• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck? Another Ebay question!
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Don't apologize for bringing your scenario here my friend. Though some may not relate to your specific situation, some may. A few years ago I tried several different ways to sell runs/lots of comics to no avail. I eventually concluded it was a matter of timing, demand, interest, and whatever is/was going on in the market at the time.

For the last few years I turned to mostly selling CGC graded variants that I (think I know) are hot and/or moving well/sparking interest. Currently, I will post a sell price with a BIN and accept offers at minimum limits. If I go a few days without a bite, an increase in watchers, or offers, I'll switch to auction. For some reason this has been working lately (the last three months or so).

It's just a constant monitoring of the temperature of the market and specific issues IMO for FWIW.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:06 AM, Math Teacher said:

Everyone, thank you for clarifying my question. But, in my defense, I was told by an Ebay employee that selling a lot of 25 comics counted as 25 sales. If an Ebay representative gives you information, I felt that is was true. But now I know better. :foryou:

Yes, you do.....

8 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

During most of 2020, selling my items was easy. Since the beginning of 2021, selling has become much more difficult.

Here's a simple (and totally accurate) explanation: almost all BIN-type sellers will have a sales rate that is highly nonlinear.  Items with the greatest demand and most favorable pricing will move quickly, shortly after they're listed.  After that, your "store" will contain only low-demand and/or unfavorably priced items, and all you'll hear will be the sound of crickets.

8 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

As I said, nonlinearity is a phenomenon common to all BIN-type sellers.  However, your individual results are made worse by the fact that your shipping fees are definitely not buyer-friendly.  For example, your first example listing has a BIN price of $10.50 and a fee for economy shipping (USPS Parcel Service) of $9.79.  Your second example listing (the Flash #1-13 lot) has a BIN price of $15.00 and a fee for economy shipping of $13.90.  Your stated shipping fees are almost doubling the bottom-line purchase price of the item.  :whatthe:

If you cannot find more attractively priced shipping options, you should consider grouping your remaining items into much larger lots (which will have the effect of reducing the per-item shipping fee).  And, if you're really serious about increasing your sales volume, replace all of your BIN listings with $0.99 auctions.  Just remember that not even a $0.99 item price will be low enough if shipping+tax already exceeds the market value of the item.

I hope this helps.  :foryou:

I've recently started selling small lots on eBay as well. Anywhere from 5-13 books or so, trying to keep the number manageable. I almost always do auctions for them. I price them in 1 of 2 ways, if it's a "hot" mini-series (like JLA/Avengers) I'll look at recent sales and price accordingly (just had a sale of that lot for $60'ish). If it's just a random run or assortment of a copper/modern/maybe even bronze title then I initially price at a dollar a book, regardless of what it is, and then lower accordingly as the 7 day auctions don't sell. I just started a couple of weeks ago so I have no concrete data over time, but it does seem to be working so far. Sold a few of the mini series, and a few random runs/lots of Avengers. Have quite a few Avengers lots still going, so I'm seeing how that goes.

I do offer media mail for lots though. I figure the off chance of 1 getting stopped and me charged for it is probably less of a risk than the sales I might lose by only offering priority or somesuch.

4 hours ago, xvipah said:

I do offer media mail for lots though. I figure the off chance of 1 getting stopped and me charged for it is probably less of a risk than the sales I might lose by only offering priority or somesuch.

I am afraid to that. I've never had a box opened, but I only use Media Mail for TPBs or books. And, according to what I have read, USPS considers TPBs a little iffy.

Yea, it's a risk for sure. But like I said, if the possibility of USPS noticing and charging me an extra $7 over Media Mail for one shipment equals me selling even 3 or 4 more of the lots at a higher price because the shipping is palatable, it seems worth it to me.

36 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I am afraid to that. I've never had a box opened, but I only use Media Mail for TPBs or books. And, according to what I have read, USPS considers TPBs a little iffy.

