• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Western Penn Pedigree and What I Know
3 3

138 posts in this topic

Lost track a little. So after I saw the monkey and the electric eel we went to the living room and were watching the Twilight Zone and showing off books to each other. His brother was there and had some nice books but I really wanted to see the DC’s. Off to the comic room. Their house was an older home with a turret built on it and that’s were the books were. Start with the Church run of Pep and Shield Wizard. For some reason they had a fascination with MLJ. He handed me a stack of Pep comics and they were gorgeous Church books that ended up in the Gerber Photo Journal. Then along came CGC the books got graded and there was one that graded lower than the others. That’s the one I dropped out of the stack of mylars that he handed me. Oops!

Edited by linmoth

4 hours ago, linmoth said:

Who had the balls to go up to the man when he walked out the door and ask “Hey mister you have any other books you want to sell”?

That should be the first question every person there should be asking! 

So now I’m getting upset having to look at all of this historic comicbook goodness. I want the DC’s. But it’s not time yet. I have to sit through AF 15 NM/M, FF1 NM/M, TOS 39 NM/M, HULK 1 NM/M and DD 1 NM/M. Thank god the Avengers 1 were stolen  out of the collection so I didn’t have to see that. So now it’s time for the DC’s?

4 hours ago, linmoth said:

There are 5 pages of Daredevil later in the catalog but the 7 is listed on page 1!

Seeing that DD 7 listed there brings me great pain.  I had won the 2, 3 and 4 raw on eBay at nosebleed prices of 3X Guide and had struck up an email conversation with the lady who seemed to be running their auctions.  She asked if I would be interested in buying the 7 directly, but was asking something like 6X Guide, which at the time was just an astronomical price, so I passed.  :cry:

The 2, 3 and 4 were absolutely gorgeous.  The inks looked like they were still wet.

16 minutes ago, linmoth said:

Start with the Church run of Pep and Shield Wizard.

Thanks Tom, this is really interesting.

We always think of OOs as guys who just lived in their own little bubble obsessively buying books off the newsstand and preserving them well, but never seem to think of them as also being collectors who purchased books in the secondary market.

The father must have been well plugged into the collecting community if he had access to the Church runs of these books.  

And yes, we know from the CGC grades how pristine these books were. 

Was the Pep 22 in there, or had it already been sold separately? 

Oh the DC’s the wonderful gorgeous books that predated that Marvel . Out comes Showcase 34, 35 and 36. Brave and the Bold 34, 35 and 36 and my favorite book that I really wanted to see Flash 123. Ye ha. Tim on the boards tth2 bought some of the books. Never pressed comicbook goodness! I worked out a deal to sell some of the collection in return for a discount on those beautiful DC’s that were still there. As I was leaving there was a table with books stacked 2 or 3 feet high. My friend said hey Tom take anything you want. There were 5-10 Metal Men #1’s and more that I don’t remember. I’m not into freebies. Great experience that will probably never happen again. More later!

7 minutes ago, linmoth said:

End of story hope you all enjoyed. Brought back a lot of great memories!

GREAT STUFF, Tom!

So, how did the Friedlanders (Mike & Stu) come into play with the Western Penn collection and with the original father/son collectors?

Mike, Stu and another brother who I don’t remember his name were all recipients of the collection. Their father made Michael split the collection among them. That’s what I remember being told. 

13 hours ago, linmoth said:

Tim, that was my friends wife! 

Yes, Christi.  I decided to dig up some old emails to find her name.  Very nice lady.