• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Silver is like Early Gold used to be
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I often thought about that, there being more copies of Silver Age out there than Golden Age. Now, people don't care. They want it, they'll buy it. If they don't, someone else will. To that extent, the mind set now is different. The number of copies out there doesn't affect the price. What does is the desire to own it. 

The price explosion is on Silver Age Marvels.  A lot of 20-somethings that were captivated by the first Iron Man movie (hard to believe 13 years ago) or the first Thor movie (10 years ago) are now 30-somethings.  They have purchasing power.  They are on Instagram and YouTube.  They watch all of these comic book investment videos, and they're attracted to the coolness and profitability of the hobby.  That has a real effect on increasing demand, while supply (in terms of market availability) continues to decline.

Not gonna comment on the rise in SA prices. But as far as scarcity goes, you can buy any Marvel SA book any time you want. There is an "instant gratification" factor with SA as long as you have the funds.

Not so with many GA books - been looking for a few relatively early Timely books to complete a run for several months on all the major auction houses, feeBay and the like and have struck out even though I have the cash in hand.

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

Not gonna comment on the rise in SA prices. But as far as scarcity goes, you can buy any Marvel SA book any time you want. There is an "instant gratification" factor with SA as long as you have the funds.

Not so with many GA books - been looking for a few relatively early Timely books to complete a run for several months on all the major auction houses, feeBay and the like and have struck out even though I have the cash in hand.

-bc

True.  But I think that 25 years ago (Yikes!), there were much less collectors than there are today chasing books.  Another factor is how the internet affects things.  I remember when you practically couldn't get an AF15 unless you went to a big show, and maybe you could find one in a grade that fit your budget and collecting style. If you go back far enough in time, you could pick up some amazing golden age keys at a large convention because there were so few collectors and large conventions...(this was before my time).   I do remember trying to find an affordable Batman 47 back in the day.  Took me a long, long, time to get one that met my not-so-rigid criteria.  Today I can have one in an instant if I have the funds.  This brings in the concept of "internet rare", and it's impact which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.  The ratio between collectors vs. books has to be reconciled.

Edited by Westy Steve

4 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

But as far as scarcity goes, you can buy any Marvel SA book any time you want.

I hear you about GA books, like my Silver Streak No. 1 and Detective Comics #81...not available for sale on any given day, even for YEARS at a time.  But as a practical matter, same thing for certain SA keys over shorter timeframes.   The deep pockets are chasing investment-grade copies, and for SA, that means higher grades.  But even in grades less characteristic of "investment" spec, many SA keys are hard to find for days, weeks, even months at a time in the highest grades, and sometimes above mid or even low grades. 

Where can I find RIGHT NOW (not any auction ending days or weeks from now) a Sub-Mariner #1 in 9.8?  Aside from the single Silver Surfer #1 in 9.4 on eBay, where can I find a Silver Surfer #1 in 8.5 or above?   And how about Silver Surfer #4 in 8.5 or above, except for the single 9.6 OW/W on CC?  How about Amazing Spider-Man #2 or #4 in 7.0 or above?  Or ASM #13 or #14 in just 8.0 or above?   Or a Tales to Astonish #27 in any CGC grade above 3.5?   Or Incredible Hulk #1 even at 2.5 or above, except for a single 5.5 on CC?  

This apparent unavailability for sale of SA keys is not limited to Marvel.   No Spectre #1 (DC book) in 8.5 or above, even though it's late Silver Age?  Haven't seen ANY for sale anywhere recently.  And Star Strek #1 (Gold Key) in just 7.5, let alone better, anywhere? 

Even some bronze keys are "scarce", i.e., MIA for purchase right now.  Scooby Doo #1 in ANY grade above 6.0?  Marvel Spotlight #5 in 9.4 or better?   I can't even remember the last time I saw one of those for sale anywhere.    

I expect the above examples have always been relatively hard to find, especially in the minimun grades indicated, but during the past year, some have become unicorns in these minimum grades.   

Edited by Pantodude

43 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I hear you about GA books, like my Silver Streak No. 1 and Detective Comics #81...not available for sale on any given day, even for YEARS at a time.  But as a practical matter, same thing for certain SA keys over shorter timeframes.   The deep pockets are chasing investment-grade copies, and for SA, that means higher grades.  But even in grades less characteristic of "investment" spec, many SA keys are hard to find for days, weeks, even months at a time in the highest grades, and sometimes above mid or even low grades. 

