• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long until you Marvel guys come to the DC Darkside because you can't afford to collect your own publisher's books?
5 5

85 posts in this topic

Tongue in cheek. That said, I am - at the same time - jealous of the valuations some Marvel books are receiving in the current market, and glad that most DC titles (even keys) are still going for prices which are accessible to many actual collectors (myself included). Given that I think most of us like titles from both publishers - and simply gravitate more towards one than the other - are any of you Marvel die-hards shifting to DC given today's price climate? 

Edited by Kripsys99
Typos

2 minutes ago, kav said:

DCs are less valued because they printed a ton of copies, and they didnt introduce long lasting characters often as Marvel did.  SA DC villains were mostly one issue villains.

Agreed - I don't think DC comics will be hitting Marvel price points anytime soon - thank goodness for those of us who only buy and never sell! :)

Edited by Kripsys99
Typo

Already can't afford the Marvel books.   Boooo

Definitely doesn't mean I'm going to DC. 

But Buzz is right, there are some pretty cool DC books that translate to the Marvel heads. 

Batman 181 is a great one.  Batman 232 is another. 

Patrick 

I’ve been banging the DC drum for a while, which, in hindsight, was dumb. So: DC’s are dumb and worthless, do not buy them. Nothing to see here!

Just now, F For Fake said:

I’ve been banging the DC drum for a while, which, in hindsight, was dumb. So: DC’s are dumb and worthless, do not buy them. Nothing to see here!

Is it me or do Batman villains have more popularity than the majority of DC "heroes" ?

I am pretty sure that the Joker is an easy placement on the Mt Rushmore of villains for most comic collectors.  So Joker aside, I think there are a lot of Batman's supporting cast that have a LOT of crossover appeal to the Marvel collectors with a lot of that owing itself to media support.  These characters survived the camp and cheesiness of the 60's through the Adam West TV show but BAS made a lot of those B level villains cool and introduced us to characters like Harley Quinn. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Is it me or do Batman villains have more popularity than the majority of DC "heroes" ?

I am pretty sure that the Joker is an easy placement on the Mt Rushmore of villains for most comic collectors.  So Joker aside, I think there are a lot of Batman's supporting cast that have a LOT of crossover appeal to the Marvel collectors with a lot of that owing itself to media support.  These characters survived the camp and cheesiness of the 60's through the Adam West TV show but BAS made a lot of those B level villains cool and introduced us to characters like Harley Quinn. 

To me, a great hero requires great villians. 

It's a major reason Batman and Spider-man are so great.  And Daredevil, especially Silver Age, massively languishes (coming from someone that has nearly an entire set graded, DOH).  Hell, DD had to steal  from Spider-man like Kingpin.

Patrick 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If I were the sort of person who were interested in DC’s, I definitely might say something like “buy every cheap SA Bat villain 1st app you run across.” :ph34r:

Seriously though, yes, absolutely. Batman isn’t going anywhere in pop culture anytime soon, and those classic, archetypical villains are just going to keep showing up, again and again. It’s so odd that it’s taken this long for Bat 181 to start catching on, when the character has been a pop culture fixture ever since BTAS reintroduced her to the collective consciousness. Ivy, Freeze, Riddler, etc aren’t going anywhere.

More to your point, I’ve often argued that DC’s two most popular characters are Batman and Joker, THEN Superman. The villains are their own thing, and they are enormously popular. I still love the cheap hero oddballs like the Atom, Hawkman, Metal Men, Challengers, etc but I don’t think anyone can go wrong buying Bat villains. As long as there’s a Batman, there will be his rogues gallery.

8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

If I were the sort of person who were interested in DC’s, I definitely might say something like “buy every cheap SA Bat villain 1st app you run across.” :ph34r:

Seriously though, yes, absolutely. Batman isn’t going anywhere in pop culture anytime soon, and those classic, archetypical villains are just going to keep showing up, again and again. It’s so odd that it’s taken this long for Bat 181 to start catching on, when the character has been a pop culture fixture ever since BTAS reintroduced her to the collective consciousness. Ivy, Freeze, Riddler, etc aren’t going anywhere.

More to your point, I’ve often argued that DC’s two most popular characters are Batman and Joker, THEN Superman. The villains are their own thing, and they are enormously popular. I still love the cheap hero oddballs like the Atom, Hawkman, Metal Men, Challengers, etc but I don’t think anyone can go wrong buying Bat villains. As long as there’s a Batman, there will be his rogues gallery.

His villians are so popular that you can collect the 1st appearances in the Golden Age and the 1st appearances in the Silver Age!  

Translation = Can't afford GA, might be able to afford SA version. 

Does Marvel have that situation?  Red Skull for Cap.  Anybody with more than 1? 

Patrick 

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:

His villians are so popular that you can collect the 1st appearances in the Golden Age and the 1st appearances in the Silver Age!  

Translation = Can't afford GA, might be able to afford SA version. 

Does Marvel have that situation?  Red Skull for Cap.  Anybody with more than 1? 

Patrick 

Yes, absolutely, talking SA here. I swim in the small pond!

This cycle plays out ad infinitum. Buy an Overstreet Price Update from the late 80’s, and some OS advisor or another will be observing that Marvel keys have run up, and DC keys are a relative bargain.  Of course, past performance is no guarantee of future returns, but buying DC keys in these instances has turned out well...

I've briefly dabbled in DC in the past with some GA/SA Worlds Finest and Detective/Batman, but I've always been a Marvel guy. I would never go over to DC. They seem like a real buckshot approach to me compared to Marvel. Both naturally have many examples of forgettable characters, but DC specialized in it. 

I know DC guys will rightfully stick up for their own and disagree, but even some of their flagship heroes just seem and have seemed for a while as being for lack of a better term, lame. Green Lantern? Lame. Even Superman, one of the forefathers of DC, considering all of his powers is ultimately pretty lame.  

I get that my opinions don't represent anyone else or the illustrious history of comics, but I've been collecting for about 30 years now (not nearly as long as some of the pioneers here) and that's just how my collecting experience and interpretation has been since I started. 

DC has some super boring old school characters and the interest ones Doom Patrol, Suicide Squad and Teen Titans are not super popular. Not to the degree that Marvel characters are anyway.