• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much do Marker stains on books affect grade?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I didn't really want to make a new topic but there isn't really a bronze general discussion. How much does a small marker stain on top affect the grade and value? For this auction as an example, seller says it would be a 6.5-7 with a press. I have no idea if it went for more than it was worth based on the present info, looks reasonable otherwise but that marker ain't coming off...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324586027180?hash=item4b92d5b8ac%3Ag%3A~YEAAOSwlKhggLMn&nma=true&si=EmHxh05ICXwgslTgV%2FmgLQFjr4s%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

2 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

Are you asking about the highlighted areas? Distributor spray?

X-Men XMen 101 1st Appearance Phoenix Solid Mid Higher Grade FineVF Range 1976  <a href='https://www.ebay.com/' class='notreplace' title='' target='_blank'  style=eBay.png">

Yes. I figured it was a marking from the news vendor or a kid. It looks a little worse on the back cover, I don't know how much that affects grade (I don't think it was above 6.5 even without the mark, but maybe I'm just a tough grader).

9 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Looks like distributer ink to me. Although it looks a bit odd. One little dot like that

If it is then it shouldn't affect the grade on this book. 

I think it's like a marker someone used on the top, be it a distributor or vendor. Check out the back cover. In any event I was just curious if that particular book went over or under the price it should be. Is it 6.5 before the ink? I don't know about that.

7 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I think it's like a marker someone used on the top, be it a distributor or vendor. Check out the back cover. In any event I was just curious if that particular book went over or under the price it should be. Is it 6.5 before the ink? I don't know about that.

Distributor ink refers to the printing process or over spray from the printer, is my understanding. So if its "distributor ink" it's most likely to have happened at manufacturing and cgc shouldn't count against it  :) when it's being graded (thumbsu

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Distributor ink refers to the printing process or over spray from the printer, is my understanding. So if its "distributor ink" it's most likely to have happened at manufacturing and cgc shouldn't count against it  :) when it's being graded (thumbsu

For sure, thanks. I just have no idea what's going on with this book though as I don't know what a "normal" distributor ink mark looks like.

On 4/30/2021 at 11:57 AM, brentdevil said:

For sure, thanks. I just have no idea what's going on with this book though as I don't know what a "normal" distributor ink mark looks like.

Looks about as normal as it gets.  Very similar to what's on my copy of BB 85. 

RAD2E95D2011816_10926.jpg