• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is just crazy stupid right now
6 6

331 posts in this topic

This is the advice being offered on one of the facebook groups to someone who asked what grade slabs they should start with: 

"Number #1 only buy 9.8. number #2 only buy key issues or #1's. don't buy X-Men #14, buy X-Men number one. #3 pay attention to sales of cgc stuff"

uhg

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

This is the advice being offered on one of the facebook groups to someone who asked what grade slabs they should start with: 

"Number #1 only buy 9.8. number #2 only buy key issues or #1's. don't buy X-Men #14, buy X-Men number one. #3 pay attention to sales of cgc stuff"

uhg

Actually, X-men #14 is a key and good book to have...but I suspect that is not the X-men they are talking about. He should follow his #3 rule and pay attention to sales of cgc stuff. Great advice there for those entering the hobby.

4 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Actually, X-men #14 is a key and good book to have...but I suspect that is not the X-men they are talking about. He should follow his #3 rule and pay attention to sales of cgc stuff. Great advice there for those entering the hobby.

Oh yes, need to know the market for sure. All raw numbers have to be viewed vs. CGC copies. But the "key" "#1" and only 9.8 mindset for someone with a $100 budget could result in someone deciding that X-Men 1 in 9.8 is their $100 option. I can think of plenty of $100 books with more upside. And telling someone they should only buy 9.8 (or even 9.4-9.6) SA slabs if they are big keys pretty much knocks most folks out of that market entirely, when they could have done tremendously over the last few years even with low grade slabs.

41 minutes ago, the blob said:

uhg

0b3f7bc12d87da3a2f9f96d29e94bf9d.jpg

1 hour ago, Roger66 said:

- a splash of 'not a priority now'

True.  I'm guilty of this one.  I learned about CGC, slabs, and authenticated signatures in 2017 (when I signed up).  By 2019 I realized that instead of plopping money on signed books, I should focus on the keys I wanted as a kid.  Then in 2020 it became about prioritizing certain keys above others.  My limiting factor though was always that I prioritized big international vacations above all else.

I’ve definitely been doing more selling than buying. My wife asked me why I was selling so many comics lately and she reminded me that I once told her my comics are worthless on eBay (in response to her wanting me to get rid of the stacks of comic boxes, she wants it all out of course). All that has changed in a matter of months. I’ve stuck to buying run fillers. There’s only one comic I’d be willing to spend big money on, but it’s doing the same as OP where every month is a new record sale. There will definitely be some books that never drop back down but for the most part I imagine most of it will once the world goes fully back to normal.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

uhg

If someone is seeking comic collecting advice from FB or even IG - you are already likely lost. I would as soon as quote them as I would a "Flat-Earther." :devil:

Hell, I wanted to take advantage of the market situation and sell almost the entire collection (I only have DD # 1 left, which I submitted to CGC). According to my calculations, I should have sold it collection for 4k dollars (a year ago I bought it for 2k dollars). But due to the fact that these were my first sales on CGC boards, no one wanted to buy these books from me. There was only one buyer who took all the books from me for 2k. As a result, I did not receive any profit and even went into the red because of the PayPal commission. And instead of investing in an exchange or other investment, I spent the entire amount on Hulk # 181. And in half a year I plan to sell everything else. I'm a fu#@%ng fool:facepalm:

Edited by rfhbv100

4 hours ago, rfhbv100 said:

Hell, I wanted to take advantage of the market situation and sell almost the entire collection (I only have DD # 1 left, which I submitted to CGC). According to my calculations, I should have sold it collection for 4k dollars (a year ago I bought it for 2k dollars). But due to the fact that these were my first sales on CGC boards, no one wanted to buy these books from me. There was only one buyer who took all the books from me for 2k. As a result, I did not receive any profit and even went into the red because of the PayPal commission. And instead of investing in an exchange or other investment, I spent the entire amount on Hulk # 181. And in half a year I plan to sell everything else. I'm a fu#@%ng fool:facepalm:

It's ok man, I'm having anxiety just thinking that  GSX1 9.6 is now a 25k book. If only I just held on for another year.  FML lol Paid 5400 and sold for a measly 6.

21 hours ago, the blob said:

uhg

giphy-26.gif

I like these threads. As bad as I feel about how much I sold 'Book X' for years ago there's always a story that makes me feel.....not so horrible and stupid? Well, maybe I still feel horrible and stupid but at least I'm not alone in my kicking myself misery. Because, well, misery loves company and all that.

%^#$@^!