• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Guard says Market Bubble vs New Guard says Market Correction. What say you?
1 1

209 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2021 at 10:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I have to disagree.  Normal stock returns with what you are saying is about 10-12% over a decade as I am sure you probably know which is nice.  However, on my end if you gave me $10k to buy raw comics to get graded and $10k to invest into the stock market I will hand you back more profit with comics.  Point being I feel its easier to find comics to get graded than finding the next Amazon as of todays date.  If I only made 10-20% on my money from selling comics I would have had to get a real job again years ago.  

I think you are missing the point of dollar cost averaging and compounded interest over time. Add a Roth and you have no taxation with that type of return. 

Comics can be a part of a retirement portfolio, but only a fool would make it even close to a majority.

You really seem to forget that you are dealing with highly educated boardies here with degrees in everything 
including investment. 

Edited by fastballspecial

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I think you are missing the point of dollar cost averaging and compounded interest over time. Add a Roth and you have no taxation with that type of return. 

Comics can be a part of a retirement portfolio, but only a fool would make it even close to a majority.

You really seem to forget that you are dealing with highly educated boardies here with degrees in everything 
including investment. 

Of course as I said earlier there are many boardies here who are very highly educated, and have degrees in business.  Myself I have degrees in these fields.  However, nothing in any of my finance and economics class taught me how one share of Apple today will net me more than buying a similar priced comic book I see in a future CGC case valued at 5-10 times what I paid for it and selling it a couple months later in a plastic case.

I like Roth, however most can only put in is 6k per year.  Thats not much. (shrug)  I max mine out every year and it does well, but again not well enough to set my world on fire.

To your other point I know many as you say fools who never invested much in the markets and just bought their 2nd home from selling and paid off school loans because of comic books.  Obviously compounded interest is great tool for long-term investing, but not from April 2021 to June 2021 for a 100%+ plus return. 

How do you think my stock portfolio and IRA was built?  It wasn't from working a corporate 9-5 I can assure you that.  I used compounded free comic book money to buy FREE Apple Stock, and Exxon Mobil during Covid for just my latest example.   I dont know man unless you are Investment Banker, not sure how a retail investor is doing better than if they took that same money and just bought key CGC books over the last 10-15 years.  So if you can find me a new stock that for every dollar I spend I can get back 5-10 times my money in less than a month I am all ears.  I am also taking about past performance so far which obviously can change in the future which is why I was started this thread talking about comics though not stocks.

Either way this conversation has nothing to do with the main topic of this thread.  This thread is about comic books only. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

So you are going to retire on comics then? 

No, it's a business right now. 

I pretty much retired at age 29, been 10 years since I quit my terrible day job.  Making your own schedule is true freedom! 

Probably wont ever retire, my parents retired they are bored lol 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

13 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I pretty much retired at age 29, been 10 years since I quit my terrible day job.  Making your own schedule is true freedom! 

Your not really talking about investing.  Your talking about running a business. Securing a product at one price and selling it for a higher price. 

A more accurate comparison would be, buying an SP500 index fund for $10k and X-Men 1 for $10k and comparing which goes up in value more over 1 year, 5 years and 10 years. 

Honestly, I never considered comics an investment. Investing was investing, comics were a fun hobby.  Prices have now gotten to a point where it's impossible to ignore their value.

The collector in me is really disappointed. Some books I've always planned on owning are just out of reach suddenly (FF5). And other books that  I figured I could get any time, like ASM50, now require significant investment.

While it's fun to watch books in your collection hit unbelievable prices, I'm a bit put off by this run up.... But hey, it's made me shift my collecting to other, less popular genres that I'm enjoying. 

35 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Your not really talking about investing.  Your talking about running a business. Securing a product at one price and selling it for a higher price. 

A more accurate comparison would be, buying an SP500 index fund for $10k and X-Men 1 for $10k and comparing which goes up in value more over 1 year, 5 years and 10 years. 

Honestly, I never considered comics an investment. Investing was investing, comics were a fun hobby.  Prices have now gotten to a point where it's impossible to ignore their value.

The collector in me is really disappointed. Some books I've always planned on owning are just out of reach suddenly (FF5). And other books that  I figured I could get any time, like ASM50, now require significant investment.

While it's fun to watch books in your collection hit unbelievable prices, I'm a bit put off by this run up.... But hey, it's made me shift my collecting to other, less popular genres that I'm enjoying. 

Yes I know, I did that before.   Comparing Apple stock to ASM 300's over a given time period.  You are coming in mid-conversation.

I've got to state for the record that this thread has been completely fascinating and informative to me in an educational way and I'd like to thank my fellow members here for elaborating on these areas I am woefully uneducated in. I'm learning a lot and appreciating the discourse. Also, one of you guys should invest in my band. Thanks! 

P.S.- Is anyone here going to Baltimore in October?

One thing going against comic books is... volume... sure you can take a $3 dollar book from Wednesday warrioring and flip it when it's a $20 book (500% return).. but how many books do you have to ship in order to make your first $100 dollar in profit? Factoring not just the cost of the book but shipping cost, fees and also your time... it's a lot of work to make few dollars on books... and also consider that when you buy a book you're taking a chance that the book could also go cold... (i.e. just like stocks you can't always pick winners)

With slabs I can see where it can work because if you have the ability to spot and buy ungraded books raw and you know in some cases.. you can buy an ungraded book for less than 1/10th of the cost of a 9.8 CGC slab then you can make some decent money...

Investing is just that.. you go where the highest chance of profit is... (my brother turned 8k investment into 55k in two months on crypto)... diversifying is always the safe bet...

3 minutes ago, Kantankerous said:

One thing going against comic books is... volume... sure you can take a $3 dollar book from Wednesday warrioring and flip it when it's a $20 book (500% return).. but how many books do you have to ship in order to make your first $100 dollar in profit? Factoring not just the cost of the book but shipping cost, fees and also your time... it's a lot of work to make few dollars on books... and also consider that when you buy a book you're taking a chance that the book could also go cold... (i.e. just like stocks you can't always pick winners)

With slabs I can see where it can work because if you have the ability to spot and buy ungraded books raw and you know in some cases.. you can buy an ungraded book for less than 1/10th of the cost of a 9.8 CGC slab then you can make some decent money...

Investing is just that.. you go where the highest chance of profit is... (my brother turned 8k investment into 55k in two months on crypto)... diversifying is always the safe bet...

dogecoin has made millionares....

On 5/7/2021 at 10:51 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Becoming a comics dealer isn't retiring. It is a different job. Maybe a more fun one. Do you press your own books?