• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this double staples or something else?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

This is a book in the latest Clink auction that I seriously had my eye on. Requested a back cover scan and received the scan a couple of hours before the auction which made me decide not to bid as I couldn’t figure what I was looking at. 

E6F6AA58-20FA-419B-8889-BE1337E89B13.jpeg.b4739fa76404735fe53606b3822f9219.jpeg

Ok, on the front cover you can clearly see the two staples close to the spine edge. 

469117DE-9177-4F01-92B6-D241BA5D65E7.jpeg.aeba8d1f94a76e7e9ed126c90ee6b8a6.jpeg

On the back cover there looks like there’s...staples?...about a half inch away from the spine.

Is this a second set of staples?  Do they look white because of light from the scanner or because they’re beneath the back cover?  Or are the indentations from the staple of book that this was stacked on top of?  But either of those are the case why does there look like there’s a prong hole at the top of the bottom staple?

(Sorry if someone here won this book, not trying to tear it down, just trying to figure out what I’m looking at here)

17 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Or are the indentations from the staple of book that this was stacked on top of?

This is what I think they are, and I once bought a copy of Daredevil #14 that had similar indentations on the front cover...

58 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

This is what I think they are, and I once bought a copy of Daredevil #14 that had similar indentations on the front cover...

They do look like indentations, but with the paper being indented from the inside to the outside, like the staples always do to the front and back covers of annuals! Going by the way the back cover looks in the image, upon opening the back cover of the book, I would expect to see staples securing the pages together in the same fashion that the pages of an annual are secured by staples and then the cover glued around that assembly. 

Although that's the visual impression I see, I'm completely confident that if that were the case, that notes would appear on the label, "manufactured with an extra set of staples".