The Western Penn Pedigree and What I Know
2 2

90 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, linmoth said:

The Showcase 31 graded 9.2 the 37 9.2. 
I had the WPA and the Pacific Coast 37 at the same time. They both were pretty similar. Don’t know what kind of holder they are in now!

I love that 37 cover.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, DanCooper said:

I remember when Keith Contarino came on the boards, years ago, and said that he returned the Showcase 34-36 and Brave & Bold 34-36 back to Tom, because they were supposedly not high grade enough for Keith's tastes at the time!

I'm paraphrasing the conversation here, but I think it went something like this:

Keith: "I did a dumb thing and returned the Showcase Atoms and Hawkmans back to Tom because I thought they weren't high enough grade"

linmoth: "Keith, what were you thinking?"

Keith: "One of my biggest regrets in collecting"

tth2: "Keith, what were you thinking?"

Keith: "Ditto"

I remember reading Keith's market reports in the Overstreet Updates because that was always a rather uplifting positive read.  (thumbsu

Heard he got himself into some hard times after that and was wondering if he was still wandering God's green Earth or has he gone down under?  :(  :wishluck:

I believe he committed suicide after a run in with the law. Being a veterinarian with access to animal drugs did him in! Shame seemed like a knowledgeable dealer and hobbyist!

Although I am glad he sent the books back. RIP!

On 5/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, linmoth said:

As I was leaving there was a table with books stacked 2 or 3 feet high. My friend said hey Tom take anything you want. There were 5-10 Metal Men #1’s and more that I don’t remember. I’m not into freebies.

Trying to get this thread back on track with a more positive spin.

Tom, was this Metal Men #1, that you posted earlier, one of those "freebies"?

E2B10DDB-CA22-453A-AE75-D4F15B54CC32.jpeg

I don’t remember as there was also a run of MM and Sea Devils! I kinda remember the MM 1 having a date stamp on the cover. He may have sent this with some other books knowing my affinity for DC. He’s a very giving person!

Edited by linmoth