• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Western Penn Pedigree and What I Know
3 3

138 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, linmoth said:

Hey Dan Cooper what do you know about the Western Penn Collection?

Hi Tom

You are THE Western Penn expert/source! I'm just a lowly outsider looking in!

Most of my knowledge of the collection was what I heard through the comics grapevine, pre-internet, in the 1980s/1990s. Before the internet, and ebay, I always thought the Friedlander brothers were the ones who amassed the collection from the start. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, some stuff seemed to be the thing of Urban Legends - multiple copies of very high grade Showcase 4s, a muscle car collection that included several Plymouth SuperBirds, etc.. It seems you have confirmed that most of that was true or heard the same. BTW, if you ever stumble across that picture of the SuperBirds that Mike F. sent you, please post it!

One of my first exposures to seeing high grade examples of the Western Penn, live and in the flesh, was at an early 1990s NYC Fred Greenberg/Penta Hotel show that Keith Contarino was at. Keith had high grade runs, from #1 issues up, of Atom, Aquaman and Hawkman. He also had the high grade WP run of Our Army At War from #81 up (NO #83 though! :frustrated:)

Keith was looking to sell these as runs only. He stated, over the years, that he thought the Hawkman run could have been the most perfect batch of books (structurally) that he ever laid eyes on on. And that is saying a lot, especially with your experience of Keith returning the WP Showcase/Brave & Bold books mentioned earlier also!

Something I remembered when I saw Eides obit. That was the store that George was selling his books when Mike approached him. Hence when I mentioned his name to Greg he wasn’t  that enthralled!

Best, Tom

I have an ad somewhere that I ran in CBG for a lot of the WPA books. If I find it I will post it. If I remember correctly those runs you mentioned were sold to Keith. Most of the Marvel junk was sold to Sparkle City and then ultimately to Brulato. I’m going through my collection and finding things I had totally forgot about. Most aren’t that interesting to anyone but me although they do bring back great memories.

I’ll look for the car pictures I probably have them.

Best

8 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Keith was looking to sell these as runs only. He stated, over the years, that he thought the Hawkman run could have been the most perfect batch of books (structurally) that he ever laid eyes on on. And that is saying a lot, especially with your experience of Keith returning the WP Showcase/Brave & Bold books mentioned earlier also!

I believe the WP Hawkman run has been slabbed and the grades are uniformly very high.

9 hours ago, linmoth said:

I’m going through my collection and finding things I had totally forgot about. Most aren’t that interesting to anyone but me although they do bring back great memories.

Tom, you wouldn't believe what us junkies would find interesting when it comes to pedigree collections.

People would do podcasts interviewing wood panels from Edgar Church's walls, if they thought there was a possibility that it could speak!

Please post whatever you have and let the audience decide for themselves. Most likely, we will eat it up!

Here’s the ad we ran in CBG! Didn’t remember the Pep 22 but it’s in there.

some info I found while reading through our correspondence. Collection was found in 1976! George the OO worked out of town for 6 months in 1961. The place he bought his books marked some with grease pencil like the SC 31. I guess he picked the ones that didn’t have it because none of the Flash’s did.

It’s been fun looking through all of this stuff I had forgotten how much fun we had.

Best

09F20227-8275-4B45-AFC6-6FDEF04C07F0.jpeg

EEFBE380-D966-4499-912D-3239CA8C5DAB.jpeg

18 minutes ago, linmoth said:

Here u go DB! First picture is Mike after I kept bugging him about the DC’s. Found the cars. Enjoy!

440C880C-05E6-4AC0-9D8D-B1B5F35A924B.jpeg

08E7B938-6736-4CEE-B14D-1D198AE0F56C.jpeg

INCREDIBLE Tom!

Thanks so much for posting this!

Now I know how those people must feel like, when they (think) see Big Foot or Loch Ness after hearing the legend for so long!

Thanks again

Don't know if these are the exact same copies that ran in that CBG ad that Tom posted, since there were multiple copies of most books in the Western Penn collection. But, if these are the same copies, that were eventually graded by CGC years (decades) later, I guess we can call whomever graded the books in the CBG ad a STRICT GRADER, or at least ACCURATE!

Comparisons with CGC books posted in this thread earlier versus CBG ad:

FLASH 123 - CGC 9.4/ CBG - VF/NM (interesting both CGC and CBG ad note "WHITE PAGES")

FLASH 129 - CGC 9.4/ CBG - NM

MY GREATEST ADVENTURE 80, 81 & 85 - CGC 9.6/ CBG - NM/M      

SGT. FURY 4 -     CGC 9.4/ CBG - NM/M    

SHOWCASE 34 - CGC 9.4/ CBG - VF/NM

SHOWCASE 35 - CGC 9.6/ CBG - VF+

SHOWCASE 36 - CGC 9.6/ CBG - VF/NM

Edited by DanCooper

11 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I was going to say that Tom may have been a bit too strict in his grading if the advertised copies were the ones he slabbed! lol

Having owned the 35 & 36, there is simply no world in which they would be VF-ish books. 

Interesting to see that Showcase 38 is listed as NM/M.  Tom, did you end up selling it or slabbing it yourself?  

Because I previously owned the copy shown below, which did not have any pedigree identified, but it is a contender for nicest early SA book I've ever seen, and I've always wondered if it came from a pedigree.

The scan doesn't really do justice for how perfect the book is and how fresh the inks are (even through the slab).  I can be pretty jaded, but this was a book that I'd pull up every now and then just to gaze upon its perfection.

showcase 38.JPG

Edited by tth2

12 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Comparisons with CGC books posted in this thread earlier versus CBG ad:

FLASH 123 - CGC 9.4/ CBG - VF/NM (interesting both CGC and CBG ad note "WHITE PAGES")

FLASH 129 - CGC 9.4/ CBG - NM

MY GREATEST ADVENTURE 80, 81 & 85 - CGC 9.6/ CBG - NM/M      

SGT. FURY 4 -     CGC 9.4/ CBG - NM/M    

Here are the Western Penn Hawkmans that I was able to find in Heritage's archives:

Hawkman 1 CGC 9.4 / CBG - NM/M (or perhaps this is the NM double)

Hawkman 2 CGC 9.2 / CBG - NM/M (or perhaps this is the NM double)

Hawkman 3 CGC 9.6 / No copy in CBG ad

Hawkman 4 CGC 9.6 / CBG - M

Hawkman 5 CGC 9.8 / CBG - M 

Hawkman 6 CGC 9.6 / CBG - M

Hawkman 7 CGC 9.6 / CBG - NM/M

Hawkman 8 CGC 9.4 / CBG - NM

Hawkman 9 CGC 9.2 / CBG - NM/M

Hawkman 10 CGC 9.6 / CBG - NM/M

Hawkman 13 CGC 9.8 / CBG - NM/M