• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leyendecker Cover $4 Million

20 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

Wasn't someone saying in another thread that artists like Leyendecker have stagnated?

I had mentioned in another post that I don't follow illustration art trends very closely, but that Elvgren and illustration art generally didn't seem to be enjoying the same vertical rise as other collectibles have over the years. I'd mentioned Leyendecker was an artist on my "wish list" in that same post. Perhaps Leyendecker transcends the flat trajectory within the illustration art category. Kind of makes me happy, as I like to see the best of the best recognized and valued.

Edited by stinkininkin

I remember when this Leyendecker came up on Heritage in 2013 and I had (unrealized) aspirations to go after at the time. It went for a measly 194.5k. If the "football kid" goes for 4 million today, what would something like this hammer for...

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/painting/joseph-christian-leyendecker-american-1874-1951-honeymoon-the-saturday-evening-post-cover-july-17-/a/5126-78299.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515 

Edited by stinkininkin

40 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I remember when this Leyendecker came up on Heritage in 2013 and I had (unrealized) aspirations to go after at the time. It went for a measly 194.5k. If the "football kid" goes for 4 million today, what would something like this hammer for...

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/painting/joseph-christian-leyendecker-american-1874-1951-honeymoon-the-saturday-evening-post-cover-july-17-/a/5126-78299.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515 

That is certainly a great one, and its value just took a nice jump.  BTW, the football kid sold for $4 mil, that was an announcement, not a prediction!  There seemed to be three different phone bidders at the end, lots of drama with excitement and attitude that stretched into 15-20 minutes.  David

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

No football so probably still wouldn't break $200k.  :p

22 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Beautifully executed, but not the subject/imagery I would have expected to be the one to break the bank.  

I think it's just about a perfect Leyendecker.  Not as great as the boy scout bond poster, but a brilliant example of his impressionist-esque brushwork.  I can totally see your point, but I find it a really striking image.  

23 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I had mentioned in another post that I don't follow illustration art trends very closely, but that Elvgren and illustration art generally didn't seem to be enjoying the same vertical rise as other collectibles have over the years. I'd mentioned Leyendecker was an artist on my "wish list" in that same post. Perhaps Leyendecker transcends the flat trajectory within the illustration art category. Kind of makes me happy, as I like to see the best of the best recognized and valued.

I hope so too as it’s brilliant work but at a level so much higher than past Leydendeckers it just seems like a huge outlier - the ASM 328 of Leyendeckers - unless future sales back it up

Huh, a quick check of Leyendecker sales history shows 6 other examples over 200k just in the last year or two.   They definitely seem to be up in general although the 4m is still a shocker 

Previous leyendecker  HA record was football too (attached) at 365k in 2015.   

This 4m piece was fresh to market after 100 years of being in the same family, but wow. 

F892A152-6254-4E80-BF2B-6A725F271C2E.png

I too wondered if the football connection was the driver of this 10x outlier. Still this is a solid 6 figure artist that seems to transcend the trend of "what's hot now" that seems to drive the comic markets. There's no movie speculation here, just quality art. I mean the guys' signature alone is money. 

6 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I too wondered if the football connection was the driver of this 10x outlier. Still this is a solid 6 figure artist that seems to transcend the trend of "what's hot now" that seems to drive the comic markets. There's no movie speculation here, just quality art. I mean the guys' signature alone is money. 

Sure; I think most everyone appreciates his mastery but before this result you might have said it was incredible art but stagnant, outdated, almost Victorian and with no enduring connection to the present (Saturday evening post isn’t exactly relevant ).   

There’s so many ways to spin adjectives.   Ultimately adjectives don’t drive results, buyers do.   And something seems to be up with respect to this market in terms of buyer interest that wasn’t at this level two years ago.   Based on a quick review of recent results, anyways .

Edited by Bronty

On 5/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, stinkininkin said:

Re: Honeymoon

Artistry/technique aside, does the painting's title along the divorce rate and/or slowing marriage rate influence a future sale/auction ?  Just as a football theme might influence the $4M hammer price ?

If the winning bidder of the $4M painting emerges, we'll come up with more justifications for the price/demand.  It would also be nice to know the underbidder.