• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is just crazy stupid right now
6 6

331 posts in this topic

There's 120 other blue label Spider-Man #1 platinums out there plus 57 SS copies. Over 1 in 6 copies of this book (10,000 print run?) have been slabbed. Curious if this is the most slabbed book %-wise?

image.png.a2a3cef9ac6603d1ba0a1261d458da2c.png

On 5/6/2021 at 3:19 AM, Gaard said:

You want crazy? I'll show you crazy.

Iron Man 150

It went for over 20x what I paid for it last year.

prominent Dr. Doom covers are getting strong results as of late I have noticed. Did anyone see the strong result of the CGC 8.0 Marvel Super-heroes #20 on Heritage not that long ago?

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

prominent Dr. Doom covers are getting strong results as of late I have noticed. Did anyone see the strong result of the CGC 8.0 Marvel Super-heroes #20 on Heritage not that long ago?

That is 1st of doomalina tho

14 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

The 9.9 in the May clink auction will be fun to watch 

That 9.9 in the Clink auction is the Wolverine Limited Series #1 from 1982.  And I agree....with only 27 CGC 9.9's showing on the census, it should go for quite a bit in the current market.

But the one I'm referring to in my post below is just the regular old Wolverine #1 from the 1988 series that ran for 190 issues......a book that has 2,255 copies graded at CGC 9.8 on the census.  Until earlier this year, it was about a $200 book.  Recently it's been going for four times that amount.  There also happens to be a 9.8 copy of it in the same Clink auction.....so we'll see if this trend continues for it.

On 5/11/2021 at 9:15 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Just another example I happened to spot.

Wolverine #1 (1988) graded CGC 9.8

GPA shows an average sale price of $200 over the 187 recorded sales in 2020.

The 3 most recent sales that GPA recorded this month went for $785.....$865.....and $865.

17 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The Marvel box in the top left is a dead give away.

That and the spidey Logo in the direct box is platinum colored not silver, but if you haven't seen the two next to each other could be harder to distinguish.  Definitely that top is the easiest way.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Valeria?

something like that. my very old (early 2000s) cgc case did not even note it.

Edited by the blob

12 hours ago, MetaHuman said:

There's 120 other blue label Spider-Man #1 platinums out there plus 57 SS copies. Over 1 in 6 copies of this book (10,000 print run?) have been slabbed. Curious if this is the most slabbed book %-wise?

According to some person(s) in the Modern section, there are only 200 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell'Otto variant and there are 59 CGC graded copies.  That's more than 1 in 4 (29.5%)... so either there are nearly 30% of all copies graded or the print run isn't 200. :whistle:

6 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

That 9.9 in the Clink auction is the Wolverine Limited Series #1 from 1982.  And I agree....with only 27 CGC 9.9's showing on the census, it should go for quite a bit in the current market.

But the one I'm referring to in my post below is just the regular old Wolverine #1 from the 1988 series that ran for 190 issues......a book that has 2,255 copies graded at CGC 9.8 on the census.  Until earlier this year, it was about a $200 book.  Recently it's been going for four times that amount.  There also happens to be a 9.8 copy of it in the same Clink auction.....so we'll see if this trend continues for it.

Did we have an infusion of new collectors all of a sudden this year that all want Wolverine #1?  Just surprising this issue has taken off so fast so soon.  Amazing. 

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:
7 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

...platinum colored not silver...

It is subtle, but there is a difference in hue. Similar to the AOS#500 Platinum and Platinum Error.  Here are high quality scans overlaid to show the difference. 

20210513_113640.jpg.427aa22d495e97689839b1d842330147.jpg

20210513_033141.jpg.aaa3f6ef0fd6a5710c60966d26a7d9b0.jpg

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Did we have an infusion of new collectors all of a sudden this year that all want Wolverine #1?  Just surprising this issue has taken off so fast so soon.  Amazing. 

I have always been able to sell nice raw copies of the book, even here, but we were talking $30-50. It was not MCP 1 or anything, which was a dollar box book.