• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gene Colan IRONMAN 1 ORIGIN original art sells for...

37 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, zhamlau said:

zhamlau: “(On) Fleabay this price makes a lot of sense.”

I’m with Lindor. It was a rat.

A cheese 🧀 eating 🐀 

#LFGM

564D16BF-C91F-49A3-B00C-5CE9276ADDA6.png.c9abe34cb00ddd72225afd0a8c42462e.png

Edited by grapeape

On 5/8/2021 at 9:21 PM, grapeape said:

zhamlau: “(On) Fleabay this price makes a lot of sense.”

I’m with Lindor. It was a rat.

A cheese 🧀 eating 🐀 

#LFGM

564D16BF-C91F-49A3-B00C-5CE9276ADDA6.png.c9abe34cb00ddd72225afd0a8c42462e.png

Him, Dom, and McNeil kinda been F'ng us so far this season but they appear to be turning it around.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:02 PM, grapeape said:

Ok where did everybody go?
Hey Alex what were those comic art links again?

I seriously thought the origin story of IRONMAN art would be interesting to talk about. Thank you to my four pals who chimed in.

Is it me or has participation with the threads fallen off the cliff? There’s very little energy here? 

I get the world is crazy right now. I’m just concerned. Is this “thing of ours” dying?

I don't think it's dying. Everyone has simply become more jaded, with both art and prices. What used to be considered special, isn't as much anymore. The bar has been raised significantly. There are also more outlets for discussion. 10 years ago, yes, this page showing up, and the resulting winning bid, would have generated multiple pages of chatter. Just not where we're at these days.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:
On 5/6/2021 at 3:02 PM, grapeape said:

Ok where did everybody go?
Hey Alex what were those comic art links again?

I seriously thought the origin story of IRONMAN art would be interesting to talk about. Thank you to my four pals who chimed in.

Is it me or has participation with the threads fallen off the cliff? There’s very little energy here? 

I get the world is crazy right now. I’m just concerned. Is this “thing of ours” dying?

I don't think it's dying. Everyone has simply become more jaded, with both art and prices. What used to be considered special, isn't as much anymore. The bar has been raised significantly. There are also more outlets for discussion. 10 years ago, yes, this page showing up, and the resulting winning bid, would have generated multiple pages of chatter. Just not where we're at these days.

I still like this forum and will continue to post here, but I think there are a lot more eyeballs and discussion over at some of the Facebook groups. Facebook has it's own problems, but there are a lot of options there in the private discussion groups which don't get bogged down with the politics and nonsense that the main Facebook page suffers from. And like Felix said, this Iron Man page get's a huge collective shrug for a lot of reasons. Things are a changing...

It's a nice page but other than it being from issue one doesn't really have much going for it if it was based solely on the art aspect.

It's also not technically a full title splash either when you think about it. It's page 26 not the page 1 title splash that we're use to so it might be better to call it a chapter splash since it was the second story that rehashedhis origin in the book. The art isn't a full splash either but partial one with the bottom half being panels. The top part of course is cool with the lettering of "Origin of Iron Man" and the Iron Man figure but that's all it has going for it which is why we see the price that we did.

Some good insights aside, it's easy for folks to play armchair general after the fact.  In this frothy market, the page goes for higher on HA -- hard to debate that reality regardless of the art's merits/pitfalls.

No one's saying this is the Pieta.  That was never good grape+ape's point in the first place.

17 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

...it's easy for folks to play armchair general after the fact.

And it was super easy to not even put a tracking bid in on this dud. Lovers...enjoy it. I ain't with ya :) 

Actually, the price seems high to me. It’s certainly not Colan’s finest composition (and I’m a big Colan fan, so it pains me to say anything remotely negative), the page is cluttered with speech balloons, and it’s not a true first page splash - or a splash of any kind. The two things it has going for it are the origin recap and that top left panel. Other than that, it’s a decent interior panel page.

But while we’re on the topic, what did the true first page splash from IM #1 last sell for? I know it was on CLink in 2016, but I don’t know the hammer price or if it has been relisted since then.

On 5/10/2021 at 5:59 PM, glendgold said:

I mean, honestly, of all the pages Gene drew at the time - of all the Iron Man pages he drew, even -- this is...ehhh.  It's fine. It's a bit static.  It's based on Don Heck's version, which is the definition of static, and it doesn't feel inspired.  I like the first panel and what it is (an origin page) is more valuable than the actual panels, which are pretty pedestrian. 

Is it worth that moolah? When I was 17 years old I was on a camping trip, walking along a valley floor on Santa Cruz Island, single file with my classmates, and I felt this revelation settling down on me, so I yelled out, "I just realized that money doesn't really exist!"  Ever since then I've been waiting for the world to catch up but it's been pretty lonely, to tell the truth. 

I posted my thoughts without first reading all of the other posts. I coulda saved my fingers and just posted a 1+. 

For original art, nothing comes close to HA for consistently realizing the highest prices on original art. I doubt that this really mattered to Sparkle City.  Assuming this was a consignment sale the $5-10k more the item would probably have sold for on HA would not have changed the ultimate take for SC very much. Which, based upon my experience with them, is their only concern. 

On 5/6/2021 at 8:40 PM, batman_fan said:

We won't know how good of a price it was until it either ends up on a dealers site or is auctioned on Heritage.

You are right about that my friend. Because it was on eBay makes me think we’ll see it for auction at HA or on a dealer site soon.

I missed on a Marshall Rogers cover a few years back on eBay. Guy called it a drawing and talked about stains on the back. It turned out that was just an extra back board and was actually a published cover.

I tried to buy it outright (it was only at $400 and going down the next day)but he took the cover down after being harassed that it was a fake. 

wound up in C-Link within 2 months and sold for just under $10K.

I got off track but I’ve seen eBay “steals”  go quickly to HA or CLINK and usually perform very well. I’m just really curious if this is a fan or a dealer. I understand some of these guys consider themselves both.

Now $32k + fees + (sales tax?) means another auction too quickly is risky no?

:popcorn:

8 hours ago, drewincanada said:

Actually, the price seems high to me. It’s certainly not Colan’s finest composition (and I’m a big Colan fan, so it pains me to say anything remotely negative), the page is cluttered with speech balloons, and it’s not a true first page splash - or a splash of any kind. The two things it has going for it are the origin recap and that top left panel. Other than that, it’s a decent interior panel page.

But while we’re on the topic, what did the true first page splash from IM #1 last sell for? I know it was on CLink in 2016, but I don’t know the hammer price or if it has been relisted since then.

I could swear it was about 30K. I thought it was low. Another member thought it was about right.