• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Western Penn Pedigree and What I Know
3 3

138 posts in this topic

Would love to hear more about the Friedlander brothers involvement/part of the Western Penn collection.

Use to hear rumors back in the day (pre-internet) of the collection, multiple high grade Showcase 4s, multiple Plymouth Super Bird cars, etc....... Again, rumors

Great guy, prolly the most intelligent business person I have met. I remember how welcoming his Mom was, great lady.

He sent me pictures of the cars and we talked about the SC 4’s. I did buy a SC 7 from the collection.

I’m not comfortable saying much more about his personal life.

I would imagine he has seen this thread. If he wants to come on and elaborate the ball is in his court!

Best, Tom

I love reading about these pedigree stories!  It's fascinating to learn how these collections came about and how they survived in such amazing condition over the years.  I'm especially intrigued with the Green River pedigree, where two very young brothers began acquiring and hoarding comics in the early 60's from their father's drugstore!  I mean how many "young teenagers" at that time were meticulously collecting and storing high grade books (and even picking up multiple copies of certain issues!) with thoughts of their future re-sale value?!  They were well ahead of their time!! :bigsmile:

And the story of how the books came to market is just as interesting:

spidey 56 coa038.jpg

spidey 56 039.jpg

Edited by mosconi

6 hours ago, linmoth said:

Great guy, prolly the most intelligent business person I have met. I remember how welcoming his Mom was, great lady.

He sent me pictures of the cars and we talked about the SC 4’s. I did buy a SC 7 from the collection.

I’m not comfortable saying much more about his personal life.

I would imagine he has seen this thread. If he wants to come on and elaborate the ball is in his court!

Best, Tom

Great to hear that the Showcase 4s and the Plymouth SuperBirds were not Urban Legend!

Oh man, having Mike Friedlander participating in this thread would be pure gold...no wait, this is the SILVER forum...no, I was right the first time, it would be PURE GOLD!!

Thanks Tom!

11 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Great thread, Tom.

In the early 2000s, I bought a bunch of (supposed) Western Penn books on eBay from Chris Cole. Where does he or she fit into the Western Penn story? (I still don't know if Chris was a man or woman.)

Welcome back to the Boards, haven't seen you here in ages!

Chris is Christi.  If they were listed as Western Penns by her, then they were indeed Western Penns.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:57 PM, tth2 said:

B&B 34 is not a particularly hard book to find in NM, but the WP B&B 34 is simply the nicest copy I've ever seen because of the color saturation of that wonderful electric blue cover and, most importantly, it is by far the best centered copy of this notoriously miswrapped book.  The 35 and 36 ain't too bad either!

B&B 35.JPG

For anyone interested in picking up a Western Penn SA DC beauty, I just noticed the WP B&B 35 in the previews for the upcoming Heritage Signature Auction.  Still in the same slab, meaning it hasn't been touched since being submitted by Tom.

There's a bunch of high grade SA DCs in the same auction--I noticed a few other books that I had sold in the past, so whoever accumulated a bunch of nice DCs almost 15 years ago has decided to put them back into the market.

Tim, I noticed that someone is dumping a bunch of nice DC’s also. I thought the B&B 34,35 & 36 were all 9.4’s. Didn’t think u would buy a 9.2 but there it is in the auction. Will you check on that? Maybe it’s an early resub that someone got burnt on! My eyes are going it is a 9.4! At least my memory is still good😎

Edited by linmoth

22 hours ago, linmoth said:

Tim, I noticed that someone is dumping a bunch of nice DC’s also. I thought the B&B 34,35 & 36 were all 9.4’s. Didn’t think u would buy a 9.2 but there it is in the auction. Will you check on that? Maybe it’s an early resub that someone got burnt on! My eyes are going it is a 9.4! At least my memory is still good😎

It's still in its original 9.4 slab, but the listing mistakenly describes it as a 9.2.  

When I saw the listing, I also did a double take because I knew the book was a 9.4.  I was going to ask you if there were doubles of the book, but then I opened the listing and saw that it was just a mistake in their description.

21 hours ago, linmoth said:

Nice books! Cant beat the colors on those WPA books. I forgot to add that the OO kept the books in laundry bags stored in a dry basement. 
Best

That really explains a lot.  For those who've never seen a WP book in person, particularly a raw copy, you just can't believe how fresh the books are.  The inks look wet.