• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Issues Worth Collecting?

21 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Are there any new issues/releases worth collecting, or is there more value in collecting vintage/older comics?

I imagine your asking if the new stuff will have a future market and be valuable one day? 

Yes, I'm sure some books will. Especially if a character really takes off. And the print runs are relativly small on comics these days so there is the potential for some to really go up. Look at UF4.

Will they be worth more than the old stuff? Who knows? Probably not? 

I would say, buy what you like. If your interested in new stuff get it, read it, enjoy it and take care of it. If it goes nowhere you didn't pay a ton for it. 

If your only interested from an investment standpoint, save up and buy blue chip super hero keys. 

There's a glut of modern horror comics coming out. Something is Killing the Children, Ice Cream Man, etc... If you like those kinds of books, not only are they a fun read, but there's a potential for explosive growth. For some reason a lot of them seem to be taking off.

Of course, that could be totally short lived and they could be worth nothing in a year. Like KCO said, if you want a true investment, blue chip SA Marvel keys are probably your huckleberry.

This question is probably too vague.

But in the interest of promoting the economy, if you buy one of each new comic every month at your local comic book store, you will for sure get the comics that are best new investments.  

8 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Are there any new issues/releases worth collecting, or is there more value in collecting vintage/older comics?

"Worth collecting" is entirely subjective. If you love comics, then aren't they all "worth collecting"?

To answer your question for what it actually is (What's new that I can buy cheap now and sell high later), no one knows for sure.

To answer the latter part of your question: Currently there is more value in older/vintage comics.

9 hours ago, Justin P. said:

"worth" and "value" are completely subjective.  I might find "worth" in collecting every issue of My Little Pony, but I won't find "value" there.

I just bought/won an Ultimate Fallout #4 CGC 9.8 on eBay(first appearance of Miles Morales). I bought it because of recommendations on this board. I had never even heard of it prior to 2 weeks ago. But because of the success of the Spider-Verse movie and the potential of it accruing value, especially if they introduce the character in the MCU, I felt it was worth the investment. 

It is the introduction of a new character. It makes Spider-man a teenager again which, IMHO, were the best story lines in The Amazing Spiderman.

It appeals to a growing demographic that has been, with a couple of exceptions, mostly ignored.

One year ago I failed to buy an Amazing Spiderman 300 SS 9.8 because the price tag of $2,500 was to pricey. That is now, very soon, going to be a >$10,000 book. 

There are books that are worth acquiring that are still affordable(subjective opinion of course) if you do some looking around and follow trends. As certain issues get out of price reach for the average schlub, collectors are looking at other issues. For example, now that ASM 300 is unaffordable for most people I see that ASM 316 is now increasing in demand. It is not Venom's first appearance but it is his first cover. Will it ever have the value of 300? Nope. But it has growth potential. I would even consider acquiring other #1's. Like Web of Spider-man, Spider-man or Spider-man 2099. 

Of those three I would recommend Spider-man 2099 #1. Despite it being a short run, I thought it was damn good story. The character is Hispanic and if he makes an appearance in the MCU, I believe its value will really take off. 

When I saw the trend on ASM 300 I bought ASM 361(first Carnage) because he is going to be the antagonist in the next Venom movie. That book has tripled in value in a year. It is still affordable(subjective opinion).

Edited by Greatwhite

6 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

There are books that are worth acquiring that are still affordable(subjective opinion of course) if you do some looking around and follow trends. As certain issues get out of price reach for the average schlub, collectors are looking at other issues. For example, now that ASM 300 is unaffordable for most people I see that ASM 316 is now increasing in demand. It is not Venom's first appearance but it is his first cover. Will it ever have the value of 300? Nope. But it has growth potential. I would even consider acquiring other #1's. Like Web of Spider-man, Spider-man or Spider-man 2099. 

