• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your greatest CGC disappointment?
1 1

164 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, HI-KEEBA! said:

Green is for a book with one flaw that "unfairly" ruins the grade. Old incomplete books rarely have one flaw.

That's rational I guess  :)

When compared to mvs makes sense too, or the tatooz 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Just saying here... but do you think the top right of the book could be pressed to bring it to a solid '1.0' and would that even be worth it?

Any grade bump would be worth it yes, just not sure if it's really feasible with the tape hiding flaws that aren't in the graders notes

1 minute ago, HI-KEEBA! said:

"After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book."

By that reasoning almost definitely the grade bump may come from tape removal. To see if it "served a function", which may be discernable by an experienced presser in hand. It's on the back burner for now though (thumbsu

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Taaaape but complete!

It irks me that incomplete doesnt get green!

Cause most 0.5s are incomplete oye !

2021_03_30 5_38 PM Office Lens.jpg

I will say that in the pic and in hand it would result in some of the print and colored being pulled up with the tape, but in the end "may still be worth it" sort of. Silly stan already signed over the word bubble, lot to consider. 

I have removed tape myself before and got lucky, so dont want to ruin a record of "1" time and done  :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, HI-KEEBA! said:

Two different events (thumbsu

Too much history. :boo:

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember something about a scenario with artificially aged edges,  but had forgotten about it.

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There was the guy that said you could reverse trimming on early marvel books with a fine tweezers and turn it into marvel chipping.  I stared at him in silence when I was told that one. 

Also have you seen this latest one. :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, HI-KEEBA! said:

I guess you weren't kidding when you said you don't smoke weed hm

And btw MST3K is scripted, not ad libbed like those dorks!

Lol 😂 I don’t.

I go to the shows and may have a couple of drinks but no weed. I like to enjoy the shows and not wake up the next day wondering where I went the night before. 

I watched a friend learn that the hard way.  I had tickets for the stones in 97. Three of us went and only two of us remember the show.  The other one was so wasted we couldn’t move him off the train.  

side note - We figured he would figure it out once he ended up on the other side of Long Island when the train had reached the end of the line.  He got home the next day. 😂  He was a handful to deal with at that show. 

54 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

He might be referring to the Jason Ewert micro-trimming fiasco from years ago.  

CGC graded books were being purchased by Ewert.  He would then resubmit them to CGC and they would later show up in auctions with higher grades.  Hammer figured out that the edges of the books were being micro-trimmed by Ewert before he resubmitted them, and they were slipping past CGC's restoration detection and getting blue/unrestored labels.  Hammer provided before and after scans for the books that proved it was happening.  If I remember correctly, I believe Ewert was eventually banned from being able to submit books to CGC.

Thanks Domo. I knew about the Ewert fiasco, but wasn't aware of how it was actually was discovered. We're these the books that Doug Schmell was involved with?

10 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Also have you seen this latest one. :facepalm:

Nothing surprises me anymore 

1 minute ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Thanks Domo. I knew about the Ewert fiasco, but wasn't aware of how it was actually was discovered. We're these the books that Doug Schmell was involved with?

That I'm not sure of.  I'm not even completely sure that I'm remembering the Ewert fiasco accurately.....but I think I am. 

Too much history over too many years. :preach:

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There was the guy that said you could reverse trimming on early marvel books with a fine tweezers and turn it into marvel chipping.  I stared at him in silence when I was told that one. 

Hero Restoration is now touting their ability to untrim books. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad

1 minute ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Hero Restoration is now touting their ability to untrim books. 

By doing what I described in an effort to get a blue label?