7 hours ago, zzutak said:

As I said, nonlinearity is a phenomenon common to all BIN-type sellers.  However, your individual results are made worse by the fact that your shipping fees are definitely not buyer-friendly.  For example, your first example listing has a BIN price of $10.50 and a fee for economy shipping (USPS Parcel Service) of $9.79.  Your second example listing (the Flash #1-13 lot) has a BIN price of $15.00 and a fee for economy shipping of $13.90.  Your stated shipping fees are almost doubling the bottom-line purchase price of the item.  :whatthe:

If you cannot find more attractively priced shipping options, you should consider grouping your remaining items into much larger lots (which will have the effect of reducing the per-item shipping fee).  And, if you're really serious about increasing your sales volume, replace all of your BIN listings with $0.99 auctions.  Just remember that not even a $0.99 item price will be low enough if shipping+tax already exceeds the market value of the item.

Your explanation makes sense, but I am uncomfortable with taking the chance of sending a lot of comics using Media Mail. Yes, I have heard repeatedly that rarely, if ever, does a box get inspected by the Post Office. And you're probably right that it doesn't happen, until it does. If my shipping charges are high now, think how much money I would lose if I had to ship a package a second time.

Look, I understand that people don't want to pay a lot of shipping, but I don't think I should be required to break the law to make them happy.

I would welcome any suggestions, other than your previous suggestions, as to how to reduce my shipping costs that don't entail breaking the law.

5 minutes ago, Shrimp Imp said:

Christ almighty relax, it's not breaking the law :ohnoez: you just pay the difference. 

I understand that I am not going to jail, but I am violating the regulations of USPS Media Mail. As an educator for 41 years, I have difficulty breaking rules.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

Your explanation makes sense, but I am uncomfortable with taking the chance of sending a lot of comics using Media Mail. Yes, I have heard repeatedly that rarely, if ever, does a box get inspected by the Post Office. And you're probably right that it doesn't happen, until it does. If my shipping charges are high now, think how much money I would lose if I had to ship a package a second time.

Look, I understand that people don't want to pay a lot of shipping, but I don't think I should be required to break the law to make them happy.

I would welcome any suggestions, other than your previous suggestions, as to how to reduce my shipping costs that don't entail breaking the law.

Did you actually read my post -- especially the passage you quoted?  I said absolutely nothing about breaking the law or using Media Mail.  :screwy:

24 minutes ago, zzutak said:

Did you actually read my post -- especially the passage you quoted?  I said absolutely nothing about breaking the law or using Media Mail.  :screwy:

Instead of berating me, you might want to see who I replied to when I mentioned breaking the law. Yes, you didn't mention Media Mail, but there are not a whole lot of cheap shipping options after Media Mail is taken off the table.

15 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Instead of berating me, you might want to see who I replied to when I mentioned breaking the law. Yes, you didn't mention Media Mail, but there are not a whole lot of cheap shipping options after Media Mail is taken off the table.

Shipping expenses on low cost items have always been an obstacle for me as well. 

I usually end up eating some of the shipping costs. And when your dealing with low dollar stuff, it doesn't take a Math Teacher to know it quickly becomes a losing proposition. 

If some of the pros here have tips or tricks I would love to hear it. 

Yea, I dunno. I have never gotten screwed by shipping. I do first class for 1-3 books, if it's on eBay, they usually charge about $1.75 more than the actual label costs. The box + supplies (tape, maybe bubble wrap, and a box) might cost $1. 

If it's media mail, I charge a flat rate of $7, covers anywhere from $2+ to $5+ for media depending on how far it's going + the shipping supplies, etc... 

Priority is the easiest, cause the boxes are free. So if something goes priority I literally am paying for the piece of paper + ink to print the label, a couple squares of bubble wrap, and some tape - maybe some extra packing material to fill in a box, but that's almost always junk mail/coupons/fliers anyway..

