• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Western Penn Pedigree and What I Know
3 3

138 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, DanCooper said:

I remember when Keith Contarino came on the boards, years ago, and said that he returned the Showcase 34-36 and Brave & Bold 34-36 back to Tom, because they were supposedly not high grade enough for Keith's tastes at the time!

I'm paraphrasing the conversation here, but I think it went something like this:

Keith: "I did a dumb thing and returned the Showcase Atoms and Hawkmans back to Tom because I thought they weren't high enough grade"

linmoth: "Keith, what were you thinking?"

Keith: "One of my biggest regrets in collecting"

tth2: "Keith, what were you thinking?"

Keith: "Ditto"

I remember reading Keith's market reports in the Overstreet Updates because that was always a rather uplifting positive read.  (thumbsu

Heard he got himself into some hard times after that and was wondering if he was still wandering God's green Earth or has he gone down under?  :(  :wishluck:

On 5/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, linmoth said:

As I was leaving there was a table with books stacked 2 or 3 feet high. My friend said hey Tom take anything you want. There were 5-10 Metal Men #1’s and more that I don’t remember. I’m not into freebies.

Trying to get this thread back on track with a more positive spin.

Tom, was this Metal Men #1, that you posted earlier, one of those "freebies"?

E2B10DDB-CA22-453A-AE75-D4F15B54CC32.jpeg

I don’t remember as there was also a run of MM and Sea Devils! I kinda remember the MM 1 having a date stamp on the cover. He may have sent this with some other books knowing my affinity for DC. He’s a very giving person!

Edited by linmoth

6 hours ago, Rosland said:

Not a DC, but I am curious if WP had Adventure Comics included.

Not that I've ever seen.  Or JLAs.

But they could be out there and just haven't been identified as such, which unfortunately is all to possible because of the lack of distinctive markings on the books.  

It's really too bad the WP collection wasn't brought to market in as organized and well-documented a fashion as the Pacific Coast books, which similarly don't have distinctive markings but have been tracked and identified really well.  

Edited by tth2

Tim, I had the MGA run from 80-85! They were really nice. I tried to buy the 80 awhile back but got over bid. I think it was on CL. If it was on HA that never would have happened. The book I really wanted to reacquire was the SC 55 had a cumputer glitch and was the underbidder. I had this idea of getting some of the books in original holders back but that has become cost prohibitive. If there ever was a 10 to b graded that is it. The cover gloss is unreal and the corners u could shave with. 
I’m going to post the last raw Western Penn that I have a little later cause Monday it’s off to CGC!

Tim it goes back to the 40’s. There was a Big All American which I owned briefly. An All Flash 1, and a run of GL’s. I was told by Mike that he set up at shows and sold many of the GA books to 1 collector so he could pay his dad back. He would take him to his house but blind fold him so he wouldn’t know where he lived.

The Tarzan probably came from Stuart Mikes brother.

Edited by linmoth

1 hour ago, linmoth said:

I had the MGA run from 80-85! They were really nice. I tried to buy the 80 awhile back but got over bid. I think it was on CL. If it was on HA that never would have happened

The MGA 80 was sold on Comic Link last August 2020 for $26,105. Heritage also shows the copy being sold twice, in back to back years 2004 and 2005:

lf?set=path%5B1%2F8%2F8%2F7%2F1887639%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by DanCooper

I sold it in 2004! Tried to buy it back when it was on CL was over bid. I really dislike their auction site and the bidding process. As I said previously, if it was on HA it would b in my collection right now!

I believe it sold for just north of $8K. I bet it’s over $20K now!

Edited by linmoth

6 minutes ago, linmoth said:

I believe it sold for just north of $8K. I bet it’s over $20K now!

MGA 80 Western Penn past auction results (all same copy)

2004 - $4,945 (Heritage)

2005 - $4,312 (Heritage)

2020 - $26,105 (Comic Link)

I just bought the B&B 54 back and it was over $21K. That’s what I meant by being cost prohibitive. But if I c them I’m going to bid on them. Maybe I may win a few. Of course the Promise Collection may deplete my war chest a little.😎

Edited by linmoth

Ok here is the last raw book from the Western Penn collection. We use to call these books the George Collection before CGC pedigreed them. 
I don’t know why I’ve kept this one all of this time, it’s not really in my area. It’s a really nice book and the first captain atom. It is listed as Strange Suspense Stories #78. Once it’s submitted I think it will b the highest graded.

55FA1CDD-9367-4E0E-ABBF-B8CB80F3F9A5.jpeg