Where can I find RIGHT NOW (not any auction ending days or weeks from now) a Sub-Mariner #1 in 9.8?  Aside from the single Silver Surfer #1 in 9.4 on eBay, where can I find a Silver Surfer #1 in 8.5 or above?   And how about Silver Surfer #4 in 8.5 or above?  How about Amazing Spider-Man #2 or #4 in 7.0 or above?  Or ASM #13 or #14 in just 8.0 or above?   Or a Tales to Astonish #27 in any CGC grade above 3.5?   Or Incredible Hulk #1 even at 2.5 or above?  

This apparent unavailability for sale of SA keys is not limited to Marvel.   No Spectre #1 in 8.5 or above, even though it's late Silver Age?  Haven't seen ANY for sale anywhere recently.  And Star Strek #1 (Gold Key) in just 7.5, let alone better, anywhere? 

Even some bronze keys are "scarce", i.e., MIA for purchase right now.  Scooby Doo #1 in ANY grade above 6.0?  Marvel Spotlight #5 in 9.4 or better?   I can't even remember the last time I saw one of these for sale anywhere.    

I expect the above examples have always been relatively hard to find, especially in the minimun grades indicated, but during the past year, some have become unicorns in these minimum grades.   

Think you might have my quote about the scarcity mixed up with Westy's reply.

100% agree about GA books not coming to market for years in any grade.

My original comment about the scarcity of SA books wasn't related to the higher/highest graded copies - they obviously are going to be tougher to locate.

As far as some of the specific books you listed, I just used the list of SA dealers to find these:

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

Think you might have my quote about the scarcity mixed up with Westy's reply.

100% agree about GA books not coming to market for years in any grade.

My original comment about the scarcity of SA books wasn't related to the higher/highest graded copies - they obviously are going to be tougher to locate.

As far as some of the specific books you listed, I just used the list of SA dealers to find these:

-bc

Thanks for getting back to me, especially with the leads.  (thumbsu  

4 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Where can I find RIGHT NOW (not any auction ending days or weeks from now) a Sub-Mariner #1 in 9.8?  Aside from the single Silver Surfer #1 in 9.4 on eBay, where can I find a Silver Surfer #1 in 8.5 or above?   And how about Silver Surfer #4 in 8.5 or above, except for the single 9.6 OW/W on CC?  How about Amazing Spider-Man #2 or #4 in 7.0 or above?  Or ASM #13 or #14 in just 8.0 or above?   Or a Tales to Astonish #27 in any CGC grade above 3.5?   Or Incredible Hulk #1 even at 2.5 or above, except for a single 5.5 on CC?  

This apparent unavailability for sale of SA keys is not limited to Marvel.   No Spectre #1 (DC book) in 8.5 or above, even though it's late Silver Age?  Haven't seen ANY for sale anywhere recently.  And Star Strek #1 (Gold Key) in just 7.5, let alone better, anywhere? 

Even some bronze keys are "scarce", i.e., MIA for purchase right now.  Scooby Doo #1 in ANY grade above 6.0?  Marvel Spotlight #5 in 9.4 or better?   I can't even remember the last time I saw one of those for sale anywhere.    

I need to see pictures of that Silver Streak 1! What an amazing piece of comic book history!

What I always think about is the old guys at shows when I was kid. I heard the advice "SA is fun, but there are just so many of them, they won't grow like GA" 

Now all we hear about is the relative scarcity of SA compared to cards and other hobbies. 

In the early 90s I was only going to shows my dad would take me to (church basements). It was rare that anyone had allot of GA. In the late 90s I was old enough to go to the NYC cons and others on my own.  I had never been exposed to anything like that before. Just a sea of amazing comics that I had only read about in Wizard magazine were suddenly in front of me..  not that I could afford them lol. 

I have to admit, when I see books like X1 and Avengers1 selling for 5 figures in mid to low grade, it takes me back. You could have had those books for less than $100 even in the church basement and Holiday Inn shows. 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:49 AM, Westy Steve said:

Today I can have one in an instant if I have the funds.

Being to get a book almost instantaneously removes the "joy of the hunt." When we went on vacation while our kids were younger, I would make us stop at local comic shops all the time. I often didn't buy anything; I just looked at the wall books. Finding a book that you have been looking for quite some time is a comic shop in Columbus*, Ohio, was always such a thrill.

* For honesty's sake, I have never been to Columbus, Ohio, so therefore I never bought a comic book there. Columbus was just used as an example.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:16 PM, Math Teacher said:

Being to get a book almost instantaneously removes the "joy of the hunt." When we went on vacation while our kids were younger, I would make us stop at local comic shops all the time. I often didn't buy anything; I just looked at the wall books. Finding a book that you have been looking for quite some time is a comic shop in Columbus*, Ohio, was always such a thrill.

* For honesty's sake, I have never been to Columbus, Ohio, so therefore I never bought a comic book there. Columbus was just used as an example.

A good amount of shops in Columbus, but only a couple have a decent GA/SA selection.