• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ordering at metropolis
2 2

54 posts in this topic

I'm having delays everywhere ... outfits that once took 3 days are now over a week ... sometimes 2 weeks. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm having delays everywhere ... outfits that once took 3 days are now over a week ... sometimes 2 weeks. GOD BLESS....

If only it was a couple of weeks...

1 minute ago, piper said:

If only it was a couple of weeks...

A lot of it is with the carriers ... USPS tracking is not on point anymore ... too many years of budget cuts and increased expectations ... GOD BLESS...

18 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Yes, their raw in-house grade will probably be a point higher than the CGC grade.  Who's isn't?  But they talk in detail to me and answer all my questions very honestly.  Unlike others.

Probably?  Their in-house grading is and apparently always has been a good full grade above Overstreet Guidelines for raw books.  And when I buy comics, I don't want talk, I want the merchandise that I'm paying for.

AFA My Comic Shop, their grading used to be a good full grade below Overstreet, but in recent years it seems to have tightened up to being fairly accurate now, damn it!  Used to get some pretty good deals from them in the past.

27 minutes ago, fifties said:

Probably?  Their in-house grading is and apparently always has been a good full grade above Overstreet Guidelines for raw books.  And when I buy comics, I don't want talk, I want the merchandise that I'm paying for.

AFA My Comic Shop, their grading used to be a good full grade below Overstreet, but in recent years it seems to have tightened up to being fairly accurate now, damn it!  Used to get some pretty good deals from them in the past.

wildly_fanciful_statement.  Metropolis recognizes a few things CGC doesn't....for example staple-holes for certain File Copies....and that will cause a point difference in grande.  Buy they don't lie.  They're by-far the most honest.

26 minutes ago, ChillMan said:

wildly_fanciful_statement.  Metropolis recognizes a few things CGC doesn't....for example staple-holes for certain File Copies....and that will cause a point difference in grande.  Buy they don't lie.  They're by-far the most honest.

IMHO of course they don't lie; they simply overgrade as compared to Overstreet standards, and have been doing that for ages.

11 hours ago, woowoo said:

This looks better than some 9.4's i have seen great looking book that appears to have been under graded from the front cover scan.

It would be greatly appreciated by some of us boardies here if you could please hop over to the Promise Collection thread and show us some examples of books from that collection that you believe have been seemingly undergraded from their front cover scans, as nobody has been able to post any to this point in time so far. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It would be greatly appreciated by some of us boardies here if you could please hop over to the Promise Collection thread and show us some examples of books from that collection that you believe have been seemingly undergraded from their front cover scans, as nobody has been able to post any to this point in time so far. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

:hi:Hey @lou_fine sorry but after 7 Ales and 5 Srewball peanut butter shots I don't understand what your saying :taptaptap::taptaptap::screwy:

3 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Nobody accused Metropolis of lying.  Metropolis over-grades to Overstreet or CGC standards and they would be the last major dealer I would trust to grade accurately.  Greg Reece, Bob Storms or mycomicshop are miles better.

Thanks guys. I wont throw in the towel just yet, maybe they just don't like me :)

I'll call Monday and find out what the hold up is. Its a CGC book so grading isn't an issue.  A long time dealer grading thread might be in order though if there isn't one already. My vote for most over graded dealer books would have to go to Mr. Nacca though. He takes the cake for sure....the whole cake lol

Edited by Courageous Cat

5 hours ago, fifties said:

This is completely correct, in my experience.  I've tried telling people this and they still think MCS is grading like they used to.  But they most definitely are not.  Some of their inventory is still there from the tighter period and that may be why some people are confused, but all of their newer inventory is graded pretty straight- not over, not under.

As for CC/Metropolis, I guess after buying many, many books from them, I don't find them to be any more or less inconsistent than anyone else, including CGC.  I've seen a Vampirella 1 in a 9.0 slab that had a 2" color breaking corner crease.  And I've seen a Vampirella 1 at Metropolis that was graded 9.0 and looked considerably better than that slabbed copy.  The main difference I see, is that I don't think Metropolis usually undergrades books.  I've never seen very strictly graded books from them.  And I think a lot of buyers are buying at a raw grade, imagining they will clean/press/certify and get a higher grade (jimbo_7071 excluded), and when that doesn't happen, they seem to feel cheated.

I've seen a lot of that.  2c

2 hours ago, woowoo said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:hi:Hey @lou_fine sorry but after 7 Ales and 5 Srewball peanut butter shots I don't understand what your saying :taptaptap::taptaptap::screwy:

No worries as I was just referring to all of the seemingly overgraded scans of books from the Promise Collection which some of the boardies are pointing out in the "They're Still Out There" thread on the GA boards here, and yet have still not found a scan of a single possibly undergraded book from this partcuar collection so far:  hm  (shrug)

I bought a consignment book from them a few weeks ago and got it sooner than expected.  Within 2 weeks. 

Last year I bought a few off consignment and they all seemed to take 5+weeks, but I cut them some slack with the pandemic. 

They have no excuse for your situation. You've been more than patient. 

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No worries as I was just referring to all of the seemingly overgraded scans of books from the Promise Collection which some of the boardies are pointing out in the "They're Still Out There" thread on the GA boards here, and yet have still not found a scan of a single possibly undergraded book from this partcuar collection so far:  hm  (shrug)

You wont find a under graded book they all are over graded.   ( It has always been who you know Not what you know in this world )

Of the three times I ordered from them (a few years back - all EC comics), one came back from CGC a point lower than the grade they had guesstimated and the other two came back a point lower AND with undisclosed restoration. Needless to say, I don't have any recent dealings with them to compare as I never ordered from them again.

24 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Of the three times I ordered from them (a few years back - all EC comics), one came back from CGC a point lower than the grade they had guesstimated and the other two came back a point lower AND with undisclosed restoration. Needless to say, I don't have any recent dealings with them to compare as I never ordered from them again.

Hope that you sent back the 2 restored books...