• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gene Colan IRONMAN 1 ORIGIN original art sells for...

37 posts in this topic

32k seems like a good price to me (for the buyer).    That's a price I'd consider and I don't consider much with respect to art from that period.   Love the top half of the page.

Edited by Bronty

I agree. This was a good price 2-5 years ago. In today’s market I thought this had the potential to go higher.

So far we’re spending other people’s money but good buy the early consensus.

Which again begs the question. eBay the right place to sell this? sparklecitycomics runs great quality auctions as far as I can tell.

Specifically this piece though. If they sold it on consignment yes for sure they maximized their end.

If they owned it outright, then maybe they left meat on the bone?

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

I agree. This was a good price 2-5 years ago. In today’s market I thought this had the potential to go higher.

So far we’re spending other people’s money but good buy the early consensus.

Which again begs the question. eBay the right place to sell this? sparklecitycomics runs great quality auctions as far as I can tell.

Specifically this piece though. If they sold it on consignment yes for sure they maximized their end.

If they owned it outright, then maybe they left meat on the bone?

Good points, apeness... got a hunch this woulda gone much higher on (frothy) HA.

Ok where did everybody go?
Hey Alex what were those comic art links again?

I seriously thought the origin story of IRONMAN art would be interesting to talk about. Thank you to my four pals who chimed in.

Is it me or has participation with the threads fallen off the cliff? There’s very little energy here? 

I get the world is crazy right now. I’m just concerned. Is this “thing of ours” dying?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, grapeape said:

Thoughts on the art?

8E56C818-3FB3-425F-8D37-01D49172CF5B.thumb.jpeg.697ef1ebb3b0468b6773794ff7dcbc82.jpeg

Awesome... IRONMAN and the chem lab beaker. The MP’s gossiping, the doubts of military brass. Then Tony Stark shows then the powerful force of his magnetized tiny transistors.

” Now do you believe my inventions can help you in Viet-Nam?”

(worship)Yes.... and across the globe, the universe! Tony in the infancy of understanding his own vision.

Thoughts on the origin?

TOS 39 IRONMAN story is a complete book in black hole. So was this a good buy at $32,665 ?

Was ebay the right place to sell this? Did sparklecitycomics reach enough of an audience?

it was pretty cool to watch this on eBay. eBay used to be really exciting for comic art collectors. This brought back the good feelings.

🍇 🦍 

We won't know how good of a price it was until it either ends up on a dealers site or is auctioned on Heritage.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

The art is flat. Dead. Not much to talk about.

Herb Trimpe sold for 700k ;)

Its an iron man origin retold page either way (shrug)

Edited by Bronty

On 5/7/2021 at 8:59 AM, vodou said:

Is that a legit visceral reaction from an original comic art fan? Really? Can you at least give Artie Simek credit for the awesome lettering? Perhaps nostalgia influences me more then you Vodou. The art is always the most important factor I get that. Sucking or flat are not terms I would ever associate with the likes of Colan and Craig. I just think the way money is burned today on everything this one was a no brainer at the price. It's hard for me to say that as I think the "values" attached to today's art is really kindling doused by a full red gas can. I think its an awesome piece.

Just for the Don Heck of it, if the Tales of Suspense 39 complete " IRONMAN IS BORN" story were to come out of hiding today (presumably to auction) what do you maniacs think the final hammer price would be. Assume 20% BP. I can't help you if you have to pay sales tax in your state:(

Also, when this origin chapter page from IRONMAN 1 is relisted, what flip of the day price would you expect to see?

20 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Is that a legit visceral reaction from an original comic art fan? Really? Can you at least give Artie Simek credit for the awesome lettering? Perhaps nostalgia influences me more then you Vodou. The art is always the most important factor I get that. Sucking or flat are not terms I would ever associate with the likes of Colan and Craig. I just think the way money is burned today on everything this one was a no brainer at the price. It's hard for me to say that as I think the "values" attached to today's art is really kindling doused by a full red gas can. I think its an awesome piece.

It’s like a 6.5 outta 10. Had this been anything other than issue 1 page 1 it’s like a 10-14k page. 

a boring page from same issue sold a few months back for 2k with juice. On a cheapy garbage site like fleabay this price makes a lot of sense.

On 5/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, vodou said:

I agree - a bit underwhelming.  $32.7K - too much IMO

The fact that it came from a first issue no doubt had a hand in someone's bidding...

Edited by pemart1966

Hey guilty as charged. If I was a pure fine art lover only, nostalgia would mean less. Perhaps I’d go Thomas Crowne, but I’d probably snag a Basquiat and a Rembrandt for my man cave.

ok wait, Basquiat would be equal measure nostalgia and admiration for his unique talent.

Basquiat Ironman brush inked by Rembrandt. Now that would make an interesting splash.

Appreciate ya Vodou :hi: