• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I regrade?

8 posts in this topic

Got a book back recently graded at CGC 9.0 with these notes...

Grader Notes:
small bend top of back cover
small, light stain left top of back cover

The stain is so light I missed it.  The bend is questionable.  It may or may not press out so I don't want to count on that.  But the bend alone would probably only bump it from 9.8 to 9.6.   I am just unfamiliar with how the stain removal works.

So, the questions...

1. Will press/clean service remove the very light small stain?
2. Do I send the book back in existing case or do I need to jailbreak it and resend it raw?
3. If the clean removes the stain, does it still come back blue label or as green label?

Sorry if this sounds basic.  I've been collecting and grading for decades, but only out of my personal collection and I've never resubmitted or had to deal with cleaning issues before, only light bends/creases.  

Edited by mcduckz

Here are some pics.  The stain was so faint without flash, I took a second pic with flash just so you can see it better.  It is that very light discoloration at the corner.

20210506_153950.jpg

20210506_153956.jpg

Edited by mcduckz

Stain looks like it’s been absorbed into the paper and not surface dirt so odds of a dry clean removing it are slim. As for the bend, if it breaks color a press won’t help but even if the book could be improved, I don’t think the bump would be significant enough for a resub 

2 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Stain looks like it’s been absorbed into the paper and not surface dirt so odds of a dry clean removing it are slim. As for the bend, if it breaks color a press won’t help but even if the book could be improved, I don’t think the bump would be significant enough for a resub 

Thanks for the input.  The stain was what I was wondering about.  Upon second look, I think the bend would come out as it is on the top white edge of the back cover.  no color break, crease or tear.  Question now is how much would that small stain hinder the grade.  Minus these two defects it would easily be a 9.8.  Right now it is 9.0.  I feel like the stain is really dragging it down but am not too familiar with how much that typically affects the grade.

As is, I'm leaning toward not regrading.  Was mostly considering it because I have a second group I'm prepping for submission now and it would be easy to include.

Edited by mcduckz

21 hours ago, mcduckz said:

Thanks for the input.  The stain was what I was wondering about.  Upon second look, I think the bend would come out as it is on the top white edge of the back cover.  no color break, crease or tear.  Question now is how much would that small stain hinder the grade.  Minus these two defects it would easily be a 9.8.  Right now it is 9.0.  I feel like the stain is really dragging it down but am not too familiar with how much that typically affects the grade.

As is, I'm leaning toward not regrading.  Was mostly considering it because I have a second group I'm prepping for submission now and it would be easy to include.

Don’t assume that because it’s on a white part of the book means it doesn’t break color. When inspected closely, there may be a loss of gloss in that white spot that would be looked at as a loss of “color”. It may be hard to see through the slab and inner chamber because of the glare produced by the clear plastics.