Following trends isn't why you should be buying books.  A books value should be based on the underlying factors that are the cause for an uptick in demand.  Example, you don't buy AAPL because it's been going up the last 3 years.  You buy it because of its existing and future product slate, strong consistent user base, potential for further advancements, cash, and other such metrics.  ASM 316 is popular due to a classic cover, but I imagine a few people would see the $300 price tag and balk at it.  On the flipside, ASM 299 is a 1st appearance which to me is a stronger technical measurement for potential future growth.  There are other examples where the 1st FULL appearance of characters get out of range and the market shifts towards other key 1st (or 2nd) appearances in order to have some quality key, even if it's not THE key.  (ie Incredible Hulk 181 vs 180.  Fantastic Four 48 vs 49.)  Sure, it's possible that 316 goes the Silver Surfer 4 route and gains/holds value on the strength of a classic cover, but I'd much rather put my eggs in 299 long term.

But the bottom line is this, past growth isn't a predictor of future growth.  "What a book has done", is less important than "why has it done it".

Buy what you enjoy in new titles then bag n board. If it happens to become hot then great, if not does it matter if you enjoy it ?

I collect in two ways. 

I continue to complete my run of ASM from 1 - 350. It’s my favourite book and The main issues are only going one way, 

I buy new titles based around Venom / Carnage as I’ve always lived that since I was a kid buying it when they were first introduced. Not bothered if they don’t rocket in price, I just enjoy them. 

Edited by The lips

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Following trends isn't why you should be buying books.  A books value should be based on the underlying factors that are the cause for an uptick in demand.  Example, you don't buy AAPL because it's been going up the last 3 years.  You buy it because of its existing and future product slate, strong consistent user base, potential for further advancements, cash, and other such metrics.  ASM 316 is popular due to a classic cover, but I imagine a few people would see the $300 price tag and balk at it.  On the flipside, ASM 299 is a 1st appearance which to me is a stronger technical measurement for potential future growth.  There are other examples where the 1st FULL appearance of characters get out of range and the market shifts towards other key 1st (or 2nd) appearances in order to have some quality key, even if it's not THE key.  (ie Incredible Hulk 181 vs 180.  Fantastic Four 48 vs 49.)  Sure, it's possible that 316 goes the Silver Surfer 4 route and gains/holds value on the strength of a classic cover, but I'd much rather put my eggs in 299 long term.

But the bottom line is this, past growth isn't a predictor of future growth.  "What a book has done", is less important than "why has it done it".

Yep. All that makes sense but I consider other things as well. First, I am not going to sell my books for profit. They are going to my lady friend's little boy. I had been out of collecting for 20 years when my collection was stolen by a neighbor. So I am simply trying to buy a few of the key books I lost while they are affordable. My ASM collection from early 200's to 400 hurt the most. 

I never heard of Miles Morales until I took the boy to see "Into The Spider-Verse"(he is African-American and loves the character as it is relatable to him). He has a large collection of 12 inch super-hero action figures but has been moving into the 6 inch Marvel Legend figures. In order to make room to display the smaller figures we decided to box up the large ones. The only 12 inch figure he did not want put away was his Miles Morales Spider-man. So when I learned of Ultimate Fallout a while back I decided to get one for him while I can afford it. 

Miles is a new, young character that has lots of room for growth. I work at a hospital with a large African-American and Hispanic workforce and the kids all love Miles. So, I considered that when I decided to acquire this book. Not exactly orthodox but, as I said, I have no plans on selling what books I have left.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I'll give you an argument why 316 is the better book to get now. People can go back and forth on 299 and 300 (and 298, why not), but 316 is undeniably the first venom cover. And as the comic market becomes more about them as collectibles rather than any care for stories within, the cover is becoming more important now than ever before. Hence why the first GA Scarecrow cover is at least as expensive if not more than the first appearance of Scarecrow (where he is not on the cover). And since 299 and 300 have bene in the spotlight for a while, it's 316 that has more room to grow. 

Personally, I own none and spent the same price of a ASM 316 on Richard Dragon 5 instead. Because I am more into that key and I collect what I like, which is the ultimate recomendation and only advice worth giving.

Edited by William-James88