• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Success when contacting artists directly
1 1

13 posts in this topic

It's always really nice. I've always found it interesting comparing contacting artists compared to reps. Both have prod and cons, but it is nice to at least have a small amount of direct communication with an artist (although I understand that isn't always possible).

One artist i was in general conversation for about three years before he agreed to let go of a piece I originally asked about.  Another artist, I have been talking to for over 11 years and I do enjoy the conversations with him but still not artwork.  Not gonna give up.

I did it once. The artist didn't know where the art was. And that was it.

But years later he contacted me, having found the pages i was interested in. Except I had moved on and his prices were way higher than what I expected for art from a forgotten series from an artist that never had much success and had disappeared from mainstream comics.

That why I'm reluctant to contact artist directly. I don't know their prices and I don't want to realize I can't afford it, costing both of us time.

12 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I did it once. The artist didn't know where the art was. And that was it.

But years later he contacted me, having found the pages i was interested in. Except I had moved on and his prices were way higher than what I expected for art from a forgotten series from an artist that never had much success and had disappeared from mainstream comics.

That why I'm reluctant to contact artist directly. I don't know their prices and I don't want to realize I can't afford it, costing both of us time.

Still and all, he did remember you, and his effort should be appreciated.
I have some standing requests with artists to the effect that if they find “such and such”, please let me know. Tom Mandrake did that with me, and I was able to pick up two of his pages that way. Another artist also did that with me, too, but the art didn’t fit my needs. So, I left it with a thanks.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I enjoy contacting artists when I can find them, particularly with newer or unappreciated art. In my never-ending quest to add Phantom Stranger art to my collection, and cartoony art in particular, I had been trying for years to find something from "Scribblenauts Unmasked", a mini-series based, apparently, on a video game or games. The only thing I heard from collectors/dealers was that it was digital, which took it off my plate. Then, I learned that the artist Adam Archer, had a Facebook page. So, I sent him an inquiry. It turned out that he had all the art I could ever want from the series, and it was very reasonably priced (he apparently doesn't do much fan-favorite type of work). So, I bought a double-cover. The communication was wonderful, the pricing was good, and delivery was quick. He even threw in a little pencil sketch is which is similar to his more typical artwork. I may even buy more.

Scribblenauts.thumb.jpg.1ed491337098f3c40f27e3320f242780.jpg

That's a really nice piece, too! Lots of great characters. I haven't played any of them, but Scribblenauts is basically a video game where the player solves puzzles by writing words that manifest as objects. Then you use the objects to solve the puzzles. It sounds fairly open-ended, as the word database is in the thousands, apparently. I looked up info on the DC game and it says it has about 2000 DC characters available to help solve puzzles. It sounds pretty fun, actually.

23 hours ago, Varanis said:

I've only really done it once and had an amazing interaction. I got in touch with Ian Bederman to see if he'd sell the painting he did which inspired the character Cosmic Ghost Rider. Ian is a tattoo artist by trade and this is a split flash piece he did with his buddy Jeremy Cook. Ian is also Donny Cates' tattoo artist (and collaborator on Atomahawk). Ian showed Donny this piece and Donny showed it to Geoff Shaw as a template for Cosmic Ghost Rider. This piece was done 4 years before the character ever appeared in Marvel Comics. If you're familiar at all with my collection, you can probably imagine how massive of a grail this is for me.

Interacting with Ian has given me a lot of insight on the character's creation and I'm actually working on an article to document it all. Ian is phenomenal and I'm really excited to hopefully share all the background on Cosmic Ghost Rider's artistic origins soon.

IMG_1622284.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

I love it! This kind of thing really enhances your collection beyond just grabbing art of a favorite character. Of course it helps that the art is nice, too. I'm sure you'll share it with us when you're finished, but I'm interested in reading that article.

9 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

That's a really nice piece, too! Lots of great characters. I haven't played any of them, but Scribblenauts is basically a video game where the player solves puzzles by writing words that manifest as objects. Then you use the objects to solve the puzzles. It sounds fairly open-ended, as the word database is in the thousands, apparently. I looked up info on the DC game and it says it has about 2000 DC characters available to help solve puzzles. It sounds pretty fun, actually.

I love it! This kind of thing really enhances your collection beyond just grabbing art of a favorite character. Of course it helps that the art is nice, too. I'm sure you'll share it with us when you're finished, but I'm interested in reading that article.

Thank you. Adam's work more typically looks like this free sketch he sent me:

AdamArchersketchsigned.thumb.jpg.45e23188093b2c68ee480989b3370954.jpg

On 5/10/2021 at 9:35 PM, Varanis said:

I've only really done it once and had an amazing interaction. I got in touch with Ian Bederman to see if he'd sell the painting he did which inspired the character Cosmic Ghost Rider. Ian is a tattoo artist by trade and this is a split flash piece he did with his buddy Jeremy Cook. Ian is also Donny Cates' tattoo artist (and collaborator on Atomahawk). Ian showed Donny this piece and Donny showed it to Geoff Shaw as a template for Cosmic Ghost Rider. This piece was done 4 years before the character ever appeared in Marvel Comics. If you're familiar at all with my collection, you can probably imagine how massive of a grail this is for me.

Interacting with Ian has given me a lot of insight on the character's creation and I'm actually working on an article to document it all. Ian is phenomenal and I'm really excited to hopefully share all the background on Cosmic Ghost Rider's artistic origins soon.

IMG_1622284.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

Fantastic back-story! Can't wait to read your write-up on this topic!