• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Western Penn Pedigree and What I Know
3 3

138 posts in this topic

For many of you to young to know, there was a magazine that came out advertising comics and stories about creators and artists called the Comic Buyers Guide. For those of us collectors back in the day it was the best way for us to connect with those selling and wanting to purchase. It was what we had before social media!

Edited by linmoth

I first met the owner of the WPC through an ad in the CBG. He had 4 books for sale. Showcase 22, 23 and 24 Nm/M for 1K, Green Lantern #1 and Showcase 43. The Showcase GL books were gone when I called but I ended up buying the GL and Showcase 43! The guy that purchased the 22-24 still owns them.

19 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

wow...what is inside that?

Look into the eyes of the catalog and despair :sumo: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Anyone ever hang around the comic shop when they were younger just checking out all the great books they could probably never own. 
Then the door opens and in walks an older guy with a stack full of those books in NM condition.

Who had the balls to go up to the man when he walked out the door and ask “Hey mister you have any other books you want to sell”?

This catalog was put together much later after the majority of the books were sold. Thee OO and his father would buy every book every month and some times 5 or 10 copies of #1’s.

Remember when they were 10 and 12 cents?

I do and there were a lot of comic fans that were upset when ther raised the price to .12.

Just went through and counted a few popular titles late 60’s.

Iron Man 1 - 4 copies $475 each

IM and Subby 1 - 8 copies $150 each

Submariner 1 - 2 copies $160 each 

OO’s probably bought 10-20 copies of each!

On with the story! So after I bought the GL 1 and Showcase 43 I rang him up on the phone and Asked “Hey mister you have any more books to sell”! I’ve got balls. It turned out he was a generation younger than me maybe 1.5. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship! Except he was a Marvel geek which didn’t turn out to bad since he was more inclined to let the DC’s go. I would say we became pretty good friends.

So, we would talk on the phone and laugh our asses off about nothing in particular and joke about how the Marvel Bronze Age books were never going to be worth anything! 
I got an invite to his house, packed up some of my books and headed northwest to Pittsburg. 
What a great trip. First time I ever saw Mile High books, sorry Church and comics piled in stacks. I had a House of Mystery #1 that he thought was a Church book but I sold it before it was ever verified. After checking out his monkey and electric eel which he told me about and I thought yea u r full of it. No way that’s why I believe what he told me about the collection!

IF YOU ARE GETTING BORED LMK AND I’ll FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO!

Edited by linmoth

The collection was put together by a father and son who had a passion for comics. The father Golden age and the son into the Silver Age. I was told there were pristine Golden Age books in the collection but I never saw any. But I have no reason to doubt what I was told. The father passed and the son George continued on with the collection. He was single, lived with his parents and worked out of town. Didn’t have much to do with his money but spend it on his collection. He was a very early participant in the comic fandom movement. There was almost a complete run of fanzines in the collection and I had the opportunity to catalog them. Amazing stuff from the beginning of fandom. So onto the meeting at the Comic store.

From what I remember the OO had gotten into some legal problem and was selling books to pay for an attorney. when my friend went to the OO’s house to look at the books I can only imagine how he felt. He worked out a deal with the OO and bought the entire collection for $7K. A lot of money at the time and he had to talk his father into lending him the money. I’m not sure if I would loan my teenage son $7K to buy comic books but He did and he filled the family station wagon many times transporting the books to his house.

1 hour ago, linmoth said:

Remember when they were 10 and 12 cents?

I do and there were a lot of comic fans that were upset when ther raised the price to .12.

This is interesting.  I remember when comics went from 25 cents to 30 cents to 35 cents and then 40 cents.  But, among my friends, it was when they jumped to 50 cents that many of us were put off.