• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny X-MEN #1 (1963)
4 4

26 posts in this topic

I found this in my father in-law's childhood collection.  There are many other comics to post-- but this one I think is the most interesting.

Details:
I searched through the box several times-- the missing half of the cover is gone.
Overall, the book is complete and holding up pretty well-- with the worst part along the spine.
The back cover is in decent shape and similar to the front cover.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I'm trying not to handle the comic too much and I guess that the front cover will likely drive the rating anyways.

A few more questions:
Is it worth my time/money to get this properly graded?
I assume it will be a low rating-- but at least it will protect and preserve what I have.  Does the grading add to the value?

How much is this going to cost me to get graded?
If I understand the CGC pricing, rates are determined by comic value.  How on earth am I to determine value on this comic for grading?

Should I look into pressing and/or other techniques to improve the condition?
I've read the other posts about pressing-- and perhaps it could help with this comic.  But once again, I'm guessing that price will primarily be driven by the front cover-- and pressing probably won't improve condition (from a collectibility perspective).

thanks so much for everyone's help... I'm happy to post more pictures if you think it will help-- i'm just limiting my "hands-on time" with the book.

ly89jo5vzyw61.jpg

15 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I wish my father in law had anything this worthwhile.

He has a collection of VHS recordings of his favorite tv shows that he is leaving to his kids.:flamed:

Haha-- too funny.  I wouldn't be a very good son in-law to frame it and keep it (or sell it). I may get it graded for him and return it.  Maybe someday my wife will inherit it again....

I would send it in to be cleaned, pressed and graded by CGC.  A press is going to help what’s left of the cover a lot.  This is a $5000 book, so they will charge 3%, plus fees and shipping.  $200 to get this pressed and slabbed is well worth it.   People normally are paying 10-20% to slab something, so slabbing a $5000 book is a no brainer.  Even if it gets a 0.5 grade people are going to value this one based on the actual damage, which I think is better than a 0.5 that is molded and such.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback!

Forgive me for another question as I try to wrap my head around this... but what's the relationship between a comics valuation and its desirability?  Just because this comic might have a book value of $5000 (or pick any value you choose), does that mean I'll find a buyer at that price with some of the best parts missing (title, issue number, date, publisher)?  I ask because I'm hesitant to spend $200+ to rate a comic that no one wants.  I'm sure I can find a much more affordable way to protect and preserve it.

Edited by kcma

1 hour ago, kcma said:

Forgive me for another question as I try to wrap my head around this... but what's the relationship between a comics valuation and its desirability?  Just because this comic might have a book value of $5000 (or pick any value you choose), does that mean I'll find a buyer at that price with some of the best parts missing (title, issue number, date, publisher)?  I ask because I'm hesitant to spend $200+ to rate a comic that no one wants.  I'm sure I can find a much more affordable way to protect and preserve it.

I would give it a .5 and maybe you need to do some research on ebay and other sites for desirability and finding another way to preserve it just go with CGC.

I would spend the money get it graded and pressed and sell it for $ 4500.00 or $ 5000.00

Just like this guy did  https://www.ebay.com/itm/114764447350?hash=item1ab87e7e76:g:z7EAAOSwGAhgOsHi

3 hours ago, kcma said:

I wouldn’t worry about desirability at all.  Comics are extremely hot right now, and exquisite keys are even hotter.  I would sell this on a forum like this one or maybe even facebook market.  You’ll avoid the seller fees which I think are 11.5% on ebay.   I bet if you list your book right now as is, you can get offers within 24 hours in the 4000 range.  Maybe that’s best if you don’t want to go through the rigmarole to get 5000-6000.

22 hours ago, kcma said:

It’s decided.. I’m sending it in for a press and rating.  Thanks everyone for the feedback. What a great community!

Question:    I have a couple books I may want to get pressed too.    Do you recommend CGC's service for this?   Or other comic book pressing companies?   

2 hours ago, Cherokeez said:

Question:    I have a couple books I may want to get pressed too.    Do you recommend CGC's service for this?   Or other comic book pressing companies?   

This will be my first. I’m planning to use CGC for the convenience. Using them will also save me money in shipping costs— USPS insurance for $5000 is about $75. 

Edited by kcma

13 hours ago, Cherokeez said:

11 hours ago, kcma said:

This will be my first. I’m planning to use CGC for the convenience. Using them will also save me money in shipping costs— USPS insurance for $5000 is about $75. 

There are others I would use. 

For this particular book, it won't matter much. Because of the missing pieces it's not going to influence the grade, only the presentability. 

PM and I can make some recommendations.