• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original pencil vs inked and colored final

29 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Varanis said:

Congrats @aka_RAMSES! That's a really great piece from a really fantastic book. It's actually not uncommon for artists to do prelims like that. I know I see Daniel Warren Johnson do something very similar, although his prelims are usually traditional.

In this case, the traditional pencils are definitely part of the publishing process. It may have been easier for the artist to either skip tight pencils or do the pencils digital only, but it's pretty evident based on the images that the traditional pencils were used for the final piece.

One thing possibly worth pointing out is that colors are digital 99% of the time. The only common colored pieces are paintings - and in those cases, the painting is essentially always the most desirable piece regardless of what else exists. Almost always the only consideration around colors is to ask if the final piece is a painting. If it's not, colors are pretty much guaranteed to be digital and a moot point.

Thanks!  I’m thrilled with it, though I would have liked for it to be inked traditionally as well.  Just my preference.  The artist actually said they have inked traditionally in the past but usually ended up scanning that and doing it digital as well so now they just skip that part and do it all digitally.  Also, I do realize most color is done digitally.  It just seems like a huge process when all of it could be done on paper and then scanned to color. 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 hours ago, aka_RAMSES said:

Just going by what the artist told me and showed me with the panel that was blown up and light boxed.  That digital panel looked quite different to me and the pencil spot on for the most part to the published piece.  I’m happy with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The most important thing is you like it, unless you bought it with the intention to flip or sell it. Similarly, I know another artist who will recreate a digital published work in original pencil, and mark it as a 1 of 1 copy. I also have a piece which I had thought was the original published version— until a version by a different artist showed up on Heritage. Your piece is nice, and ultimately, that’s all you need.

To add to the painting VS pencils part of the topic, Greg Hildebrandt does the same. He'll pencil out the piece on paper but paint over a canvas. I bought a true pencil prelim of a cover from him on Ebay not long ago, but he was also selling the finished pencil piece. The final, published painting, however, was not done over the original pencils. I believe it mentioned in the auction that the pencil image was transferred to the canvas (copied somehow, I guess?), which he then painted over.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

This is pretty much how everyone that knows how to paint does it.

That may be true for fantasy artists, but there are plenty of artists who work from life, whether figure, landscape, or still life, and create their final art on one surface, applying finishes directly over any preliminary drawing.  David

74a7d070-6cfc-4392-83ee-f4cf37a8536b.jpg

11 hours ago, aokartman said:

That may be true for fantasy artists, but there are plenty of artists who work from life, whether figure, landscape, or still life, and create their final art on one surface, applying finishes directly over any preliminary drawing.  David

74a7d070-6cfc-4392-83ee-f4cf37a8536b.jpg

Very nice. Your wife's work, I assume?

21 hours ago, aokartman said:

That may be true for fantasy artists, but there are plenty of artists who work from life, whether figure, landscape, or still life, and create their final art on one surface, applying finishes directly over any preliminary drawing.

There will always be exceptions, my experience it's the exception here is in great minority. Other than your wife, your experience?

13 minutes ago, vodou said:

There will always be exceptions, my experience it's the exception here is in great minority. Other than your wife, your experience?

I will suggest that, in the art world, exceptions are pretty much standard with no two artists necessarily creating in the exact same manner.  Which is why I responded to your blanket statement about "pretty much how everyone" remark.  I know of an artist, well-known, who created hundreds of likenesses of the Beatles for an illustrated book before he was satisfied.  An example of a different way to operate.  I did a similar exercise when I was tasked with drawing a ten-speed bicycle for an art school application.

A further example of executing start to finish from life would be the entire school of "plein air" landscape painting.

Thanks for letting me explain, I appreciate it!  David