And @Math Teacher, yes it's technically against USPS policy but it is not illegal. If they do "catch" you, all they will do is charge you the difference from Media to Priority. if it costs you $7 once in 1000 shipments, but 200 of those shipments might not have happened without lower cost shipping. Well, you're a match teacher, you know how that math works  :)

1 hour ago, xvipah said:

And @Math Teacher, yes it's technically against USPS policy but it is not illegal. If they do "catch" you, all they will do is charge you the difference from Media to Priority. if it costs you $7 once in 1000 shipments, but 200 of those shipments might not have happened without lower cost shipping. Well, you're a match teacher, you know how that math works  :)

Thank you for putting in a perspective I hadn't thought of before. When I sell a lot of 25 comics in the future, I will ship them Media Mail.

However, if I am shipping two to three comics in a Gemini mailer, I believe I will have to use a higher-priced method of shipping. Nobody in their right mind will believe that a package that is carrying three comics contains media. Well, I could say that I had two CDs enclosed. :idea:

Yep. I use Media for lots or TPB/HC's only. 1-3 comics (maybe 4 if they are smaller ones and go under the weight limit) can go First Class, even in a gemini. That's usually the best option, cause then you can do padded envelope + cardboard for 1 or 2 also, save even more on your supplies.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

Thank you for putting in a perspective I hadn't thought of before. When I sell a lot of 25 comics in the future, I will ship them Media Mail.

However, if I am shipping two to three comics in a Gemini mailer, I believe I will have to use a higher-priced method of shipping. Nobody in their right mind will believe that a package that is carrying three comics contains media. Well, I could say that I had two CDs enclosed. :idea:

On a side note. if you REALLY want to save money on shipping supplies for lots, or other things aside from comic books.

Request the medium flat rate priority boxes (For comics these are great. there are a large assortment of other sizes for other things as well, including the larger rectangular boxes, I forget the designation, that work great for slabs) from USPS, grab a roll of the stuff linked below, and wrap the priority boxes in it like it's a present. Then mail it as a brown package Media or First Class.:) With free boxes your expenses then come down to tape, printer ink, paper, and bubble wrap. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VQWKNT

28 minutes ago, xvipah said:

On a side note. if you REALLY want to save money on shipping supplies for lots, or other things aside from comic books.

Request the medium flat rate priority boxes (For comics these are great. there are a large assortment of other sizes for other things as well, including the larger rectangular boxes, I forget the designation, that work great for slabs) from USPS, grab a roll of the stuff linked below, and wrap the priority boxes in it like it's a present. Then mail it as a brown package Media or First Class.:) With free boxes your expenses then come down to tape, printer ink, paper, and bubble wrap. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VQWKNT

Well that one you may want to be careful with.. 

"This packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law. This packaging is not for resale."

5 hours ago, zzutak said:

Yes, I did. And did you read my original question? How can I ship these books at a lower rate? Three people (myself, @KCOComics, and @1950's war comics) have expressed the same concern.

Here's a quote from you: "If you cannot find more attractively priced shipping options...."

When I originally replied, I asked for other suggestions. I believe that @KCOComicsand @1950's war comics would like to hear some suggestions also. However, instead of offering further suggestions, you instead chose to criticize me because I didn't "read" your post.

A box of 25 comics weighs approximately 4.5 pounds. No matter which method I choose, I am not going to be able to ship this package for $1.99 or some other ridiculously low price. And heaven forbid if I were to offer free shipping. I'm already losing money.

I just checked using Pirate Ship, and sending 4.5 pounds of comics to a location like New York is $5+. So, if I were to offer these lots for $0.99, as you suggested, the shipping charges could be possibly five times as much as the price of the comics.

Also, it really doesn't make any difference if I ship 15 comics or 25 comics. If the lot sells for $0.99, I am guaranteed to lose money.

So, the next time you are ready to pontificate, make sure to include your suggestions on how to lower shipping costs, other than what you have already mentioned.