• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off-White to White vs. White?

8 posts in this topic

Been trying to pick up a couple of 9.8 Slabs from both ComicLink and eBay and I have noticed a difference in  interest for the books depending on this distinction. It seems trivial to me so I am curious, is it really that big of a deal to the books value? 

Depends on what era you collect...

If you are talking about Modern/Copper/Bronze Age books, then it does make a pretty big deal. Why pay the 9.8 premium for a book that doesn't have exemplary page quality?

There are Silver Age collectors who only buy white page books and often pay a premium for them.

Also remember that the Page Quality is somewhat subjective - seen books that have been resubmitted have their PQ changed (up and down!)

It's up to each individual to determine how much value they put on this, but given 2 books of identical grade (and cut), the one with the better PQ typically sells for more.

-bc

I mean, I know there are some die hard 9.8 guys who want the white pages...they want it to be as new as new can be.

But I would call that a very small fraction of the population. I would be more than fine with one of my books coming back 9.8 with off-white to white  pages. Reason being I have seen enough instances where books have been submitted and resubmitted and the page quality changes. So clearly, the whiteness barometer that CGC uses varies from grader to grader (or at least their view of what is white changes). Meaning, I think there are plenty of great off-white to white books out there that when compared to ones labelled "white pages" (not that you could because they are slabbed but if you did) I think are just as white. 

But again, those who are die hard 9.8 white pagers want CGC's word on that and will pay a premium for it. 

All things equal why wouldn't you choose white pages. I have sold cream pages for top dollar so it might eliminate some buyers but page quality doesn't matter much for price. Just don't have brittle or something and don't have the same book same grade in same auction vs a white page. 

I always thought the fixation on "white" pages for a comic book that was sealed in plastic and therefore said "white" pages were never going to be seen, was a bit silly.  It's like, I guess if it makes you happy "knowing" that those are white pages in there and you really got the best...?  Really, the cover is all that matters when it's sealed up anyway.  

Makes much more sense for the people who plan to crack the book out of the case (which is a whole other thing I don't understand, but, whatever).  

Some people collect comic books, and not comic book covers.  To such people, the entire book matters, including the quality of the interior pages.  Beyond that, while you can still see the front and back covers of comics encased in CGC slabs, you can't see them as well as when they're inside of mylar bags and not nearly as well as when they're in your hands.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:51 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I mean, I know there are some die hard 9.8 guys who want the white pages...they want it to be as new as new can be.

But I would call that a very small fraction of the population. I would be more than fine with one of my books coming back 9.8 with off-white to white  pages. Reason being I have seen enough instances where books have been submitted and resubmitted and the page quality changes.

That's no different than the numerical grade.  In my experience, there's at least as much wobble, if not even more, on the structural grades than there is on the page quality designations.  Like many, for every comic I've submitted to CGC I've guessed what grade and page quality designation they'll receive.  And overall it's far easier to hit page quality than it is the structural grade.