• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many slabs of AmphoMan does this guy have...
2 2

68 posts in this topic

I went back and read the old 2013 thread about this comic coming out. 

I can only assume the "creator" is using auctions for promotion cause every single month CLINK has at least 1 copy for "auction". It never sells for the cost of slabbing as far as I've seen, so every sale is just lost money for this guy. 

Capture.JPG.4118414873c8c14540b5912009ad31c0.JPG

The weird thing is I feel like these auctions have gone on for years, yet the Census only shows 24 copies on census (Signature-wise) so I assume the author/creator/seller is bidding on them and sometimes winning them and then try selling again. 

Capture1.JPG.baafa5066380dec942e0caa9b7459b91.JPG

Will we ever have a CLINK auction without an AmphroMan listing? We can only hope (Oh and there are also PGX copies out there, which would seem to pair far better with the quality of the book)... 

Edited by miraclemet

I used to see this stuff when I was doing webcomics-people going to extraordinary lengths to generate a name for themselves and their stuff.  It never worked, ever.

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

He sued Cartoon Network and lost... with prejudice.

https://www.loeb.com/en/insights/publications/2017/11/kaye-v-cartoon-network-inc

I had missed that. Having pulled the full text of that decision, the case doesn't exactly do anything to better my opinion of Kaye. Who, I suppose it's worth noting, filed that lawsuit pro se. Indie comics publishing works okay. Indie law, typically less so. Although I'm sure most any copyright lawyer would have told him there was no there there from the start. "Has gems and magic" is not infringing...

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I wonder why only one sale shows up in GPA.

1.thumb.jpg.83ad1fa5b1d8ee683561c5876a40dd1b.jpg

Because those are signature series.  You need to click the Signature box on GPA to see the $25 and $35 sales for a CGC 9.8 signed "Rare Edition".

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Because those are signature series.  You need to click the Signature box on GPA to see the $25 and $35 sales for a CGC 9.8 signed "Rare Edition".

Duh.  Thanks.  I really don't deal with SS books so I forgot about that option.

1.thumb.jpg.77f2debe0963e0c6c1f5f06cab2eb9c4.jpg

20 hours ago, JohnFranklin said:

I love that he's obviously always citing his EMMY NOMINATION, but never says WHAT he was nominated form... Im assuming he was part of a pool of illustrators for a show that won an emmy that he had almost nothing to do with...

25 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I love that he's obviously always citing his EMMY NOMINATION, but never says WHAT he was nominated form... Im assuming he was part of a pool of illustrators for a show that won an emmy that he had almost nothing to do with...

His nomination was for set design. I'm not sure how much of a team effort that was, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Specifically, it was a nomination for a Suncoast Regional Emmy for set design. Regional Emmys are awards for productions that do not reach at least 50% of the US domestic audience. In this case, that means television that airs in Florida; parts of Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia; and/or Puerto Rico.

That's not to belittle the accomplishment of winners (or, here, even nominees) of the regional awards, but it isn't quite the same depth of competition. As far as the presenting organizations are concerned, even the regional awards are Emmys, and the regional competitors are Emmy Nominees and Emmy Winners, as appropriate. But that's almost certainly not what most people expect it means.

20 hours ago, valiantman said:

This is my favorite quote: "I had the honor of being compared to the late Stan Lee for my comic book creations."

Yeah?  Me too!

Hey, what do you think of my art?  -Valiantman

"This guy's no Stan Lee, I-tell-you-what."  -Hank Hill

But I have heard of you, so you have that going for you.

20 hours ago, Qalyar said:

His nomination was for set design. I'm not sure how much of a team effort that was, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Specifically, it was a nomination for a Suncoast Regional Emmy for set design. Regional Emmys are awards for productions that do not reach at least 50% of the US domestic audience. In this case, that means television that airs in Florida; parts of Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia; and/or Puerto Rico.

That's not to belittle the accomplishment of winners (or, here, even nominees) of the regional awards, but it isn't quite the same depth of competition. As far as the presenting organizations are concerned, even the regional awards are Emmys, and the regional competitors are Emmy Nominees and Emmy Winners, as appropriate. But that's almost certainly not what most people expect it means.

I'm suddenly reminded of the movie Superstar with Molly Shannon where her character Mary Katherine Gallagher wants to win the local talent show to get "a chance at being an extra in a Hollywood movie with positive moral values".

On 5/4/2021 at 10:28 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It's a fun read!

Some seriously funny stuff in that thread, I'd forgotten all about it.