• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October Philly Comic Con.

17 posts in this topic

http://www.philadelphiacomic-con.com/

October 9th at the Ramada Inn in Essington, PA (maybe 7 miles southwest of Philly).

10AM - 4PM

76 Industrial Highway - Essington, PA

FROM SOUTH: Exit 8 Off I-95 (Ridley Park Exit)

FROM NORTH: Exit 9A Off I-95

Free parking.

Guests:

SCOTT BEATTY

Writer - Batman Begins Movie Adaptation,

Nightwing Year One, Son of Vulcan

JAMAL IGLE

Artist - Venture, Wolverine,

Gambit, Firestorm

$3 admission.

Okay, I'm going to have to organize a get together that I won't really be attending: We should all meet at the con regardless.

I am going to be there at 10 AM hanging out at Gary Platt's booth, and I suggest all of us meet there or at Al Stoltz's booth at some point, or since most of you know me, just flag me down. I'm the Asian dude with glasses on probably in a t-shirt and jeans.

Now, I have to ditch out on the game and lunch. Frankly, there's a friend of mine who's only free on Sunday, and I like to try and see her usually at least once a week so... you guys are getting ditched. That said, I suggest everyone keep to the plan and if you guys continue to watch the late game, I can come back and probably watch that with you.

Without question though, I'd like to see some of the forum members there.

I agree. So did Bob Siman. To make matters worse, the dealer next to Dave Reynolds (not Derek Woywood) opened his mouth to prove what a insufficiently_thoughtful_person he was when I was talking about the Ewert situation. Of course, I can't blame his dislike of lawyers (which was the start of his initial rant), but the surest sign of lack of intelligence are those who covere their ears trying to shout that they don't want to hear anything.

Other than Gary Platt and Koop, the show is really slim pickin's.

Sad to say, I agree with Brian that the monthly Philly show is losing its punch when it comes to high grade early Silver. With the proliferation of Wizard shows and continued Internet success, there is less and less motivation for dealers to do the major schlepping of longboxes required of a show like this one.

With that being said, as long as one has broad taste, it is still possible to find plenty of goodies and spend an entire wad of cash. I love buying at local shows, and hope that dealers will continue to find them a worthwhile way to build interest in the hobby with young collectors.

I finally upgraded my off-the-rack ASM122 with a gorgeous 9.4 slab from Gary Platt. Raw pickups:

Picture frame Marvels in NM/NM- condition from New York Gene:

Cap144.jpg

Cap145.jpg

Late silver and early Bronze beauties from Koop:

DD77.jpg

Iron48.jpg

Hilariously cheesy Eerie non-code horror mags, both number 1 issues (about F/VF and VF), obtained from precode horror collector/dealer John Rodenmaker:

TerrorTales1.jpg

HorrorTales1.jpg

Well, as several of us have discussed, the problem is that this show needs to be held downtown. I'm never for raised admission, but if better dealers were there (hey bob storms and joe verenault, come to Philly!) along with currents like Koop, Gary Platt, Al Stoltz, Jeff Weaver and Dave Reynolds, I think the show would be good -- and I'd happily pay double the admission price to get in.

I agree with the conclusions here. This show desperately needs to be held in Center City. Charge $5 admission, I don't care, but please bring in more dealers.

Some of these dealers are hauling the same stuff to every show. It's getting tiresome. I don't know if I'll be attending the December one or not. If Al Stoltz and Jeff Weaver go, I might attend, but that's just about the only reason for me to go. I'm primarily a Golden Age / Pre-Code buyer, so this show is pretty weak as it is.

Was anyone buying today? I didn't see money change hands at all at the booths I was at between noon and 2pm.

Some money did change hands -- though I suspect very little. Al, I believe, will be there in December, but I like to not spend money on myself during that time of year... and since I'd like to spend the bulk of my money at the National, I doubt I will do much more than look.

I'll be buying at the National, too, since I'll have much more to choose from. With Harley, Motor City, Superworld, and Metro (bringing books I want to check out in person) there, I'm sure I'll be spending a bunch.

I just have to find a way to stay out of earshot of Carbonaro...