• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do 9.8 prices drive lower grade prices?
4 4

19 posts in this topic

Given the volatility and craziness surrounding prices in the 9.8 tier lately, I’m interested in the group’s take on the following: do 9.8 prices drive prices in lower grades? Or is 9.8 such “rarefied air” that it’s totally insulated from say, 5.0 to 7.0 pricing?

I think 9.8's only drive prices on older key books.  Those books have long standing value and form the foundation of comic collecting. They also tend to be very expensive and 9.8's are unobtainable for the average collector, so those collectors who want those books and are driven to them because of price and availability.  Thus they do drive prices. With most modern books, people are only submitting for and going for 9.8's when they get them graded.  You have a very skewed census due to this, and really only the 9.8's have value. In those books, it is only the high grade that have value, so they do not drive prices.

4 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

My take on it is there are two types of 9.8s - there are the 9.8s of big books that everyone wants to own. They drive prices of lower grades because people are drawn to the lower grades as they get priced out of a 9.8, or because they don't necessarily chase 9.8s but want to own a key book.

Then there are 9.8s that are niche - someone wants to own a 9.8 run or set, but the book or usually the specific issue has little overall mass appeal. An example off the top of my head is some G.I. Joe issues. You'll see 9.8 prices in the high hundreds or even low thousands sometimes, and then a 9.6 is like $75. Those books don't usually trickle down value as far, if at all. Again, this is just my 2 cents based on observation.

I second all of this.  

11 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Then there are 9.8s that are niche - someone wants to own a 9.8 run or set, but the book or usually the specific issue has little overall mass appeal. An example off the top of my head is some G.I. Joe issues. You'll see 9.8 prices in the high hundreds or even low thousands sometimes, and then a 9.6 is like $75. Those books don't usually trickle down value as far, if at all. Again, this is just my 2 cents based on observation.

+1

54 minutes ago, MB1952 said:

CGC 9.6 is the new 9.8 

price difference so wide. picked up so many 9.6 key spidey's now double in value and climbing. 

some cgc 9.6 are better looking them some 9.8

I've been buying 9.6's for the personal collection lately. Some very good deals, depending on what you're looking for. But with the stuff i'm personally picking it up, it feels like the 9.6's are gaining steam a stack well. It's about time, a lot of beautiful books sitting in 9.6 cases out there.

5 hours ago, MB1952 said:

CGC 9.6 is the new 9.8 

price difference so wide. picked up so many 9.6 key spidey's now double in value and climbing. 

some cgc 9.6 are better looking them some 9.8

yep CGC 9.6 is the way to go

the most commonly collected grade in the classic coin hobby is "fine"

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I've been buying 9.6's for the personal collection lately. Some very good deals, depending on what you're looking for. But with the stuff i'm personally picking it up, it feels like the 9.6's are gaining steam a stack well. It's about time, a lot of beautiful books sitting in 9.6 cases out there.

If someone could please do an analysis of the trends on 100 or so books and whether gains in 9.6 have matched 9.8 gains i would love to see it. It does "feel" like the 9.8s have popped more, but that is totally anecdotal.

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

If someone could please do an analysis of the trends on 100 or so books and whether gains in 9.6 have matched 9.8 gains i would love to see it. It does "feel" like the 9.8s have popped more, but that is totally anecdotal.

Yes, exactly, I can only speak for the specific things I'm watching.

10 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, exactly, I can only speak for the specific things I'm watching.

the guy who finds the shill bidding should do this. he is very methodical. anyone but me.

yeah, i definitely feel tempted on some of the 9.6 books. i might be able to afford my goon 1 in 9.6, although 9.4 is more realistic. and at 9.4 you do sometimes get some books that have issues.

22 minutes ago, the blob said:

the guy who finds the shill bidding should do this. he is very methodical. anyone but me.

yeah, i definitely feel tempted on some of the 9.6 books. i might be able to afford my goon 1 in 9.6, although 9.4 is more realistic. and at 9.4 you do sometimes get some books that have issues.

Yes, with 9.4's it's definitely a case by case basis, and the flaws tend to be more pronounced. Some flaws bother me more than others. I hate spine dings, but corners being a little soft is not a dealbreaker for me. Some books I'd pass on at 9.4, and others I'd be delighted to have, just because the nosebleed grades have gotten so far out of my comfort zone.

9.8s for many of the things I'm chasing have gotten prohibitively expensive, especially in the current market. I'm not buying ANY real "investment grade" 9.8's right now, at least not for a while. But I've managed to find a few things in 9.6 that were 1/2 or 1/3 of the price of the 9.8's, and to the naked eye, look pretty amazing. But, again, this is just stuff for my personal collection, and a lot of the stuff I like is pretty far off of the radar of what is hot these days.

22 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, with 9.4's it's definitely a case by case basis, and the flaws tend to be more pronounced. Some flaws bother me more than others. I hate spine dings, but corners being a little soft is not a dealbreaker for me. Some books I'd pass on at 9.4, and others I'd be delighted to have, just because the nosebleed grades have gotten so far out of my comfort zone.

9.8s for many of the things I'm chasing have gotten prohibitively expensive, especially in the current market. I'm not buying ANY real "investment grade" 9.8's right now, at least not for a while. But I've managed to find a few things in 9.6 that were 1/2 or 1/3 of the price of the 9.8's, and to the naked eye, look pretty amazing. But, again, this is just stuff for my personal collection, and a lot of the stuff I like is pretty far off of the radar of what is hot these days.

When you can buy 3 9.6s for the same price as a 9.8, it seems crazy to buy the 9.8 even if you can afford it.

Buy 3 copies in 9.6 instead .2c

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Overall feel there is the rising of all boats on many keys and some non-keys. Before when I submitted a bunch for grading, I was happy when I got a 9.8 or two from the bunch before embracing pressing. I feel with some prices for 9.8 going beyond many people's reach, 9.6 is gaining. 9.2 is what I see Overstreet max at so always feel 9.4 is the red headed stepchild of higher grades.