• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is just crazy stupid right now
6 6

331 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bludriver said:

Someone was selling an item for $100 with best offer. I offered $80, expecting either an acceptance or counter-offer. But I was turned down.

Sellers like that I just ignore going forward, they are not worth dealing with.

eBay has this new feature where they randomly add ‘allow offers’ to people’s listings even if they originally set it to no offers. Might be what happened with this seller.

8 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Census numbers don't look strange.

1.jpg.eaa9be74b874809e11b75d9b253a6219.jpg

Out of all the copies submitted, more came back as 9.8 than any other grade except for 9.6. 

Don't think I've ever seen that on another book before......or at least I haven't noticed it.

6 hours ago, lostboys said:

If your best offer is auto rejected, send the seller a message letting him know what your offer was and to contact you if he's interested.

I've been told this is against ebay rules but I've been very successful with this approach. Just be super polite.

A lot of times these sellers don't check the offers that have been rejected but when they actually see it, they sometimes change their minds.

Also...ebay adds a "reply with offer" option after the seller reads your message.

This, especially if I feel a book is overpriced.  I'll send the seller a polite email explaining why my offer may appear low, but is in fact based on a variety of facts.  I'll usually break down step by step how I arrived at that price just so they don't think I'm lowballing them.  I want to show them that I made what I believed to be a serious offer.

34 minutes ago, ectocooler said:

eBay has this new feature where they randomly add ‘allow offers’ to people’s listings even if they originally set it to no offers. Might be what happened with this seller.

I don't think that feature changes the actual listing to best offer though. I never have best offers in my listings and I have never had one changed to best offer, although people can make offers another way.

33 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I don't think that feature changes the actual listing to best offer though. I never have best offers in my listings and I have never had one changed to best offer, although people can make offers another way.

It does, they do it to mine all the time. Here’s the email. I have to go back in to the listing and change it back.

6C62A45A-9F84-4C2A-B7AB-C1538B76BC2A.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ectocooler said:

I’m jealous

I just looked at my listings again and none have best offers. I do get offers from buyers in e-mails but never through a best offer. If I did, I would be upset that ebay is changing my listing without my approval.

Edited by Bludriver

4 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I just looked at my listings again and none have best offers. I do get offers from buyers in e-mails but never through a best offer. If I did, I would be upset that ebay is changing my listing without my approval.

Someone at eBay must like you. Not sure why you’re special but that’s absolutely what they do, and from what I’ve read there’s no way to turn it off. I wouldn’t touch anything in your settings if I were you or you might accidentally turn it on lol 

DA317D85-EC2C-4248-B6C1-AB2C3D08084C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ectocooler said:

Someone at eBay must like you. Not sure why you’re special but that’s absolutely what they do, and from what I’ve read there’s no way to turn it off. I wouldn’t touch anything in your settings if I were you or you might accidentally turn it on lol 

DA317D85-EC2C-4248-B6C1-AB2C3D08084C.jpeg

That is complete BS. I hate having best offers, I see no need for it. Thankfully none of my listings have ever changed.

10 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Back in 2010 we had one deep pocket setting records on almost every highest-graded Silver and Bronze Age Marvel. 

Was that the eBay buyer who had the username: pastimperfekt? If so, I remember him buying every high-grade Marvel slab in sight. He was mentioned here more than a few times in the past, circa. 2007-2008. Wonder what ever happened to him - did he run out of money?

5 hours ago, zosocane said:

this.

Youtubers pumping comic books reminds me of these guys Munger talks about. 

They are just spouting off nonsense to get the misinformed to buy the stuff they are pumping. 

Edited by Wolverinex

3 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Out of all the copies submitted, more came back as 9.8 than any other grade except for 9.6. 

Don't think I've ever seen that on another book before......or at least I haven't noticed it.

Pee screen. Why would anyone spend the money to get that back in 9.2?

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Pee screen. Why would anyone spend the money to get that back in 9.2?

Who the hell knows why people would urinate on their books?

But 82 people did submit books to get a 9.2 grade or lower on it.

I just haven't noticed other books with that kind of a spread on their grades.....but I also have a very narrow focus to my collecting.

Edited by Domo Arigato

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

Who the hell knows why people would urinate on their books?

But 82 people did submit books to get a 9.2 grade or lower on it.

I jus haven't noticed other books with that kind of a spread on their grades.....but I also have a very narrow focus to my collecting.

If you pee on it and the book turns yellow then don't submit. The 9.2 are from when folks didn't do prescreens or newbies nowadays who don't know any better