• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Western Penn Pedigree and What I Know
3 3

138 posts in this topic

I just remembered thinking they must have spent a small fortune on mylars. All the books were in them and the keys were doubled. It worked the books stayed perfect for a long time.

20 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I remember when Keith Contarino came on the boards, years ago, and said that he returned the Showcase 34-36 and Brave & Bold 34-36 back to Tom, because they were supposedly not high grade enough for Keith's tastes at the time!

Keith was a great guy, but he must've lost his mind when he said this!

I'm paraphrasing the conversation here, but I think it went something like this:

Keith: "I did a dumb thing and returned the Showcase Atoms and Hawkmans back to Tom because I thought they weren't high enough grade"

linmoth: "Keith, what were you thinking?"

Keith: "One of my biggest regrets in collecting"

tth2: "Keith, what were you thinking?"

Keith: "Ditto"

lol

From the Heritage archives, here is the WP Showcase 34 (not mine)

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F7%2F7%2F2377723%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

In my defense, I looked hard at the WP Showcase 34 but decided that my copy (which was later identified as the Slobodian copy) was better.

Thanks for posting those Tim! The 123 had white pages and had eye popping colors. I was surprised when it came back a 9.4 as the cover had a tear on it. It was on the opposite side of the spine 1/2 way up the book. It was about a 1/4” long and maybe a1/8” wide into the book. It was a rectangular tear top to bottom maybe a 1/4”. I’ve looked really hard at the scans but can’t see it but it was definitely there.
I heard that Forbes bought it, only what I heard.

On 5/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, linmoth said:

He had 4 books for sale. Showcase 22, 23 and 24 Nm/M for 1K, Green Lantern #1 and Showcase 43

Tom, did you ever take any pictures of the Green Lantern 1 and Showcase 43?

I think you mentioned that the Green Lantern 1 may have ended up in one of the early Sotheby's or Christie's comics auction. Do you recall which one? (I have most of those old catalogs and can check)

I took photo copies of most of my books, as I did the GL 1. It really doesn’t do the book justice. Don’t remember what auction. If I find the catalog I’ll LYK. Isn’t it fun looking through those old catalogs. If only!!!!

7 hours ago, linmoth said:

I took photo copies of most of my books, as I did the GL 1. It really doesn’t do the book justice. Don’t remember what auction. If I find the catalog I’ll LYK. Isn’t it fun looking through those old catalogs. If only!!!!

Do you still have a picture of it?  I'd love to know if it was the 9.4 copy that I owned for a number of years.  It's unfortunate that the Western Penn books didn't have any distinguishing marks to make it easier to identify copies that were released into the wild before they were designated as being part of the pedigree.

Thanks Tom, beautiful book, but doesn't appear to be the same copy as the 9.4 copy I used to own.  Too bad, it would've been really cool to find out that my copy was the WP. 

GL 1.jpg

Edited by tth2

Nice book Tim. Every time a GL 1 comes up for sale I always check to see if I can match it. This copy has a larger smudge on the spine side of the book. I’ve seen some close but none I would say was a match.

Edited by linmoth

On 5/3/2021 at 8:21 AM, linmoth said:

Iron Man 1 - 4 copies $475 each

IM and Subby 1 - 8 copies $150 each

Submariner 1 - 2 copies $160 each 

Submariner, there's more like 3-4 copies out there notated as WP's.   CGC 9.6 to 9.8.

Doctor Strange, I had 2 WP copies of #169's 9.6 to 9.8.

Captain Marvel 1, only ever seen the two copies, same again 9.6 to 9.8.

Hulk 102, I think there's 2-4 copies floating around, again 9.6 to 9.8.

Captain America 100... I think there's a 9.2 copy out there.

Edited by Microchip

If you read my post, this catalog was years after the collection was mostly sold. I also posted that the OO probably bought 10-20 copies of the late 60’s books! I see them very frequently fo sale!

13 hours ago, linmoth said:

This copy has a larger smudge on the spine side of the book.

I've never understood how the printing process resulted in the smudge varying so much from book to book, but that smudge near the top corner of the building is often a good way of distinguishing between different copies of GL 1.

Thanks Tom, for posting that photocopy of the Green Lantern 1

Was there distributor ink on the top edge of the book (see the red arrow below) or is that from the photocopy?

Also, you know, you can get that photocopy pressed, if you wish! :)

image.png.0d139e8d677cde15b60114e0901b595c.png