• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is just crazy stupid right now
6 6

331 posts in this topic

I haven't followed everything posted in this thread, but I'm basically aware of the comic market 'speculation'...for lack of a better phrase.  My apologies if someone else has already brought this up.  Here's a comic book I've noticed recently going through the roof at present.  I don't see any reason why either.  This is off GPA (for those of you not familiar).  This is nuts...IMO!!!

image.png

image.png

17 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

I haven't followed everything posted in this thread, but I'm basically aware of the comic market 'speculation'...for lack of a better phrase.  My apologies if someone else has already brought this up.  Here's a comic book I've noticed recently going through the roof at present.  I don't see any reason why either.  This is off GPA (for those of you not familiar).  This is nuts...IMO!!!

image.png

image.png

If you're just into looking it up

Check out tmnt adventure 1 1st bebop rocksteady and krang

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you're just into looking it up

Check out tmnt adventure 1 1st bebop rocksteady and krang

Good God, that's nuts too!!! lol  Don't have one of those, but I do have MMPR #1.  Hard to figure out what to do with it...take advantage of the rising price, or hold on to it.  I'm not the speculator type, but I already have it up for sale in my thread based on GPA numbers from January. doh!

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

No......that's the Wolverine Limited Series #1 from 1982 (That's #1 of a 4 issue limited series).

The book I originally brought up regarding the crazy price it's now going for is the Wolverine #1 from the regular series (from 1988).

Here's one coming up in the Clink auction:

CGC 9.8 Wolverine #1 (1988)

On 4/30/2021 at 11:26 AM, Bludriver said:

Not everyone is rich and can afford to buy the keys they want at any one time. Also, I am sure a lot of buyers were not expecting such a massive increase in prices like we have seen in the past few months.

AF 15 CGC 5.0, IH 181 CGC 9.6, CGC 9.0 & CGC 7.5, GSX 1 CGC 9.4, WBN 32 CGC 9.2 & CGC 9.0, ASM 29 CGC 9.0 & CGC 9.4, 7x copies of ASM 300 CGC 9.8, FF 48 CGC 9.0, FF 49 CGC 9.0 and FF 50 CGC 9.2 I used to own before the market went mad are about 3 times than my house's value. I am stuck with the property tax 2 times a year.

I kind of wished to keep them all then sell them all. My house would be paid off easily. I would have the extra money to buy more comic books.  I didn't see that in future.

Edited by JollyComics

28 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Many collectible markets have gone crazy this year.....seemingly from investors flooding the markets looking for something besides the stock market to sink their money into. 

This is pretty much the rule in a recession and the same pattern happened during recessions in 2002, 2008, and last year when Covid started to a lesser extent.  But we're not in a recession, the stock market is surging, too!  So I don't know what to make of these rising waters on all fronts, at all.

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

This is pretty much the rule in a recession and the same pattern happened during recessions in 2002, 2008, and last year when Covid started to a lesser extent.  But we're not in a recession, the stock market is surging, too!  So I don't know what to make of these rising waters on all fronts, at all.

I recall a lull when COVID hit...? Perhaps my memory is flawed....

25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Right now it's the only thing that makes even the slightest bit of sense to me......but the way the collectible markets are behaving, sense might have been flushed down the toilet months ago.

Edited by Domo Arigato

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

Right now it's the only thing that makes even the slightest bit of sense to me......but the way the collectible markets are behaving, sense might have been flushed down the toilet months ago.

I half feel the same way which is why I've been calling it Gamestop-y.  It seems quite senseless.

15 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I implied there was a modest surge last year "when Covid started," but I mis-spoke--I don't think it was during the first half of 2020 when the pandemic started, it was whenever there was a stock market dip later in the year.  When the market tanked briefly I looked at comic prices a few weeks later and they were up, but not drastically, more like 20% or so from earlier in the year.  And I only looked at the Silver Marvel stuff I own, so it may not have been reflected in the market as a whole.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

I half feel the same way which is why I've been calling it Gamestop-y.  It seems quite senseless.

I guess it's possible people are just looking for alternate markets to diversify into as a hedge against the stock market dropping......but who knows.  

The video game collectors market is doing the same thing......and most in here are probably aware of the crazy stuff happening in the trading card market too.

Just now, Domo Arigato said:

I guess it's possible people are just looking for alternate markets to diversify into as a hedge against the stock market dropping......but who knows.  

The video game collectors market is doing the same thing......and most in here are probably aware of the crazy stuff happening in the trading card market too.

There's something going on with trading cards too??? :roflmao:

bummer.jpg

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

There's something going on with trading cards too??? :roflmao:

I couldn't believe it when a recent article stated that one of the card grading companies was now receiving over 100,000 cards a day for grading and the huge backlog in grading this has created.

Imagine the amount of cards that are going to eventually just glut the market. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I couldn't believe it when a recent article stated that one of the card grading companies was now receiving over 100,000 cards a day for grading and the huge backlog in grading this has created.

Imagine the amount of cards that are going to eventually just glut the market. :facepalm:

I agree.  Luckily, I'm one of those that didn't drink the kool-aid.  I've got plenty of those cards people are talking about, but they aren't going anywhere. Not worth the effort...IMO.  I'll stick to selling of my comic collection instead. lol

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

yes, a few months there. i don't know when the first stimulus money hit.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:34 AM, WoWitHurts said:

I would be selling right now but I would get murdered on taxes. I have to wait until the beginning of 22 before I can sell. If the market tanks that's good on the buying front and if not then I will sell. I can't buy under the current conditions.

If I had the time to do it beyond my full-time job, I would sell everything as quickly as I could right now. However, it's a process that's going to take at least a few years for me to accomplish, so I hope the market stays about as hot as it is now through 2023 or so...

Edited by comicdiablo

13 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

This listing was brought to my attention today...  2nd appearance in cameo, second print.  I personally still think of second prints as nothing more than glorified reprints unworthy of any "1st appearance" or other special key designations.

image.thumb.png.c1e5ab7dca719c767e66c0d80af56500.png

1st time in costume, predates full appearance by a month or something. Small print run. I don't care about 2nd prints either but at least this has something going for it. I will gladly sell them though. Seems like the new buyers want the most limited print even if it is a 3rd or 4th print.