• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your greatest CGC disappointment?
1 1

164 posts in this topic

Easy one for me to answer.  It was when CGC gave the ASM 121 I bought off the rack a PLOD - right edge trimmed.  It hadn't been trimmed since the day it rolled off the printing press in 1973, and became the topic of a long thread many years ago.  CGC never corrected their mistake:

ASM121PLOD.JPG.30171dd997eec9224c549d68727246fa.JPG

Edited by namisgr

8 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Easy one for me to answer.  It was when CGC gave the ASM 121 I bought off the rack a PLOD - right edge trimmed.  It hadn't been trimmed since the day it rolled off the printing press in 1973, and became the topic of a long thread many years ago.  CGC never corrected their mistake:

I thought I remembered another similar argument many moons ago but that one was rectified.  I would think that if you owned this book since day 1 and it's been in your possession all this time that CGC would agree to review this one again.

10 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I cannot imagine how mad I would be if that had happened to me on a book that I had bought new off the stands!!  I think I would take it out of the slab to be honest.  It is a really nice looking book. :foryou:

Can I narrow it down to just the top 10???  

How about the one that caused me to stop grading with them for 8 yrs. Sent in a Batman Adventures 12, purchased on these boards, definitely a 9.8 candidate.  Comes back 9.0 with a crunched corner. Thankfully I know Matt Nelson, come to find out that cgc dropped the book, graded it, and never even told me this. Had to resend it to Matt to at least have him press/resub it to a 9.4. Then had to argue to get credit back for the diff in grade. 

CGC if you're reading this, you're slipping BAD.  I've been grading since day 1, hopefully you get your act together, hire more people as needed, and remember that your customers are worth more even though you don't see that right now. 

Edited by cujobyte

My biggest disappointment is not a grade I received, but one I saw on a resubmission (after it had passed through a couple of different hands). It was a GA book with distinctive distributor marks, so I knew it was the same copy. It had originally been graded an 8.5, which I was happy with, I'd purchased it raw as a VF years earlier. A nice looking book, but with a 1&1/2" NCB crease in the front cover, almost invisible on the outside, but with the sort of fiber damage along the crease that can't usually be pressed out visible on the inside. Maybe some genius figured out a way to "iron out" the crease completely, or maybe CGC just missed it on the resub, but I later saw the book in a 9.4 holder.  

I'm not sure if I was disappointed that I hadn't figured out how to turn it into a 9.4, or that CGC had given it the grade when I doubted it was worthy. lol

19 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Seems like a candidate for a resub. I seem to recall a thread about a JIM 83 that went from blue to purple (trimmed) and back to blue on subsequent resubs. 

I also remember a thread about some undergrounds from the early 70s that were tagged for "color touch", though the submitter had bought them new. It turned out that the printer (I forget which one), had actually touched up some of the print run before it shipped out. 

46 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

I thought I remembered another similar argument many moons ago but that one was rectified.  I would think that if you owned this book since day 1 and it's been in your possession all this time that CGC would agree to review this one again.

They did not.

47 minutes ago, ender said:

I cannot imagine how mad I would be if that had happened to me on a book that I had bought new off the stands!!  I think I would take it out of the slab to be honest.  It is a really nice looking book. :foryou:

I cracked it out, and years later sold it to a dealer friend with full disclosure of its crazy grading history.

54 minutes ago, rjpb said:

My biggest disappointment is not a grade I received, but one I saw on a resubmission (after it had passed through a couple of different hands). It was a GA book with distinctive distributor marks, so I knew it was the same copy. It had originally been graded an 8.5, which I was happy with, I'd purchased it raw as a VF years earlier. A nice looking book, but with a 1&1/2" NCB crease in the front cover, almost invisible on the outside, but with the sort of fiber damage along the crease that can't usually be pressed out visible on the inside. Maybe some genius figured out a way to "iron out" the crease completely, or maybe CGC just missed it on the resub, but I later saw the book in a 9.4 holder.  

I'm not sure if I was disappointed that I hadn't figured out how to turn it into a 9.4, or that CGC had given it the grade when I doubted it was worthy. lol

I ran for the hills and sold all my GA Detective and Batman books after that Batman 11 that saw a grade bump after being sold and then resold on HA... only for Hammer to point out the book had been trimmed between the two auctions despite it sitting in a Universal Holder.:tonofbricks:

17 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I ran for the hills and sold all my GA Detective and Batman books after that Batman 11 that saw a grade bump after being sold and then resold on HA... only for Hammer to point out the book had been trimmed between the two auctions despite it sitting in a Universal Holder.:tonofbricks:

Wait, what? ???

lol That's easy.  Apparently, the US Department of State has better turnaround times than CGC. 

I just posted this there after Adamantium wanted to know if my book had moved out of received. 

In short: Sent in Turtles book.  Then I sent in my passport.  Got the passport back today.  Turtles book still in received.  

49 minutes ago, namisgr said:

They did not.

48 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I cracked it out, and years later sold it to a dealer friend with full disclosure of its crazy grading history.

I remember that, or at least when the thread was active.   I have to ask, you ever find out what happened to the book after you sold it to the dealer? 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

I remember that, or at least when the thread was active.   I have to ask, you ever find out what happened to the book after you sold it to the dealer? 

The guy sold the vast majority of his inventory raw, even many in that price range.  I imagine he sold it the way he acquired it.

42 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:
59 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I ran for the hills and sold all my GA Detective and Batman books after that Batman 11 that saw a grade bump after being sold and then resold on HA... only for Hammer to point out the book had been trimmed between the two auctions despite it sitting in a Universal Holder.

Wait, what? ???

He might be referring to the Jason Ewert micro-trimming fiasco from years ago.  

CGC graded books were being purchased by Ewert.  He would then resubmit them to CGC and they would later show up in auctions with higher grades.  Hammer figured out that the edges of the books were being micro-trimmed by Ewert before he resubmitted them, and they were slipping past CGC's restoration detection and getting blue/unrestored labels.  Hammer provided before and after scans for the books that proved it was happening.  If I remember correctly, I believe Ewert was eventually banned from being able to submit books to CGC.

Edited by Domo Arigato

1 minute ago, Amazeron said:

I had no idea CGC gave 0.5s for complete books, doesn’t really make sense...wouldn’t a complete book be a whole number?

Not sure myself and with the tape, not sure what's holding what or of it's worth a try, does look like slices along the spine......... that may be too far gone idk 

I'm still thankful otherwise I'd not have afforded it, but now that its mine idk

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not sure myself and with the tape, not sure what's holding what or of it's worth a try, does look like slices along the spine......... that may be too far gone idk 

I'm still thankful otherwise I'd not have afforded it, but now that its mine idk

Just saying here... but do you think the top right of the book could be pressed to bring it to a solid '1.0' and would that even be worth it?