sent it off.  I guess I will find out in November or December if they will process it. lol

Whether it was fair or unfair, CGC handled it poorly by all standards. Customers are bread and butter, and when you make a huge mistake like this, you should rectified it. It's simple. Yes they can raise rates at any given point in time (and I don't have an issue with that), but again, look at the way they handled it and the mistakes they made. When you make a change like this, it will back fire on you if you are not prepared. And evidently CGC was not prepared. I tried several times and couldn't not get through. And even today when I tried to click on the new email to obtain info, I received a server error. Clearly they did not think this through. A months advance notice would have been the way to go. This would allow anyone who was traveling and had no access, or any site issues to be corrected. Not one company out there that I know in the tech industry would do a roll out and give everyone a week to do what they need to do, knowing full well they will have a huge customer base trying to log in.

They could do better.

CGC has lost business from me going forward. I no longer have any interest in submitting books for my personal collection since they keep damaging them.

I will only be submitting books intended to be re-sold on the secondary market, and any excuse to simply sell a book raw will be a win in my eyes.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I was able to get my extremely small submission entered with zero trouble, so I was not personally affected by the site crash. I would also agree that CGC didn't HAVE to offer any sort of warning period. That being said, the one-two-three punch of the price increase, the lack of apology/self awareness regarding the site issues, and the worthless extension of time to ship your comics...that's some chutzpah, CGC. They're rolling in money, and they do NOT care. I still sent my books. I am the problem. 

This...

I'm definitely not advocating the way it was done as A+

Only to state they didn't take it all away, kind of tugs on the short a curlies for sure though hahaha

I mean, I kept auto renew just because it's something, but kind of is like grasping at straws!

Insert :boo:gif here lol

I was curious what other collecting markets took a hit with this rate increase. If I'm not mistaken the Coin, Stamp, paper money and sport card sites weren't affected. It's cheaper to send in a bulk sports card submissions as compared to TCG bulk card submission. 

Another thing why aren't the sports cards and TCG cards not grouped together? Comics and cards are two different hobbies no matter how much some people think they are crossover collecting. 

23 hours ago, getinmybelly! said:

It looks like the other thread is locked. It feels like CGC is giving its customers the middle finger by not extending the deadline after their software prevented me, and others, from getting the books entered in time to use the old prices.  Is it coincidence that the site is working fine once the new prices are effective? This is an example of how not to treat customers - CGC is failing miserably at customer service 101.

The other thread wasn’t locked

Edited by djpinkpanther67

On 4/28/2021 at 8:34 AM, getinmybelly! said:

It looks like the other thread is locked. It feels like CGC is giving its customers the middle finger by not extending the deadline after their software prevented me, and others, from getting the books entered in time to use the old prices.  Is it coincidence that the site is working fine once the new prices are effective? This is an example of how not to treat customers - CGC is failing miserably at customer service 101.

Well to be fair they just allowed you complain on their own website which we all pay for. (shrug)

If I ran CGC I would have locked this website immediately just from your post above.  Point being at least they allow threads like this to exist which is a negative thread for their company on their own website. 

11 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Well to be fair they just allowed you complain on their own website which we all pay for. (shrug)

1. You don't pay for this website. 

2. If you did, you'd expect a whole lot more. 

13 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Buddy, someday that lip lock to CGC's butt is gonna break and you'll be free.  

Oh please I have been very critical of them lately.  Just because I am not screaming on the boards doesn't mean I super happy right now.  Yes Mike, price hikes and losing some of my dealer discount is great news for me. :banana: 

14 minutes ago, Transplant said:

1. You don't pay for this website. 

2. If you did, you'd expect a whole lot more. 

Mike, you dont think we pay for this? lol

You are right this site magically runs itself with the goodness of the hobby in mind.

What tier service is the FREE grading service of CGC?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

59 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

If I ran CGC I would have locked this website immediately just from your post above.  Point being at least they allow threads like this to exist which is a negative thread for their company on their own website. 

They could shut the website down and everyone would go somewhere else.  (shrug)

Why let people complain?  They let people complain just enough to get the complaint out but then wipe out certain things when they feel they have gone too far.  By allowing the board to exist it is a draw to this platform that they can manage.   Remember when a certain someone left their position at Heritage to create a competing business?  As recently as last week it was stated by moderation that discussion of that topic and individual is STILL strictly forbidden. This board allows them to have a semblance of control over the flow of discussion. 

Want to know what the biggest nightmare for CGC would be?  If they shut the place down.  If they shut this place down people would gravitate somewhere else where they had absolutely no control over what was said and done. 

Edited by Buzzetta

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

They could shut the website down and everyone would go somewhere else.  (shrug)

Why let people complain?  They let people complain just enough to get the complaint out but then wipe out certain things when they feel they have gone too far.  By allowing the board to exist it is a draw to this platform that they can manage.   Remember when a certain someone left their position at Heritage to create a competing business?  As recently as last week it was stated by moderation that discussion of that topic and individual is STILL strictly forbidden. This board allows them to have a semblance of control over the flow of discussion. 

Want to know what the biggest nightmare for CGC would be?  If they shut the place down.  If they shut this place down people would gravitate somewhere else where they had absolutely no control over what was said and done. 

I am still waiting for everyone to submit books to another grading company.  They have zero competition and they know that.  Only way real changes get done if they get less submissions.  Until then everyone bend over and take it.  What choice do you have?

I see what you are saying, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  

9 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I am still waiting for everyone to submit books to another grading company.  They have zero competition and they know that.  Only way real changes get done if they get less submissions.  Until then everyone bend over and take it.  What choice do you have?

I see what you are saying, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  

I actually deselected my autorenew last night and I know of two other local guys that have decided to do the same.  My biggest complaint (and I apologize to those that have already read it) is the turnaround times.  They are announcing dramatic improvements to their infrastructure yet at the same time I mapped out their turnaround times last night on the calendar.  If you submit silver age or golden age books today and they are in Florida by May 3rd to be graded at CGC and pressed by CCS then by their own scheduling you are are on pace to receive those books back by February 20th of 2022.

That's insane.

You are right. I am NOT submitting books to any other company because I do not believe the two hold up in terms of realized prices.  But after this year, after my membership expires in the late fall, I do not see myself submitting books for the foreseeable future and neither do two friends.   They already asked me to submit books under my account (if I continue my membership) because they do not see the value in buying a membership anymore. 

We shall see.  

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I actually deselected my autorenew last night and I know of two other local guys that have decided to do the same.  My biggest complaint (and I apologize to those that have already read it) is the turnaround times.  They are announcing dramatic improvements to their infrastructure yet at the same time I mapped out their turnaround times last night on the calendar.  If you submit silver age or golden age books today and they are in Florida by May 3rd to be graded at CGC and pressed by CCS then by their own scheduling you are are on pace to receive those books back by February 20th of 2022.

That's insane.

You are right. I am NOT submitting books to any other company because I do not believe the two hold up in terms of realized prices.  But after this year, after my membership expires in the late fall, I do not see myself submitting books for the foreseeable future and neither do two friends.   They already asked me to submit books under my account (if I continue my membership) because they do not see the value in buying a membership anymore. 

We shall see.  

Same here...autorenew was shut down on my end...I'm up in July...