• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your greatest CGC disappointment?
1 1

164 posts in this topic

I've only been sending books in to be graded for a short while now, but I've already received several disappointing returns: 3 books with the dreaded RESTORED label which I had no idea had any restoration done. Granted, I purchased these books back in the mid 1980s when I had no idea "restoration" was even a thing. I was just trying to fill holes in my collection. Here's the one that broke my heart, tho:

FF5.jpg

Carmine Infantino was going to be at either NYCC or the Carbo show in the early 2010s. I had several books ready for him, but I really wanted a Batman 181. Bought one at my LCS 7.0-7.5 shape with great gloss. I never looked at it, just put it in the window bag and shipped it with everything else to the facilitator.  When I got it back - it was a 0.5 because the pinup was missing.  UGH.

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Does tape alone get a purple label?

I guess not. I assumed it did but this is what comes up when I searched for it:

"While tape could be considered restoration because it is usually used to repair defects, its prevalence on comic books has led collectors to accept tape as a defect rather than restoration. As such, CGC does not recognize tape as restoration, rather downgrading a comic book accordingly if it is present."

3 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

See even old ones like myself learn something new everyday.lol

Taaaape but complete!

It irks me that incomplete doesnt get green!

Cause most 0.5s are incomplete oye !

2021_03_30 5_38 PM Office Lens.jpg

1 minute ago, TheOldCollector said:

That's crazy, then why do people have green labels with marks for cover being detached not just slap some tape on it and get a blue?

True and I think its graded as if the tape isnt there or some such, but check out the grading restoration part of the forum for up to date answers, I'm not as familiar with it all.

10 minutes ago, Popeyeak49 said:

When I submitted this I was expecting a 9.4. Sent it in un-pressed and the grader’s notes indicated finger bends on the front cover and a crease on the back cover (which I can’t see). It’s the nicest 7.5 I’ve ever seen…

5AB124C2-06E4-4896-BBA4-A74D9CC2362C.jpeg

Sometimes it is not worth getting graded if you plan on re-selling. For books like that Batman #251, many people will look at the grade and not the book itself. It is a beautiful book.

5 hours ago, Namtak said:

Its still an epic copy dont hide yourself in the fridge just for that lol

giphy-7.gif

I'm just glad that its complete, that alone should give it the grade bump, but I'm thinking the cover may detached if take were removed, ige still had 2.0 cover detachment books so idk

I'll leave what I wrote in this edit, but it was more wishful thinking that complete "should definitely grade higher", I mean it could only be considered as a candidate for a bump in grade due to other factors be it press or tape removal, hope that clarifies 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM