• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Welcomed . To keep or not to keep this JIM 83?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

I've posted a few times about my failed attempts to buy a JIM 83 in this market. I started looking a couple months ago right when it really took off so I had no luck. My plan had been to eventually sell off my TTA keys (pictured) to finance the JIM 83. 

I ended up buying this, probably overpaying ($6200) a little due to scarcity of deals, but even having it in hand I can't decide if it's worth losing my TTA's over. Mainly because the market is so crazy and Ant-man is one of the few characters who hasn't blown up yet so in the long run I may be better off just keeping those and moving on from the JIM, and also clearly the TTA keys are in higher more collectible grades.  If anything I wouldn't sell the TTA's for quite a while because I'm not selling while they're cold as ice.  

I normally am very decisive about keys and grails, but due to this market I'm overthinking everything. Just looking to get some different viewpoints. Thanks!

0507211201.jpg

0507211201a.jpg

0507211201c.jpg

Screenshot_20210504-222941~4.png

Edited by serling1978
Trouble uploading files...

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I don't understand. You bought a JIM 83 for 6200 but you don't want to sell your other books to buy the book you bought for 6200?

Fair question. I realize I probably wasn't very clear and a little jumbled there. I bought the JIM because I've been searching for a while and keep missing out and the price keeps jumping.  So I didn't want to wait it out for the TTA books to see similar jumps because I may have been priced out of the JIM by that point of it continues to rise. Now maybe I'm just feeling attached to the TTA's and trying to decide if it makes sense to wait to sell them, as in is there a reasonable expectation that they'll see bumps like other SA first appearances have. And to a more high level question, trying to decide if one mega key is worth more to me than multiple lower tier keys. I think it is, but I guess the reality of parting with my ant-man books made me stop and question. That's something for me to decide obviously, but I like to hear from others in the community. 

2 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Fair question. I realize I probably wasn't very clear and a little jumbled there. I bought the JIM because I've been searching for a while and keep missing out and the price keeps jumping.  So I didn't want to wait it out for the TTA books to see similar jumps because I may have been priced out of the JIM by that point of it continues to rise. Now maybe I'm just feeling attached to the TTA's and trying to decide if it makes sense to wait to sell them, as in is there a reasonable expectation that they'll see bumps like other SA first appearances have. And to a more high level question, trying to decide if one mega key is worth more to me than multiple lower tier keys. I think it is, but I guess the reality of parting with my ant-man books made me stop and question. That's something for me to decide obviously, but I like to hear from others in the community. 

Personally, I would be looking for alternatives to sell. Probably many more books, but less attachment. 

If that isn't an option, personally Thor is a much better character and you could probably pick up the AntMan stuff at less inflated prices

For me, age also comes into play. JiM is simply an older book, therefore more valuable as time goes on

Not sure i totally understand the question, but if you're a collector and you're not cash-pressed, certainly keep the JIM 83, the TTA 27, and the TTA 44.  The others are not market-scare so they will come back often.

22 minutes ago, Venomous72 said:

I’m assuming now that you bought the JIM you are forced to either sell the TTAs or the JIM.

Personally I would keep JIM. 

Also Thor >>>>> Ant Man

Yeah you summed it up in about 1000 less words than my fumbled attempt. 

I do technically have other stuff to sell to fund the JIM, but no other grail i would part with and it would take too many of my other runs of series that i wouldn't sell because runs are important to me. So yep, it's the Ant-Man books or nothing.

I mean I don’t see Antman ever blowing up. Sure movies may continue and allow that book to maintain interest but Thor is a much more desired character. If you have to sell, sell the Ant Man.

UNLESS you really love Ant Man. But if you want the better book visually and investment wise my vote is for Jimmers 83

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I mean I don’t see Antman ever blowing up. Sure movies may continue and allow that book to maintain interest but Thor is a much more desired character. If you have to sell, sell the Ant Man.

UNLESS you really love Ant Man. But if you want the better book visually and investment wise my vote is for Jimmers 83

I also am skeptical about Ant-Man ever blowing up, but a lot of crazy stuff has happened in the market lately that i probably wouldn't have guessed.  Like how much Loki's intro has taken off.  I always thought that book (and Kang's intro for that matter) was severely undervalued, but Loki had already been a huge part of the MCU for years so it seemed like it just was never going to catch fire if it hadn't already done so.  However, seems like these days now that Disney started the next wave Wandavision everyone is now willing to re-visit how they value long standing MCU characters as long as that character still has an upcoming future in the MCU.  2021 collector: "An upcoming Loki series?  Cool, i'll now pay thousands of dollars for his intro even though he was already in a billion movies before and i wouldn't pay those prices then."  Also a 2021 collector:  "Iron Man died and therefore I can't speculate on him.  I wonder what's up with Daredevil?..."

So it's that logic, or lack of logic, that makes me think maaaaayyyyybe Ant-Man could blow up in the bizarro world that we currently live in.

Out of those TTA's the one that would be hardest for me to let go of for me would be the 44. Can you let go of some of the TTA's? I was going to sell X-men 2 through 12 a few years ago and I sold a GA cap instead of the 4 and 12. Even before the prices went up on 4 I was really glad I kept 2 books for characters I liked. The Jim is a no brainer but if you have attachment to any of those TTA's look around and see if you can only sell 4/5 of them and throw something else out to sell. Don't worry about a book "blowing up", that says enough that you don't love the books and the best advice is always buy what you love and you did with the JIM 83! 2c  

I recommend like suggested above selling off smaller value books. I can attest that you’d be surprised what gold you might have in those boxes.

That said, if you decide to sell the TTA 44, I’m interested.

Each to their own of course, but the JIM is a great key and a real iconic bit of history. The TTA will never be in that league so I certainly wouldn’t be getting rid of the JIM over those. 

sorry if I’ve read your post wrong ! 

Beautiful looking JIM83. Especially for the grade. And great signature placement! Doesn't interfere with the art. 

So well done on the book! 

In light of the recent market run up, I've been very hesitant to sell keys for keys.  The question is, would you ever realistically replace the TTA27 if you suddenly miss it?

The realization that I wouldn't want to pay these prices to replace some of my bigger keys has made me hesitant to sell them. 

So, if you aren't cash strapped, keep it all. If you need to make sacrifices, start with smaller books and work your way up. 

Congrats on the great pick up! 

6 hours ago, JazzMan said:

It's a well established rite of passage on these boards.

What is?  The JIM 83 or the sweet rims?

And to OP, I'm keeping the JIM 83 all day, every day.  Pre MCU, Antman was probably a C list character.  Thor has always been one of the more well known Marvel characters.  I don't see that changing in the future.  Thus, to me, there will always be demand for JIM 83.