• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you call a book with a dinged corner NM?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Thanks for reading.

If the book looks otherwise perfect but the bottom corner of the binding side is dinged... would that be considered NM?

the color isn't affected in any way...just a small bend to the corner.

I've seen an Avengers 92, 9.4 slab, with brilliant colour strike and looking fresh from the newsstand, graded as that with a very obvious, prominent, top right corner crunch.

So, quite possible.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Dr. Dank said:

I'd call it whatever I want

What CGC or other 3rd party graders think is something else

Okay.

If you're buying a raw book that is described as NM and it ends up having a small corner bend...would you be cool with that?

Just now, lostboys said:

Okay.

If you're buying a raw book that is described as NM and it ends up having a small corner bend...would you be cool with that?

No

35 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've seen an Avengers 92, 9.4 slab, with brilliant colour strike and looking fresh from the newsstand, graded as that with a very obvious, prominent, top right corner crunch.

So, quite possible.

Agreed!

Pics have been posted here of books CGC graded as 9+ that have such dings.

But the OP should show a pic of the size of the defect for comparison.

It depends on the size of the ding and exactly what it is. Isn't something smaller than 1/16th of an inch generally just considered manufacturing and disregarded if it's a small bindery tear? But yeah if everything else is sharp then a small bindery issue wouldn't keep it from being NM if it's small enough...

6 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Not sure what you would call this but believe it or not both 9.8

B2B4F327-A677-4ADC-B277-6143A64F6925.jpeg

15F1F17F-1E39-468C-82C2-4EF6C60895D3.jpeg

The Avengers 92 9.4 I mentioned had a very obvious, rippled corner crush in this location, far worse than that.

Not a 9.8, not noticeably colour-breaking, but still fugly for a NM 9.4 on an otherwise amazing-looking book.

One of my favourite Adams covers, and memorable for that reason.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Not sure what you would call this but believe it or not both 9.8

B2B4F327-A677-4ADC-B277-6143A64F6925.jpeg

15F1F17F-1E39-468C-82C2-4EF6C60895D3.jpeg

That's a perfect example of what I'm asking.

It was more a general question and not about a specific book I own.

So...take a ding that size, move it to a corner on the other side of the book and call it a bend because it would affect every page.

I think it really depends on the overall condition of the book. If the book is otherwise flat, sharp, and free of defects, and a tiny ding is the only issue, then probably, yes. 9.4 at least, which is really "near mint". I'm surprised to see the 9.8's with those issues, though. I know 9.8's aren't "perfect", but a really obvious crunch like these would definitely knock it out of NM/Mint or NM+ territory if i were personally listing the book.

Also, I've had 9.6's that looked absolutely flawless, and 9.8s that had dings all down the spine. It's worth remembering that CGC grading has never been consistent, sometimes it is loose, sometimes it is tight, so the grade can also depend heavily on the date/timeframe it was graded within.

7 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Also, I've had 9.6's that looked absolutely flawless, and 9.8s that had dings all down the spine. It's worth remembering that CGC grading has never been consistent, sometimes it is loose, sometimes it is tight, so the grade can also depend heavily on the date/timeframe it was graded within.

Had a Aliens 1 9.6 with multiple spine ticks, had another that I'd call flawless 

My 9.8 has a couple of ticks

Edited by Dr. Dank