• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Guard says Market Bubble vs New Guard says Market Correction. What say you?
1 1

209 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Also don't discount how many comic books are leaving the USA for interntional buyers.  My eBay sales consisted of maybe 5% to Canada and Europe per year, now probably 20%!

You're seriously mentioning Canada? Yes, Canada is technically international for you, but we've always been a big part of the comics market.

Let me know when your sales to continents beginning with 'A' reach that level (especially Antarctica (:).

16 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Most of these new buyers don't read or actually care about comic books. They don't even know what they're buying, let alone why. Those of them who argue that the Census counts are so small certainly don't have the slightest :censored: clue about how much more is out there that hasn't yet made it's way to CGC. But I'm supposed to believe they're going to keep paying ever-increasing prices or even maintain current prices?

This is something I've been thinking about. 

Are these new buyers simply looking at the relative scarcity of comics and thinking this is a cool physical commodity to park some $$ in? If prices level off or decline, will they bail? 

Or are they a generation that's grown up watching Spiderman and Avengers movies and are fans buying things they love? 

I think in the next 6 months we'll all know allot more. 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

With dividend reinvestment? I doubt it. Anyway, over a broad range of books the stock market has way outperformed comics long and medium term. Some select books it may not have. Your blue chip marvel keys. Sure

I have to disagree.  Normal stock returns with what you are saying is about 10-12% over a decade as I am sure you probably know which is nice.  However, on my end if you gave me $10k to buy raw comics to get graded and $10k to invest into the stock market I will hand you back more profit with comics.  Point being I feel its easier to find comics to get graded than finding the next Amazon as of todays date.  If I only made 10-20% on my money from selling comics I would have had to get a real job again years ago.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

It's hard for me to take this guy seriously when he displays that ASM 252 like its an undervalued mega key.  Seriously have some better taste dude. 

Well doesn't that depend on how you look at it?  Technically it is a mega-copper key.  Obviously its not a mega-key compared to AF 15, but it is a well-established copper key book that always sells.  

Give me your idea of better taste?  Tell me something you have that you consider wasting better?  His taste is in the 1990's same era as I grew up.  He loves X-men, so for the people saying his is just a flipper that is incorrect.  He has said on numerous videos he is buying comics he loves (X-Men) for the long-term.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Most of these new buyers don't read or actually care about comic books. They don't even know what they're buying, let alone why. Those of them who argue that the Census counts are so small certainly don't have the slightest :censored: clue about how much more is out there that hasn't yet made it's way to CGC. But I'm supposed to believe they're going to keep paying ever-increasing prices or even maintain current prices?

yeah.  all I keep hearing from this guy is someone with barely enough knowledge about comics to pick which issues to jump on. While all he says MAY be true, that demand is sky high now, and 3500 9.8s is still scarce in the big picture (even though those of us in comics for decades know the opposite is true and how many more are out there etc) , bottom line for me is that 95% these guys will move on when they're done, and the 3500 copies will be way more than the market needs... and prices will go back down to whatever point the buyers decide is their value.   Yeah, its awesome that everyone is crashing our little party lately! We knew they would someday, or hoped anyway that lots of others would come to appreciate our little fixation on funny books ---  but I sincerely doubt their stickiness to the hobby.  Many of these same guys came knocking in the 90s buying the books that "would go up!"  They were gone in a few years after the glut.  At least this time they're speculating on actual "vintage" modern key books not current newsstand issues.  

Just now, Aman619 said:

hope so.  or Ill finally throw out my long box of Wizards issues  (and the rest of the magazines from back then) !  weighs a ton.

Honestly, I am seeing more LCS selling back issues of Wizard over cover price now.  They did have some cool covers!

18 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Well doesn't that depend on how you look at it?  Technically it is a mega-copper key.  Obviously its not a mega-key compared to AF 15, but it is a well-established copper key book that always sells.  

Give me your idea of better taste?  Tell me something you have that you consider wasting better?  His taste is in the 1990's same era as I grew up.  He loves X-men, so for the people saying his is just a flipper that is incorrect.  He has said on numerous videos he is buying comics he loves (X-Men) for the long-term.

It's a key but not as great as he is pumping it to be.   I would much rather recommend  a lower graded  asm 300 or  a 361. Both first appearance of popular characters.

btw, do you know this guy?

10 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

It's a key but not as great as he is pumping it to be.   I would much rather recommend  a lower graded  asm 300 or  a 361. Both first appearance of popular characters.

btw, do you know this guy?

No, but it is nice to have an outsider's opinion.  IMO he raises a lot of good points, especially his take on CGC census.  I have completely changed my viewpoint on that during covid due to his and others take on it.

I always considered ASM #361 to be a $20 book even now since I bought it off the newsstand as kid, same with Batman Adventures #12 so for me I would rather have the ASM #252 over #361 just because personal preference.  I also view the black costume as very important to the Spider-Man character over Carnage who is just another Venom knockoff in my eyes. I just think calling his taste bad unfair, I mean its not like the book isn't important in comic history etc.  He is buying what he enjoys so none of can say he is coming into the hobby for the quick flip is my point you know?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

10 hours ago, the blob said:

With dividend reinvestment? I doubt it. Anyway, over a broad range of books the stock market has way outperformed comics long and medium term. Some select books it may not have. Your blue chip marvel keys. Sure

I say this because folks here have, indeed, analyzed some blue chip books vs. the S&P 500, and while a few books did better, a decent number did not. i don't know where the thread is.

the power of compounded returns, with dividend reinvestment, is yuuuge