• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong grade?

12 posts in this topic

I have seen a few cards like this and unfortunately I'm not sure how they determine the over all grade. But I agree with you it should be a 9. Seems like the overall grade should be the average of the sub grades. Would make way more sense. 

8.5+9.5+9.5+8.5 = 36 / 4 = 9 

Not sure why they don't do it like this.

Pretty sure it is standardized, and maybe even BGS is the same way, but when the two lowest grades match, that IS the grade.  Think about it... imagine if you had a card that was creased all over and the edges were jacked up.  But the card had perfect centering and somehow perfect corners, so you have 2 -10's and 2 -1's.   The card doesn't get a 5, it gets a 1.  The double negative per se overrules any bump.   And of course it's usually a rule that there can only be a 1 grade max bump from the lowest grade, so it could be 2 and not a 5, but again the double grade overrules.

Edited by Rufuss C. Kingston

10 hours ago, EpicPulls said:

I have seen a few cards like this and unfortunately I'm not sure how they determine the over all grade. But I agree with you it should be a 9. Seems like the overall grade should be the average of the sub grades. Would make way more sense. 

8.5+9.5+9.5+8.5 = 36 / 4 = 9 

Not sure why they don't do it like this.

I thought it was the average of the sub grades as well, but someone told me that they are weighed differently. I mean it does make sense because if you had a super heavy damaged card that had 10 centering but 2 for everything else, should that card really come back graded as a 4? I dont think so. 

"The overall numerical grade is not a simple average of the four subgrades. Uses an algorithm which determines the final grade using the four sub grades on the front label of the card holder. The lowest overall grade is the first category to observe because it is the most obvious defect, and the lowest grade is the most heavily weighted in determining the overall grade."

6 minutes ago, LuckyMouse said:

Sooo....who knows why this card got the grade it did? Seems as though it should have been an 8. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Mew8.5.jpg

Error Slab - KEEP!

29 minutes ago, Toybot said:

Error Slab - KEEP!

That's what I'm guessing. Curious though, if maybe vintage Japanese has a different algorithm or something like that. And yeah, being my fav card, it isn't going anywhere.

6 hours ago, LuckyMouse said:

That's what I'm guessing. Curious though, if maybe vintage Japanese has a different algorithm or something like that. And yeah, being my fav card, it isn't going anywhere.

Nah, the rule of "If 2 Sub Grades Match, that is the final score(lower of the if 2 pairs of matching Sub Grades are present).

That should be a final grade of 8. I would definitely keep until CGC is more popular.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:59 PM, Toybot said:

Error Slab - KEEP!

Probably not an error. I would think the algorithm has consideration for how others of the same cards grade. Those mews have god awful centering normally. Maybe with that in mind, an 8 for centering isn’t that bad, and the other 9 and 9.5 are weighed heavier.