• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Welcomed . To keep or not to keep this JIM 83?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2021 at 6:44 PM, piper said:

I recommend like suggested above selling off smaller value books. I can attest that you’d be surprised what gold you might have in those boxes.

That said, if you decide to sell the TTA 44, I’m interested.

Yeah I've been thinking about that. My problem is I really value having a large collection made up "complete" runs (I normally stop collecting a series sometime around the early 1990s). And I would hate to sell off a run and have to start it all over again. Especially in today's market. Years ago I sold off a large Iron Man run and it pained me for a while but over a number of years I was able to build it back up from #1-#300. But it would take multiple large runs like that to cover JIM 83 so I've got some tough decisions to make.... I guess there could be worse problems to have 🤷‍♂️

of course, the TTA characters are not the characters in the movies, well at least not the current versions (they are michael douglas and michelle pfeiffer), so that doesn't help long term prospects. i'd sell the TTAs to get a yellow claw 1 if you really want an early marvel character, Jimmy Woo! I would try to figure out a way to keep 27 and 44 regardless. of course, selling the other 3 doesn't make a dent in your JIM 83...

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

Yeah I've been thinking about that. My problem is I really value having a large collection made up "complete" runs (I normally stop collecting a series sometime around the early 1990s). And I would hate to sell off a run and have to start it all over again. Especially in today's market. Years ago I sold off a large Iron Man run and it pained me for a while but over a number of years I was able to build it back up from #1-#300. But it would take multiple large runs like that to cover JIM 83 so I've got some tough decisions to make.... I guess there could be worse problems to have 🤷‍♂️

2nd job?

On 5/7/2021 at 6:28 PM, Buzzetta said:

Keep the best of the Antman books.  Keep the JIM.  Walk around your house and do a hard cull to get rid of all the $5-100 items you really do not need.   You will be amazed at how quickly it adds up.  

The JIM presents VERY well for the grade. 

This is the way.

I could see moving 4 of the Ant books but TTA 27 is very early Marvel; there’s three 10-cent books from the birth of the Marvel Universe, that one and FF 1 & 2. Pre-internet, the book was apocryphal in comics shops, one of the least common of the Marvel keys, if not the least. JIM 83 is the bigger key, but they are both top 10 Marvel silver keys, so I would try not to let the 27 go if I were in your shoes.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:45 AM, Motor City Rob said:

I would personally sell the JIM83 and some of your others to buy a higher grade JIM83. I'm in the camp of having one grail is better than having multiple smaller keys. But you are the only one who knows what will make you happy. Good luck with the decision. 

Good advice.  I'm happy to own one, but I'm already not super happy with the grade. 

8 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Good advice.  I'm happy to own one, but I'm already not super happy with the grade. 

8 hours ago, serling1978 said:

You and I think similarly.  Love the grail, even with a low grade...but then I get the itch to upgrade.

12 hours ago, serling1978 said:

If you're not happy with it already, it's probably going to bug you forever. Luckily, JIM 83 is still selling high, so you'll probably break even at least.

8 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

If you're not happy with it already, it's probably going to bug you forever. Luckily, JIM 83 is still selling high, so you'll probably break even at least.

Listen, there's only one sure way to make everybody happy. And that's to have enough happy helmets on hand so everybody gets one.

"Happy Happy Joy Joy" - Stinky Wizzleteats | The Ren & Stimpy Show | NickRewind - YouTube